Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI announcement Oct 11 - new camera system?

If screen capture is from genuine video, it seems that X7 will be APS-C/Super35 sized sensor (probably similar to Sony A6500 or FS5) with Sony lightweight zoom lens... In the picture there is letter G on side of the lens, while it actually resembles to 3.5/30 from Sony... It will probably bring a bit more sensitivity / less noise, stop or two better DR, while any other benefits will be highly questionable...

If X7 gets any heavier then X5S, I would be worried about 3 point rubber vibration dumpers, as they already seem overstretched, even in this screen shot. Eventually that will be solved in future with some I2 v2 which will probably come with some X7S and stronger motors glued with stronger glue ;)

Reactions: AcesAreWld
If screen capture is from genuine video, it seems that X7 will be APS-C/Super35 sized sensor (probably similar to Sony A6500 or FS5) with Sony lightweight zoom lens... In the picture there is letter G on side of the lens, while it actually resembles to 3.5/30 from Sony... It will probably bring a bit more sensitivity / less noise, stop or two better DR, while any other benefits will be highly questionable...

If X7 gets any heavier then X5S, I would be worried about 3 point rubber vibration dumpers, as they already seem overstretched, even in this screen shot. Eventually that will be solved in future with some I2 v2 which will probably come with some X7S and stronger motors glued with stronger glue ;)

I agree it will be a super 35 for sure. Intriguing though, I was expecting only to be used on the m600 but its obviously for the I2. Pretty sure we`ll see a new OSMO type system finally, although knowing DJI it will only work with the x7, haha!. Another 5k later!

If it is larger sensor (APC-S ~24.3MP) as well as HD gimbal, lens, etc. then the battery life will also be affected unless they also come out with a new one. Maybe a longer-life battery and might be the length too to counterbalance the CG of the heavier camera setup. ???

I was guessing a Sony G lens zoom in the 18-105mm or 18-200mm zoom range too if APS-C size E-mount. If it has been made of plastic, and only for this setup, it still will be heavy, maybe 400--500 grams and likely not cheap if repackaged by DJI. Titanium housing would be overkill and pricey.

We better see a handle for X5S.,.coming soon for 11 months is BS. Needless to say, still waiting on the Ultra CrystalSky which DJI said would ship in mid May if I recall

Reactions: DrMrdalj
Here is what I know from “reliable sources”. They are bringing out a new X7 Camera System for I2. It will be full frame. The lens in the picture is not a zoom, it’s a moderate tele, like a 75 or 85mm. They are coming out with a set of carbon fiber lenses to go with the new Camera for weight savings on the big sensor. This is leveraging the partnership with Hasselblad. One source says they will be offering both a full-frame version and a S35 version. One source says the full frame sensor will be 42megapixels.
This could all be wrong. ;-)

Reactions: oblivie
Here is what I know from “reliable sources”. They are bringing out a new X7 Camera System for I2. It will be full frame. The lens in the picture is not a zoom, it’s a moderate tele, like a 75 or 85mm. They are coming out with a set of carbon fiber lenses to go with the new Camera for weight savings on the big sensor. This is leveraging the partnership with Hasselblad. One source says they will be offering both a full-frame version and a S35 version. One source says the full frame sensor will be 42megapixels.
This could all be wrong. ;-)
Please note that Hasselblad, as well as PhaseOne, uses Sony Semiconductor CMOS sensors in all of their cameras. Next, note that Hasselblad does not produce any "full-frame" camera, but it deals with medium format...Finally, it may be that Hasselblad could provide color science for photo, but up to this moment thay do no have expertise in video... So, look at the Sony CMOS sensor lineup and E-mount lens lineup for more clues...

Hasselblad was never known for good video either and primarily for stills. They and DJI already have some $33,000 Hassy and drone combo available. Details here: DJI and Hasselblad Unveil World's First 100MP 'Drone Photography Platform'
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/25/dj...orlds-first-100mp-drone-photography-platform/
I'm still thinking the APS-C size camera will be the announcement for the Inspire 2, and maybe a new lens array. A 100MP FF sensor would take a lot of cooling too for video, hence a larger camera and heavier as shown on the link needing a larger bird than the Inspire 2.

Reactions: mpaerial
Super 35mm size Chip for sure.
Lens is weird...
Wonder what mount it will be in.... No MFT Lens will cover S35 that i know of...

Wondering if they'll also officially release the new heavy lift that can carry the Ronin-2... maybe called an M1000?

Here's some info on DJI camera's sensor scores: DxOMark benchmarks for popular drone camera sensors - DxOMark

I'll guess this X7 APS-C or Super 35mm sensor (??) may score better than the 74 of the X5S per their test and review quote: "Comparing it (X5S) to a current model standalone micro-4/3 camera (with the same size sensor) shows that there is still room for improvement: which is below that of most micro four thirds cameras too." Given that info, probably the DJI X7 will rate below that of an APS-C/Super 35mm camera too. DJI needs to fix video issues like their odd lack of tint control (magenta tint on manual WB), ability to use manual lenses, poor quality control, etc. that other cameras do better at.

If it's a Sony sensor, seems they would use a Sony E-mount too.

I'll guess a beefed up gimbal, APS-C camera, and zoom lens at $3,999. Some E-mount lenses are quite heavy so they may use a proprietary lightweight zoom lens. Not sure on reduction of flight time to maybe 15 minutes without an upgraded battery.

Reactions: Advexure
would there be much point in a aps-c or super35 as there would surely not be enough in it from m4/3 - full frame would be very nice for high resolution images for me but after investing $2000+ on lenses it would be a shame to lose them!

would there be much point in a aps-c or super35 as there would surely not be enough in it from m4/3 - full frame would be very nice for high resolution images for me but after investing $2000+ on lenses it would be a shame to lose them!

I don't think it will be a huge increase, maybe from 20MP on the X5S to 24MP for the X7 which is most common for the APS-C sensor by Sony. Advantage will be the wider format instead of the crop-down of the X5S to 16:9 which makes the X5S a 15.8MP camera with the wide-screen video crop. So reality is the best video size may go from X5S=15.8MP for a 16:9 to the X7=24MP so a gain of 9MP which is a lot. Dynamic range will probably gain a stop too.

Imho, DJI seems to be chasing RED cinema cameras, but they have a long ways to go even with the half ownership of Hassleblad who never has been good at video. The RED Epic S35 sensor goes up to 8K and is about 5mm wider than the APS-C sensor, and the RED and comes in at 36MP for shooting 8K (and needs full-frame lens mounts too.). RED's height is about the same as APS-C or Super 35mm too, just it's ~5mm wider, but the cost is around $50K once you get the mount, lens, and body. I'll be surprised if DJI will match or exceed the RED's numbers or size, especially since it is the highest rated sensor out there now (DxO puts it at 108 I think, and the new Nikon D850 scored 100 and top DSLR for now.).

Trick will be the gimbal due to the weight and if it will provide a vibration free platform. My X5S is a bit buzzy on the lower gimbal plate and the Olympus 45mm has video issues possibly due to the buzziness (Needs maybe a lightweight 35-40mm lens, if one were available in M43 land?). More gimbal juice means less air time too. The lens, if it's a zoom, might not be as sharp as primes too unless the option is to change it and I suspect it will be able to take other lenses, but the lens selection might be much less.

Oh well, in 24 hours we'll see....

Reactions: Advexure
Someone posted this on fb.

22384066_10159509813290594_6583404762448132355_o.jpg

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP