Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Follow not working and Course Lock missing (DJI Go)

Reaction score
Just got my Inspire and trying to learn both the aircraft, remote, and app. Watched a number of videos on the app, and all state that "follow" means the camera stays focused on a particular spot no matter the gyrations of the aircraft.

To test this, I tapped and held a spot on the screen, drug it to a spot and let go. Camera is pointed/focused on this spot. DJI Go is set to "Follow".

However, when I relocate the UAS in any direction, the camera stays at a fixed position, rather than staying locked on the assigned spot. I can't find anything on the app that indicates why Follow isn't set, nor do I see any errors or warnings.

And, isn't there supposed to be an icon on the left edge of the app to select the flight mode? Can't remember all of them, but one was Course Lock. I can't find Course Lock anywhere, although I did see it once before my first flight. :(

I have updated to the latest firmware on both (v1.8 on UAS, v1.6 (I think) on remote - it was automatically updated on June 3, 2016). DJI Go was just downloaded on June 1, 2016.

What should I look for to fix, or more likely find out what I'm doing wrong, this?

Just got my Inspire and trying to learn both the aircraft, remote, and app. Watched a number of videos on the app, and all state that "follow" means the camera stays focused on a particular spot no matter the gyrations of the aircraft.

To test this, I tapped and held a spot on the screen, drug it to a spot and let go. Camera is pointed/focused on this spot. DJI Go is set to "Follow".

However, when I relocate the UAS in any direction, the camera stays at a fixed position, rather than staying locked on the assigned spot. I can't find anything on the app that indicates why Follow isn't set, nor do I see any errors or warnings.

And, isn't there supposed to be an icon on the left edge of the app to select the flight mode? Can't remember all of them, but one was Course Lock. I can't find Course Lock anywhere, although I did see it once before my first flight. :(

I have updated to the latest firmware on both (v1.8 on UAS, v1.6 (I think) on remote - it was automatically updated on June 3, 2016). DJI Go was just downloaded on June 1, 2016.

What should I look for to fix, or more likely find out what I'm doing wrong, this?

You need the 'Free' mode for the camera to stay in a fixed position, 'Follow' mode follows the aircraft direction (but with some lag).

For 'Course Lock', 'Home Lock' and 'Point of Interest' you need to enable 'multiple flight modes' under you need is under 'Main Controller settings' then set your flight mode switch to 'F'. Another icon will appear on the left hand side of your screen. There are lots of tutorials on this both here and on the DJI forum so I suggest you seek them out and then use the flight simulator to familiarise yourself with all the settings and controls.

Reactions: Bryan Conover

Well videos are a good source (sometimes) but 1st you should RTFM ;) and 2nd learn how to fly! A good lession is to fly for a few batteries a figure 8 pattern or a bunch of circles (nose heading to the center) etc... after that it is time to play around with the other stuff :)

Chris

Reactions: The Editor
I agree - and I did RTFM. What I couldn't do was figure out why I couldn't get the app to look like the manual. I fact, I red the PDF manual 3 or 4 times before the I1 actually arrived! I've also flown through a couple of charges, admittedly using that to test the video quality (poor). Amazingly easy to fly considering the auto-hover when you let go. I just can't find anything (obvious to me) that explains why the Follow isn't doing what the FM says it should :( I know it's me - just not what.

You need the 'Free' mode for the camera to stay in a fixed position, 'Follow' mode follows the aircraft direction (but with some lag).

For 'Course Lock', 'Home Lock' and 'Point of Interest' you need to enable 'multiple flight modes' under you need is under 'Main Controller settings' then set your flight mode switch to 'F'. Another icon will appear on the left hand side of your screen. There are lots of tutorials on this both here and on the DJI forum so I suggest you seek them out and then use the flight simulator to familiarise yourself with all the settings and controls.

You're saying the camera Follow won't work in "P"? I don't remember seeing that in any video or manual. Hmm

Multiple flight mode makes sense - didn't catch that on reviewing the videos/manuals looking for a solution, although I must have seen it at least once since I saw the menu once before.

Is there a better place to post beginner questions? Seems I'm pissing everyone off by asking simple things.

I agree - and I did RTFM. What I couldn't do was figure out why I couldn't get the app to look like the manual. I fact, I red the PDF manual 3 or 4 times before the I1 actually arrived! I've also flown through a couple of charges, admittedly using that to test the video quality (poor). Amazingly easy to fly considering the auto-hover when you let go. I just can't find anything (obvious to me) that explains why the Follow isn't doing what the FM says it should :( I know it's me - just not what.
If you are trying to get follow me to work on the Inspire via the app - forget it. It is total rubbish and is plagued by a design fault with the GPS antenna in the RC being poorly positioned so unable to maintain a reliable fix

Reactions: DoubleHorn
If you are trying to get follow me to work on the Inspire via the app - forget it. It is total rubbish and is plagued by a design fault with the GPS antenna in the RC being poorly positioned so unable to maintain a reliable fix
Well that sucks. By "app" do you mean DJI Go or Litchi? Would that apply to all apps linking to the Inspire, or just in this one? Many of the video's I've watched trying to figure this out were using Follow, which appeared to work well regardless of the app used. It would explain the need for the second controller (cameraman), though.

Autopilot's Follow function is fantastic (iOS only), not only can you do a "follow me" with the controller, you can set up another mobile device as the "target" to follow using a function in the App called "Airspace."

There are no issues like in DJI Go app's "Follow Me" because they bypass DJI's flight controller and use a proprietary controller that runs on the iPad/iPhone.

Highly recommended app if you use iOS, and they're always making improvements!

Autopilot's Follow function is fantastic (iOS only), not only can you do a "follow me" with the controller, you can set up another mobile device as the "target" to follow using a function in the App called "Airspace."

