Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need help replacing strut

Reaction score
hey everyone. Need some guidance replacing one of my support struts. Any good videos angwhere on this? Can't seem to find one. Plenty on arm replacements. Thanks.

Hi Jason. As in the struts that control the motor arm angles? The thin ones that go between the frame and the boom?

I dont' have a video but they're pretty easy to change out - Just use two torx drivers at the same time on the bolts at each end, to undo otherwise the screw without a torx driver on it will just turn. The bolts and the struts themselves are a close tolerance fit, so may require a firm hand to gently get them apart

I'm hoping the drop link for the arm - the part rearward on the motor boom which the struct connects to hasn't been disturbed? This controls the angle of the arm and is clamped onto a toothed ring collar on the motor arm. If this is loosened, it'll require some careful measurement once everything's back together to achieve the correct arm angle. DJI use a jig, although it should be possible to get close enough with a digital inclinometer and the mk1 eyeball

My craft are in pieces at the moment so I can probably try and get some photos or maybe shoot some video later on today if you still need it

Yes. Those are the ones. Great info here. Thanks so much. These torx screws are accessible without taking off everything around them? I'm gearing up my confidence to do this. Love this forum!

No problem!
The motor arm is very easy to get to. The torx drivers required are 2mm ones:
IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

The other end are only easy to get to once the centre frame is out :( not a difficult job but quite a lengthy one.

I'd disconnect and label the lightbridge connections, the gps in the roof and the led in the tail

Then I'd remove the nose, body side struts and roof (which is a bit fiddly)
The from frame has 4 screws underneath.

Once everything is unplugged (I took photos of everything the first time I did it), the centre frame should be able to slide forwards off the two mounting pins by the battery compartment.

This will give you access to the single large torx bolt at the rear which both struts pivot on:
IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG
I'm just being called for dinner but will check back later in case you have any more questions :)

Reactions: mercivisual
I have most of it taken a part now for a new paint job. I think I just need to get the air frame (bottom section off to get to the second 2mm torx screw on the strut arm. Thank you so much for this. Huge help.

Attachments

• IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Ok. 2mm torx for the arm end. Got that off. That's really what's busted on my crash. I definitely need access to the large torx on the inner part of the body. Gonna try and remove the airframe and access this soon

Great work Jason. Once the forward frame (the spider-type one which the nose fixes to) is removed (4 small screws in the forward section of the floor pan), the front frame will then slide off the front of the central frame. Two pins locate into two large rubber bushes.

Then the central frame should slide off an identical two pins on the front of the battery compartment - these likewise locate into two rubber bushes in the central frame.

At last you'll have access to that pesky large torx that acts as the hinge point for those control struts.

It's worth checking the handing of the replacement part as you'll notice they interlock at the hinge part with one arm having a single mounting tab and having two.

It's a bit of a lengthy procedure but pretty satisfying!

Nice craft by the way. Sorry you've had to repair it but glad to see it seems to have escaped lightly :)

Great. This is just the info I was needing. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Glad I found this forum.

ok. With just a few more screws and prying a bit to loosen some adhesive I have reached the torx that holds the strut arms. Now just waiting for replacement to arrive. Will post pics of my finished repaired newly painted Inspire soon!

Reactions: mercivisual

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexsss22022