Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Check out the New Ipad Pro 10.5

Great information - for those that own an iPad 10.5, can anyone tell me the temperature operating range? I work outside a lot in direct sunlight and as long as I am using a Hoodman visor, brightness isn't an issue, but once the tablet begins to heat up, I start getting image transmission issues and in some cases, the tablet overheats and shuts down. Any suggestions?

Fortunately I do not live in a hot environment, it does get warm +30°C in the summer. The 10.5" have considerable more muscle then before, it has 4GB of ram so I don't think it will be taxed hard at all with running the GoApp. Heat of course also is generated by the display so if you need to run at full brightness it will get warm. If you use any kind of hood you should be able to tone down the screen brightness and that should help considerable. Sorry I can't be more specific, but can tell you that I was able to run mine without any hood in bright sunshine.

Disclamer: I am a big fan of IOS devises and how well they work with DJI products. Other people have a hate on for Apple and will tell their side of the story and much for Android. I don't mind the closed environment as long as it works as intended. One big reason I am not for the Crystal Sky is that it is specific to DJI and can't be used for anything else or run any other apps.

Note this tread is about info about the 10.5" iPad Pro, and not comparing it to Crystal Sky. As far as I know Crystal Sky is not available to purchase, and I am sure another tread will compare later when released.

From Apples website:
Environmental Requirements
  • Operating ambient temperature: 0° to 35° C (32° to 95° F)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 3000 m (10,000 feet)

Last edited:
The CrystalSky's specs only list 104 degrees max, which is not all that much better, especially here in AZ. ;)

It's also very possible that Apple put a conservative number on the iPad, and they're both likely to have issues at around the same temp, so I wouldn't really consider the CS a solution for heat issues.

Personally, I'll probably go with the 10.5" iPad Pro for many reasons. About the only things that I'd be very interested in the CS for are brightness and the way it can be mounted on the new remote (which would cost another $1k). If the new iPad Pro really is usable in the sun, I won't have any regrets about choosing it.

Just got the iPad PRO 10.5 it does not fit on the tablet holder unless you use excessive force, however with a bit of LEGO and some epoxy resin your good to go!

Its night and day different to my old IPAD mini 3 which was super stutter & laggy, will take it for a quick test flight later.

Nice to have vector scope & paradenow...shame you can't have that as well as the FPV cam unless somebody knows how to do that!

Will just have to try and modify the hoodman aviators now for some sunshade!

Attachments

• IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4542.JPG
    IMG_4542.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 60
Fortunately I do not live in a hot environment, it does get warm +30°C in the summer. The 10.5" have considerable more muscle then before, it has 4GB of ram so I don't think it will be taxed hard at all with running the GoApp. Heat of course also is generated by the display so if you need to run at full brightness it will get warm. If you use any kind of hood you should be able to tone down the screen brightness and that should help considerable. Sorry I can't be more specific, but can tell you that I was able to run mine without any hood in bright sunshine.

Disclamer: I am a big fan of IOS devises and how well they work with DJI products. Other people have a hate on for Apple and will tell their side of the story and much for Android. I don't mind the closed environment as long as it works as intended. One big reason I am not for the Crystal Sky is that it is specific to DJI and can't be used for anything else or run any other apps.

Note this tread is about info about the 10.5" iPad Pro, and not comparing it to Crystal Sky. As far as I know Crystal Sky is not available to purchase, and I am sure another tread will compare later when released.

From Apples website:
Environmental Requirements
  • Operating ambient temperature: 0° to 35° C (32° to 95° F)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 3000 m (10,000 feet)

just a dumb question for solution. would an icepack battery (you use in cool boxes) applied or strapped on the back of an iPad help to cool it down?
since it would not soak it in any way could it be a solution in extreme hot weather?

when i used my samsung s4 active (watertight) in summer it shut down in me in summer (Hungary - Europe) i closed all openings - usd port - and cooled it down under water... powered back on and continued... later it died on me (like half a year not recognizing the sim card). i got an iphone 5s from a friend to use (using since) read job's biography and started to love apple.
also to be mentioned, DJI did develope their apps and software for apple units working best on them. i noticed that.

but back to my question :)
cheers

just a dumb question for solution. would an icepack battery (you use in cool boxes) applied or strapped on the back of an iPad help to cool it down?
since it would not soak it in any way could it be a solution in extreme hot weather?

when i used my samsung s4 active (watertight) in summer it shut down in me in summer (Hungary - Europe) i closed all openings - usd port - and cooled it down under water... powered back on and continued... later it died on me (like half a year not recognizing the sim card). i got an iphone 5s from a friend to use (using since) read job's biography and started to love apple.
also to be mentioned, DJI did develope their apps and software for apple units working best on them. i noticed that.

but back to my question :)
cheers

Not a dumb question at all. Have seen many people using different solutions like some sort of cooling, on the back of devises when it was really hot.

As I mentioned the 10.5 is very powerful and it might work just fine as is. If you can turn down brightness on the screen would also help.
If you are in an environment that is very hot, I think you would have issues whatever devise you use, and your solution would help.

Will try to post some pictures of my modifications of the holder later today. Total cost: 1$.

After mod.jpg Spring showing after mod..jpg Here is my modified holder with the iPad Pro 10.5 attached. As you can see it is a very bright display.
On the second photo you can see the return-spring being exposed, when the holder is fully extended after modification.
Total cost for this mod was 1$, picked up a foam-sheet at the local craft store to replace the original that were destroyed when I removed it to access the screws that holds everything together under the foam.

Last edited:
Chiming in,I recently purchased the 10.5 and it fits but sketchy when putting it in place. Almost to the breaking point. All that said, can't say I would bother buying another holder.
Great tablet!

Chiming in,I recently purchased the 10.5 and it fits but sketchy when putting it in place. Almost to the breaking point. All that said, can't say I would bother buying another holder.
Great tablet!
No need to force the iPad in. You can do what I did, and modify the holder to accept the wider 10.5" iPad, or you can get the extension from Polar Pro.

I started a thread the day or so after the 10.5" iPad was announced.
Was of course concerned about the few mm diff in size that looked like it would not fit the Inspire 2 controller.

Well received the 10.5" iPad. And I'm not sure I'm comfortable forcing the controller enough to make it fit. I suppose you could remove / modify the rubber top/bottom grips form the controller to allow a bit more room. Might get a fit that way. Or the other mod already mentioned.

I ordered the Polar Pro adapter. Just tried it this morning actually.
Was a bit disappointed with the loose fit of the adapter sliding on the top of the controller. But with a iPad squeezed in there, I guess its snug enough to move around with it. Can be creative with some tape/padding to snug up that fit if it bothers me enough.

But...
My real reason for the reply here is (just repeating what someone said in my original thread)
Adding the Polar Pro adapter also gives that extra margin of room to allow the iPad 10.5" to be used while still in a skin/cover/case. (which I've always preferred)
(Have a clear TPU case on order from Amazon, should be here tomorrow)

Finally made (3D printed and chemically treated) my iPad Pro 10.5" mount, accepts the iPad in a case , or not and holds very securely :)

Attachments

• IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3670.JPG
    IMG_3670.JPG
    609.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    894.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 48
Thx Rich, yes the Mini 4 is a great device and have been using it but getting older and my eyes are not what they used to, also I am a pixel-peeper and quite **** when it comes to my photos so having the extra space along with the new screen helps. Unfortunately Apple might dump the Mini, some say it will be discontinued, hope that that is not the case and an update will come along.

My eyes are getting old or, well are old but I don't quite understand how pixel-peeping comes into play with the iPad. I can understand pixel-peeping when on a monitor, but on an iPad I'm not so sure about. I usually just check to make sure things are in focus and save the real looking for when I am back home on a monitor.

My eyes are getting old or, well are old but I don't quite understand how pixel-peeping comes into play with the iPad. I can understand pixel-peeping when on a monitor, but on an iPad I'm not so sure about. I usually just check to make sure things are in focus and save the real looking for when I am back home on a monitor.

Since you quoted my message, and out of context, that was a direct answer to Rich, I will attempt to explain/answer you. For me, a better/brighter/bigger display makes it easier (at least for me) to adjust the focus to best possible. This will help me out, when I later view my images on my monitor. Hope that helps you understand my comment about my reasons, for using the new iPad Pro 10.5 vs. Mini 4.

Last edited:
I also have an extremely tight fit with the 10.5 ipadPro. At a breaking point. The op must have broken his extender earlier and not realized as the supported dimensions are smaller than the ipadPro.

Since you quoted my message, and out of context, that was a direct answer to Rich, I will attempt to explain/answer you. For me, a better/brighter/bigger display makes it easier (at least for me) to adjust the focus to best possible. This will help me out, when I later view my images on my monitor. Hope that helps you understand my comment about my reasons, for using the new iPad Pro 10.5 vs. Mini 4.

Fair enough. My main comment was in response to your pixel-peeping comment. For me, it didn't make sense. However, to desire a larger display makes sense.

600 nits on brightness may be enough for some but not me. The CrystalSky high comes in at 800 nits, the ultra at 1500. The Atomos Inferno that we use in the field for our video work comes in at 1500 and I wouldn't want anything else.
There are plenty of third party apps that can be used with the Mavic to hold a larger tablet. That has never been an issue. The iPad screen brightness has been the issue. DJI realized this as other manufacturers that make small video monitors for field video work. The SmallHD focus is coming out to address this very issue for video people that want a brighter monitor than the LCD monitor on their camera.

600 nits on brightness may be enough for some but not me. The CrystalSky high comes in at 800 nits, the ultra at 1500. The Atomos Inferno that we use in the field for our video work comes in at 1500 and I wouldn't want anything else.
There are plenty of third party apps that can be used with the Mavic to hold a larger tablet. That has never been an issue. The iPad screen brightness has been the issue. DJI realized this as other manufacturers that make small video monitors for field video work. The SmallHD focus is coming out to address this very issue for video people that want a brighter monitor than the LCD monitor on their camera.

Dji's specs say 1000 and 2000 nits.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 9.07.42 AM.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manashiroy