There are no issues like in DJI Go app's "Follow Me" because they bypass DJI's flight controller and use a proprietary controller that runs on the iPad/iPhone.

Highly recommended app if you use iOS, and they're always making improvements!

I agree. I made a long distance "follow me" a few weeks ago in france, it took 6 batteries to complete the track, wind was ~40km/h and the inspire followed my car with ~30km/h. Worked like charm and i was amazed how precise the whole thing worked even if i changed the parameters during the flight (height, distance, direction etc). I love autopilot, it's complex but worth every cent.

Chris

Autopilots follow mode works quite good. Even with just an ipad 2 mini.
Example clip below is from the first try of the Beta version of Autopilot's follow me, the day after it was released. Looking back I must have been totally bezerk to try it out over water, following the boat. But there was no way of trying safely on land, considering the distances we have to maintain from roads structures people houses etc.

So, what you're all saying is that the "Follow" function doesn't work unless you're using AutoPilot app? Not saying that this couldn't be true, but how do all of the people who demonstrate that feature on YouTube get it to work?

Don't want to get AutoPilot yet as I've already paid for Litchi (IOS). And, if Litchi can't get the follow to work (despite demos of that as well), I'm leery of dropping more $$$ on an app in the hopes that it will. That wouldn't be so bad if they offered a trial, but ouch! Litchi was $30 and AutoPilot is at least that much (although the link above had 3 versions, each of which implied a separate purchase).

So, what you're all saying is that the "Follow" function doesn't work unless you're using AutoPilot app? Not saying that this couldn't be true, but how do all of the people who demonstrate that feature on YouTube get it to work?

Don't want to get AutoPilot yet as I've already paid for Litchi (IOS). And, if Litchi can't get the follow to work (despite demos of that as well), I'm leery of dropping more $$$ on an app in the hopes that it will. That wouldn't be so bad if they offered a trial, but ouch! Litchi was $30 and AutoPilot is at least that much (although the link above had 3 versions, each of which implied a separate purchase).
If you'd like to try it I would encourage you to email them and ask for beta access through TestFlight.

Nope - follow function is flawed in the Go App due to the placement of the GPS antenna in the RC.
In my opinion it is dangerous to use follow me function on a quad weighing in at 3kg in any case and should be reserved for the toy multirotors out there. It was DJI's original opinion as well which is why it was not going to be implemented on the platform.
However, due to third party apps appearing they decided to jump on the bandwagon and enable it - except it doesn't work.
People having success with third party apps are doing so because they use tablets with GPS in them and the app utilises that.
DJI Go does not use the tablet GPS which is why it is useless.

Nope - follow function is flawed in the Go App due to the placement of the GPS antenna in the RC.
In my opinion it is dangerous to use follow me function on a quad weighing in at 3kg in any case and should be reserved for the toy multirotors out there. It was DJI's original opinion as well which is why it was not going to be implemented on the platform.
However, due to third party apps appearing they decided to jump on the bandwagon and enable it - except it doesn't work.
People having success with third party apps are doing so because they use tablets with GPS in them and the app utilises that.
DJI Go does not use the tablet GPS which is why it is useless.
If that was DJI's original opinion they shouldn't have advertised it as having such functions.

If that was DJI's original opinion they shouldn't have advertised it as having such functions.
Can't argue with that :p.
But they also said:
  • Groundstation was coming to the Inspire - It never has
  • Unlocking of NFZ's would never be available - it is now (well nearly)
DJI have a history of saying one thing but actually delivering (or not) something else.

Can't argue with that :p.
But they also said:
  • Groundstation was coming to the Inspire - It never has
  • Unlocking of NFZ's would never be available - it is now (well nearly)
DJI have a history of saying one thing but actually delivering (or not) something else.
You're totally right on this (oh wait, isn't "waypoint mode" their fulfillment of the ground station promise? /s). This is primarily what's making me look for other solutions to my needs in the next year or so.

That, and their customer service being on about the same level as the major US Air Carriers...

so FORGET follow me using go app then according to mostly unproven comments , is that for now or forever? facts please not opinions

Is anyone "PERSONALLY" using it successfully NOW if so HOW?

not just waffling on about it with misleading comments they are not FACTS

remember " Assumption is the mother of all F**** Up's" and helps no one

Autopilot works fine. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.
If you ask about GO I can only give you an opinion :p
Although I used it several times with success, I wouldn't advice to use the Inspire1 for following. It's kind of heavy. Like Editor mentioned, if you need a follow me function you'd better get a Phantom or even cheaper quad. I use Autopilot mainly for some of the other many automated flight and camera modes. Sorry, yet another opinion.

But follow me with inspire1 works in autopilot, even with the crappy GPS inside the RC and just a basic iPad mini2. Fact.

Last edited:
so FORGET follow me using go app then according to mostly unproven comments , is that for now or forever? facts please not opinions

Is anyone "PERSONALLY" using it successfully NOW if so HOW?

not just waffling on about it with misleading comments they are not FACTS

remember " Assumption is the mother of all F**** Up's" and helps no one
I'm sorry?.........

My comments above are fact.
The placement of the GPS antenna in the RC is flawed and causes sporadic GPS reception causing poor follow me reliability.
FACT!

I'm sorry?.........

My comments above are fact.
The placement of the GPS antenna in the RC is flawed and causes sporadic GPS reception causing poor follow me reliability.
FACT!
True, I confess my follow me tryouts were on big water, wide open space, and a perfectly clear sky. Ideal circumstances I realise. In a less open area and thick cloud cover, results will be different.
Again, I don't advocate to use follow me on a >1Kg bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkaur