Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fly time jitters

Reaction score
Hi all…
I know this is a silly question… I need some advice on losing the fly time jitters. I’m happy to fly around close. I want to fly further and higher, but I also want to make sure my drone comes back. Cheers all.

Hi all…
I know this is a silly question… I need some advice on losing the fly time jitters. I’m happy to fly around close. I want to fly further and higher, but I also want to make sure my drone comes back. Cheers all.
With practice comes confidence (both in your own ability and that of the machine you are flying).
Don't forget the limit in the UK is 500m distance and the Inspire (1 or 2) is still visible at that distance.

Thank you... just need to try and push it beyond 100 with confidence that it will come back.
Try not to rely on the Return to Home feature to bring the aircraft back to you.
Always fly manually and use the RTH for what it is intended for - emergences.
Once you get confident at 100m out then push a little further with each flight and give yourself enough altitude to recover should you get into trouble or have a brain fade with the sticks.

Reactions: DamesNY
When you reach the point where you don't have to stop and think what stick does what, you will be far more at ease.
Automatic reactions, I call it.

When I got my Inspire I was very cautious because I new the Inspire was more robust than the Q500 I learned on. I am a repetitious person and have to learn and become comfortable by frequent use. I would fly as often as possible and burn through 3 to 4 batteries each time I was out. ( Almost everyday for a few weeks) . It will come, be safe and patient !

Reactions: Jim Weist
Hi all…
I know this is a silly question… I need some advice on losing the fly time jitters. I’m happy to fly around close. I want to fly further and higher, but I also want to make sure my drone comes back. Cheers all.[/
Course lock flight mode is good for baby steps.

Never use Rth
Don’t push battery to limits

I use my Mavic Pro for long flights as the battery has a much longer flight time :) And I don’t have an x5 strapped to my Mavic

Reactions: Black Sky
Hi all…
Ok first off I hope none of my clients read this or no one I know for that matter. I have been flying for 4 years (107 commercially for almost 2) I feel I am a very safe pilot (perhaps overly cosious) and after all these years and about 150 hrs of fly time I still get the jitters. I don’t worry that I am going to mess up really. I think it is a compilation of the fact that I can not afford to replace my Inspire 2 if something went inexplicably wrong or worse yet hurt someone. Like everyone here has said. Baby steps. Fly 100 up and out, next time 120, etc. I found that with every milestone it was easier to do it again with confidence.

I’ve got a lot of drones including 4 big ones. I still get a “bad feeling” before I fly. My mind replays all the things that can go wrong. I always expect a large bird to appear out of nowhere and take out my I2. However, after several years I haven’t even had a hard landing.

Last week I picked up a Mavic Pro and I LOVE that thing. I’m going to use it to fly for fun, to practice Intelligent Flight Modes, and to learn everything I can about Autopilot which I use a lot. I think it will help me loosen up a little more and trust my skills.

Last edited:
I’ve got a lot of drones including 4 big ones. I still get a “bad feeling” before I fly. My mind replays all the things that can go wrong. I always expect a large bird to appear out of nowhere and take out my I2. However, after several years I haven’t even had a hard landing.

Last week I picked up a Mavic Pro and I LOVE that thing. I’m going to use it to fly for fun, to practice Intelligent Flight Modes, and to learn everything I can about Autopilot which I use a lot. I think it will help me loosen up a little more and trust my skills.
Ah, Perhaps a bigger club out there than I thought. Love your idea about the Mavic. I own one and don’t fly it nearly as much as I do my other drones. To your point using that little guy to really hone your skills especially intelegent flight mode which I do struggle with is a great idea. Thanks for your input!

This thread is very welcome, thank you. Having struggled with every possible DJI idiosyncrasy as much as I love flying my I1R I tremble before and during flight. Yes most is dreading the thought of one of the many demons re surfacing but the thought of possibly loosing a sizable investment or worse causing harm to someone, or even inadvertently breaking the law really is a source of anxiety, when it should really be a relaxing endeavor.

I however have found that once I take off if I for the most part immerse myself in flight the experience is nothing short of Zen. I have also acquired some Yuneec goggles which yes I keep taking off to keep line of sight, but suddenly the butterflies are much calmer, though still active. Now I'm actually starting to be able to fly and chew gum at the same time ...., er, I mean run the camera and think photographically.

Throughout my life whenever I've been passionate about something, the butterflies have accompanied me, they keep me alert and probably from doing something stupid. SO embrace the butterflies and take them on the flight with you, Enjoy every second of flight.

This thread is very welcome, thank you. Having struggled with every possible DJI idiosyncrasy as much as I love flying my I1R I tremble before and during flight. Yes most is dreading the thought of one of the many demons re surfacing but the thought of possibly loosing a sizable investment or worse causing harm to someone, or even inadvertently breaking the law really is a source of anxiety, when it should really be a relaxing endeavor.

I however have found that once I take off if I for the most part immerse myself in flight the experience is nothing short of Zen. I have also acquired some Yuneec goggles which yes I keep taking off to keep line of sight, but suddenly the butterflies are much calmer, though still active. Now I'm actually starting to be able to fly and chew gum at the same time ...., er, I mean run the camera and think photographically.

Throughout my life whenever I've been passionate about something, the butterflies have accompanied me, they keep me alert and probably from doing something stupid. SO embrace the butterflies and take them on the flight with you, Enjoy every second of flight.
Very well said Mixchief. Yes once I get into it or go for my second set of batteries I am far more relaxed and yes sometimes Zen. Also, I do agree with you that the butterflies are a sign that you are thinking and taking your flight and responsibilities seriously. I hope this forum grows as I think the topic is important.

Reactions: Mixchief

Not a bad video, actually... but what is “yawl”? :)

Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu