Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My wife Inspired me

Reaction score
Good day members, Phantom pilot over from the sister Phantom Pilots forum. I have an awesome dilemma I was hoping to get some advice on. Basically after the wife of 40 years has been out flying with me and helping editing video, editing video is fairly new to us both, she said to me last night “doesn’t that Inspire use a pilot and a camera operator? “ oh yea, I liked where this conversation was going and apparently she is listening when I watch YouTube videos on the Inspires, and so..... I’m now looking to buy an Inspire. And to save you some time, I got the good sister already. Would like an Inspire 2 but I doubt I need the expensive software that you can add to it for editing but I’m not sure. We’re just doing video for us, family and friends and an occasional commercial job that requires 4K video, but the clients edit the video themselves and I have been able to easily accomplish those jobs with the Phantom 4 advanced camera. With that in mind what would be a good camera for us and of course I would need two remotes, should I get her the Cendence remote? Would that be better for the camera operator to use with a Crystalsky? A standard remote good enough for the Pilot? Excited about an Inspire but I don’t want to buy more than we really need in one. I’ll still fly the Phantoms but when the wife wants to head out to photograph and do some video I want her to have an excellent time with quality results. Besides living around aviation for 30 years she’s a **** good photographer. Appreciate any help as it’s so confusing with all the setups available. Maybe even an Inspire 1-V2 might work for us but still not sure as I like the redundancy in the Inspire 2 but would love to hear your advice. Anyway, thanks for looking in, certainly appreciate your time and happy to be a new member here at Inspire Pilots.

To me the inspire 2 is over killing for what your doing. And its getting pricey fast. Your at roughly $5k with the x4s camera then buying dual battery pairs at like $300 a pair. To me the inspire 1 will be more than enough for your needs. And can find used kits for around $2k and less. I've sold a couple good kits for $1,800 and under. Actually have a couple at the moment I'm thinking of selling soon can message for more info your interested

Reactions: Mixchief
How refreshing to hear that one's wife is involved and you aren't having to hide your gear and cost thereof from her!
I agree that the Inspire1 should fit you well. 2 remotes, a X5 camera and I would also suggest a Z3 camera. You can be all in at under what just the I2 costs without a camera.
I have had both and I ended up selling the Inspire 2 as it was just too much $ to risk. It's cost took the enjoyment out of it.
I am not careless by any means, but outside forces can bring these birds down, not always pilot error.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Thank you guys for your replies. It’s good to hear from folks who have actually flown the Inspires to get some real feedback before a major purchase. Yes AeroMirage she is an outstanding woman who has been involved with everything I have done and still do. From flying fixed wing aircraft to long ocean passages on our sailboat, to riding her own Harley, she’s been my best friend for 40 years. Im blessed. Now after reading your posts and some researching I think an Inspire 1 could fit the bill with an X5 camera and I’ll look into the Z3 as I’m not familiar with it. Although I do still keep thinking of the redundancy with the Inspire 2 as it fits my S.O.P. of risk management. Thank you all again I’ll keep researching for now. Also I appreciate the contact on the used Inspires for sale but I would only buy this equipment new.

I agree that used equipment is, well.......used. I only but new as well. But, the good news is that the Inspire 1 is selling at all time low prices. Check this link out: BuyDig.com - DJI Inspire 1 Quadcopter V2.0 with 4K Camera and Single Remote Controller
Brand new Inspire 1 V2.0 $1669.00
I have dealt with this outfit plenty and they are square shooters.
It will come in a factory sealed carton.
Gee, I paid $3000.00 for my first Inspire 1! But that was 2 years ago.
The reason I mentioned the Z3 is it is an awesome zoom camera. Have a look at this video:
This was shot from a stationary hover about 400 feet from the subject. It was also very windy, AC swaying around fighting the wind, but it didn't show in the video. I tried to find a useable zoom when I had the Inspire 2 but none came close.

Thank you, Appreciate all and any input. Not a very easy choice when going thru all the options and equipment available. As far as the Inspire 1 goes the prices are fantastic but the deal breaker is no FPV camera when in dual operator mode plus I appreciate all the redundancy built into the systems of the Inspire 2. I’ll keep researching for a few more days and I’ll get this all figured out in my little ole head and make my purchase. I’ll be sure to let you all know what that was and I’ll probably have some questions I’m sure. Thanks again and enjoy the day !

That’s intriguing. Thanks TruGreen, let me search those options and see what I can find. That could put the Inspire 1 V2 back on the list of possibilities once again. I like that.

That’s intriguing. Thanks TruGreen, let me search those options and see what I can find. That could put the Inspire 1 V2 back on the list of possibilities once again. I like that.

I'm actually looking at FPV kits right now to fly my I1 with my daughter...there are several out there!

If money is not a problem I would go for the I2, it has so much more to offer, it's stability & double the flight time for me less clock watching and concentrating more on what I want to achieve. The i1 is a great machine but it has this habit of Verticle and horizontal drift, I own both I1 and I2.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
I have an Inspire 1 with an X3 and X5 camera. The I1 and X5 with primes is a great still photography package. For video the X3 is a better choice mostly because it is so much easier on the battery. With TB-48 batteries I only get about 15 minutes flight time in still air with the X5. Yesterday in a steady 7 MPH wind with gusts I was only getting about 12 minutes before low battery and had a heck of a time maintaining position with a 45mm lens attached. Shooting with the X3 I see 20 minutes easily every time. And it is a lot easier to use because you don't need to mess with the camera as much as with the X5.

Don't get me wrong, the X5 is a fantastic camera once you learn how to use it, but there are a number of limitations. You're on the right track though. Two operators who can work well together should be able to overcome the limitations and there is a package DJI sells with the additional remote. There's a buddy box mode for the second remote so you can train her to fly too. I used the second remote in a demo for my ham radio club so they could fly it and I could take over easily if they got into a jam.

For now I'm strictly a hobby flier (but also passed the part 107), so I consider the Inspire 1 a trainer more than anything else. I figure once I get good at flying it I can upgrade to an Inspire 2 or more likely an M600 and get going with a business.

Reactions: Way2Fst4U
I have an Inspire 1 Pro, V2 with the X5...I’m a professional videographer and my only wish for the Inspire 1 is more battery life...otherwise from a viewers,stand point and the fact that the average viewer is still watching video on 1080 TVs it doesn’t justify the expense of the newer camera and the very expensive batteries....

Reactions: Way2Fst4U
I have an Inspire 1 Pro, V2 with the X5...I’m a professional videographer and my only wish for the Inspire 1 is more battery life...otherwise from a viewers,stand point and the fact that the average viewer is still watching video on 1080 TVs it doesn’t justify the expense of the newer camera and the very expensive batteries....
That's the only thing slowing my X5 purchase down...90% of my audience is still 1080p also.

Actually I should edit my post I meant the M200 not M600. But I'm looking at doing telecom tower inspections. Clients will want barcodes and nameplates readable, thermal images of connectors and hardware corrosion. And I'd rather not fly into their tower. I practice on a tower at work (if I break something I'll be the one going up to fix it) and the Inspire 1 really isn't up to the task if there's any bit of wind. My Mavic Pro is much more stable but the camera can't resolve to the level necessary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07