Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fly Aways DJI Response

There is another flyaway and complete loss video on youtube.

Bit concerning as I am thinking of getting one to replace my P2V+
This is one case out of approximately 10,000 inspire 1's ..
something seems to go wrong,but I'm pretty sure this is an isolated issue. .if not you'd see a bunch of videos like this..

....It's really that simple. It boils down this, if your not into tinkering with stuff or willing to work through some teething issues, then this is not the hobby or profession for you.

.. Pick up a set of golf clubs and be happy!

Well put. I have been saying the same thing for a while. Also add in the fact that we all got into this knowing it was a new product that like many probably would have issues on release.

Exactly.. My take on the video is the user was going by a lot of different radio sites. If you look at the video you will see those are waste water treatment ponds. These ponds communicate with each and a central office usually via radio. With setting the LB to a single channel you don't get the ability to let the system hop channels. Once coms were broken and with the higher power output of the SCADA Telemetry, The inspires link was doomed.

The main question is, why did it do a 180 after it started returning to home? This could be prim of example a perfect storm:(

This is just my thoughts on the video. This is just speculation at this point since there is very little data.

If you don't use a screen recoding device and tracker on your drone and something goes wrong it will be much harder to prove what took place..
who really knows what happened here..it's just a video...

Well put. I have been saying the same thing for a while. Also add in the fact that we all got into this knowing it was a new product that like many probably would have issues on release.

But that being said DJI have been making drones for a while and should not release a product that is more stable (?)
I have a phantom and look at the problems caused by hardware updates just before christmas, caused all sorts of problems etc.
A 1kg missel is one thing but a 3kg is a bit worrying when these sort of problems come about.

I was going to push the buy button but I am going to hang fire and watch for a while.

Perhaps too much haste to get product out to market but for sake of another month or two to get it right.

I agree that it is not for everyone Robin and I think you are doing the right thing. I think if more people understood that new things like these will have issues, more people would wait. Let the people who like to be out front absorb the issues. Look at every iPhone. The company has more money than most small countries yet they need to put out updates the same day and all year after their stuff gets put out. DJI is small in comparison and their products fall out of the sky when they malfunction. This is a risky hobby in general.

But that being said DJI have been making drones for a while and should not release a product that is more stable (?)
I have a phantom and look at the problems caused by hardware updates just before christmas, caused all sorts of problems etc.
A 1kg missel is one thing but a 3kg is a bit worrying when these sort of problems come about.

I was going to push the buy button but I am going to hang fire and watch for a while.

Perhaps too much haste to get product out to market but for sake of another month or two to get it right.

Please understand this technology isn't going to be fool proof for some time. Even military Drones fail, those are million dollar redundant systems . This is still not an excuse for bugs in the system though. Trust me, DJI wants their craft to be as problem free as possible. But to expect a perfect system in this day and age , is just not reality. We are still pioneering these systems!

Reactions: Kilrah
Thanks Mazz. Going back quite a few years I had Nitro powered RC helicopters, I did not get on too well but that was my fault and lack of skill.
The hardware was fine and had very few problems. Errors were down to me.

The switch and go offerings are great but I don't want to be a beta tester which looks like what is going on here with the Inspire.
Not only from the $$ outlay but also the potential damage can be caused to other things.
A falling iPhone will cost $ but cannot do much damage to other things around it.

Please understand this technology isn't going to be fool proof for some time. Even military Drones fail, those are million dollar redundant systems . This is still not an excuse for bugs in the system though. Trust me, DJI wants their craft to be as problem free as possible. But to expect a perfect system in this day and age , is just not reality. We are still pioneering these systems!

Yes I know technology is not perfect. I am sure DJI want to get it right and so do I, they are great things these drones.
I have already spent $3k on DJI products and happy to spend more when it is right.
However my point is it does seem all a bit rushed with the inspire and some other hardware releases and another couple of months rigorous testing by experienced pilots would have solved most of the issues so the public see a much more polished product.

Thanks Mazz. Going back quite a few years I had Nitro powered RC helicopters, I did not get on too well but that was my fault and lack of skill.
The hardware was fine and had very few problems. Errors were down to me.

The switch and go offerings are great but I don't want to be a beta tester which looks like what is going on here with the Inspire.
Not only from the $$ outlay but also the potential damage can be caused to other things.
A falling iPhone will cost $ but cannot do much damage to other things around it.

Oh a fellow single rotor pilot:)

How long did you fly? Unless you flew with FBL controllers your really not comparing apples to apples. Even then only the SK720 comes close to what these controllers are doing every ms (this was interduced in 2009). Single rotors didn't have all the sensor data that these systems do. The only code running was in the tail gyro. That logic has been around since the 80's. My point being all the system that you used had MANY years of testing and development.

Remember when the first spectrum radio came out? How many craft went into the dirt do to brownouts? Cutting edge Technology has teething issues, if you choose to be cutting edge there are some chances you do take. With that being sad, if your smart about it.. It can be a very safe adventure!

Yes I know technology is not perfect. I am sure DJI want to get it right and so do I, they are great things these drones.
I have already spent $3k on DJI products and happy to spend more when it is right.
However my point is it does seem all a bit rushed with the inspire and some other hardware releases and another couple of months rigorous testing by experienced pilots would have solved most of the issues so the public see a much more polished product.

I can tell you with over 200+ beta craft testing since October, none of these issues raised their ugly head. I have been testing since Late November and didn't have these user reported issues. I just wish they would have let the team test the new compass protocol, this was rushed but kind of had to be, given the issue some people were seeing.

Now with the new beta firmware, the compass error detection is very much improved and I hope it works for other as well as it does for me.

Mazz I flew for a couple of years and the only stabilisation electronics was the giro. But was all a long time ago in the mid 1990's.
All the rotor head pitch and speed had to be done at the TX end.

I guess we all expect a lot more these days and not have to worry about things so much and expect them to work out of the box.

I can tell you with over 200+ beta craft testing since October, none of these issues raised their ugly head. I have been testing since Late November and didn't have these user reported issues. I just wish they would have let the team test the new compass protocol, this was rushed but kind of had to be, given the issue some people were seeing.

Now with the new beta firmware, the compass error detection is very much improved and I hope it works for other as well as it does for me.

Ok, I hope it all works out soon.

Well at least you admit two things that are true.. The Jerk and King troll:p

But for real, please show me where Ed or I have stated there were no issues. If we reacted to every so-called issue we wouldn't be help to anyone. We first have to verify and then try to replicate the issue. If we can not then the logs have to be sent to DJI for review, It's really that simple. It boils down this, if your not into tinkering with stuff or willing to work through some teething issues, then this is not the hobby or profession for you.

Just like computers or anything else that runs code, there is a chance of failure or lockups. If you can not accept this then I suggest you look else where. There are tons of sports that don't require things that run code.. Pick up a set of golf clubs and be happy!

When my computer has a glitch it doesn't fly out into society out of control with four spinning blades. Blade strike your so cool. I make a living with these things, and I dont think they are a toy like the majority of this forum. You want a transcript of our conversation. Call me Ed has my number. I would love to chat.

When my computer has a glitch it doesn't fly out into society out of control with four spinning blades. Blade strike your so cool. I make a living with these things, and I dont think they are a toy like the majority of this forum. You want a transcript of our conversation. Call me Ed has my number. I would love to chat.

By the way I know tons of people that added this to their tools for "Making a living". I have added it to my tools as well. I don't make a living off of it but a side income. It's a tool, the same as my s1000 and s900.

No thank you, I have better things to do than beat a dead horse. Plus you already burnt this bridge!

When my computer has a glitch it doesn't fly out into society out of control with four spinning blades. Blade strike your so cool. I make a living with these things
The only thing I can answer to that is that if you're concerned about it you simply shouldn't be making a living out of multicopters as of today, as currently with any of them going out of control with spinning blades is a thing that can and sometimes will happen.

Making a living out of it is not an excuse, it may even be the opposite as you're precisely deciding to use something you know is not reliable enough to your liking in a demanding application.

Your choice, live with it, make your decisions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game