Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Problems with "red Colour Props"

My I2 arrived today and in the build phase I mounted the props to check how to use the fast mounts.

I found after fitting the "red" props that if i spun the blades around the red ones made a rattling sound. After ages of investigating where the noise was coming from i found that when the quick lock was closed on the prop there was till movement in the blade. (side to side)

Called DJI and no help there...

In the end i found that by inserting a small amount of tissue paper in the depression between the blade and the raised mounting point the noise went away. This was only 2 ply tissue so only a very small gap... I the found some single sided foam tape and inserted in the place the tissue paper was so i don't have to worry loosing the paper in flight.

Problem resolved

There was no problems with the white props !!

would advise you check yours as this causes serious miss balance and could damage your motors
Hi Dr jon, can you post an image to show us where exactly you put the tissues?
Thanks so much.

This is why being able to use 3rd party props is vital for safe flying guts. I don't olive the idea of trusting $6k to a mere plastic hub. I'm on a quest to figure out a new solution. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Dr Jon:
Just recieved my Inspire 2 and one of my red props has the rattle, but I do not believe it is the prop, I think it is the prop mount.

I agree. It is not the props. I have the slop as well on my left front red mount but not my back rear red mount. All 4 red props secure tightly on the right rear. None of them secure tightly on the left front. I am going to test on the provided spare red mount shortly.

More like $8000 ;)
I'll tell you what, I find myself in a real quandary after dealing with (not the right term) DJI on a $3500 P2 Kit and then one of the first Ronin's which I finally sold, brand new for 2 grand less than I bought it for because I could never get it to balance or behave in anyway that was acceptable. "Customer Service" was a guy who knew less than I did and the advice was do an update and balance the unit.

Now I find several clients asking me to be drone capable for perspectives that I can't get in my normal helicopter work. DJI seems to be the only game in town and against all common sense I am considering sending them 9 grand and crossing all of my fingers and toes that I won't need support. Heck of a way to do business.

Reactions: ChrisG333
I just noticed my forward red prop had the issue mentioned. I have flown my bird for a little over an hour and the rattling did not cause any noticeable vibration or unusual noise in flight. However on the ground I noticed the slight play (very slight) and when I turned the prop by hand it made the rattling sound... so I put a small piece of foam into the propeller, underneath where the top nub is and it seems to have fixed it. Hopefully DJI can provide a more permanent fix since as others mentioned, this should not be occurring on such an expensive piece of equipment.

I just noticed my forward red prop had the issue mentioned. I have flown my bird for a little over an hour and the rattling did not cause any noticeable vibration or unusual noise in flight. However on the ground I noticed the slight play (very slight) and when I turned the prop by hand it made the rattling sound... so I put a small piece of foam into the propeller, underneath where the top nub is and it seems to have fixed it. Hopefully DJI can provide a more permanent fix since as others mentioned, this should not be occurring on such an expensive piece of equipment.

I can confirm this as well. The red props have a noticeable play when grabbing the blade tips and moving it up and down while the white ones are solid.

I received my Inspire 2 a few days back but have not been able to fly due to snowstorms, but when the props are idling on the ground it shows no signs of vibration. Looks pretty stable and smooth while hovering as well. But immediately as you land , the drone shakes around for about 1.5 second then the motors winds back down to idle which smooth things out again, I am just going to assume that is normal....I hope.

But immediately as you land , the drone shakes around for about 1.5 second then the motors winds back down to idle which smooth things out again, I am just going to assume that is normal....I hope.

I'd say that was not normal, or at least mine does not do that .

By using the spare red mount and swapping props around I've found a combination that does not exhibit the 'rattle' when you spin the props by hand.

Personal choice I know, but I would not fly if I had not been able to eliminate the rattle.

I know DJI are working on the issue and hopefully we'll hear something soon.

If anyone has not already reported the issue to DJI I'd encourage you to do so.

I'd say that was not normal, or at least mine does not do that .

By using the spare red mount and swapping props around I've found a combination that does not exhibit the 'rattle' when you spin the props by hand.

Personal choice I know, but I would not fly if I had not been able to eliminate the rattle.

I know DJI are working on the issue and hopefully we'll hear something soon.

If anyone has not already reported the issue to DJI I'd encourage you to do so.

I just hand spun the starboard side rear and i can hear the rattle. port forward seems fine. I'll swap out the mount and report back on the post landing vibration and rattle.

I placed foam under all but one prop now. The other 2 were also exhibiting a slight rattle when I spun them quickly by hand, but not quite as bad as the first one I "fixed." I still notice that the motors do vibrate or wobble a little on shutdown. Everything looks very smooth and perfect until right after I land as the motors slow to a stop...

I placed foam under all but one prop now. The other 2 were also exhibiting a slight rattle when I spun them quickly by hand, but not quite as bad as the first one I "fixed." I still notice that the motors do vibrate or wobble a little on shutdown. Everything looks very smooth and perfect until right after I land as the motors slow to a stop...

Update.

I just swapped the entire red prop quick release/mount and the rattling is still there. So i decided to try the 3 red props on it. Only 1 of the 4 red prop did not produce a rattle when hand spun, leads me to believe that it either doesnt fit properly, or it is not balanced properly.

Fired up the drone for a hover test and land. Very small, barely observable vibration still observed on the rear starboard side, I think i only saw it because I am now super paranoid and is most likely nothing.

I will report this issue to DJI first thing tomorrow morning.

DJI support have contacted me they will replace the props but have to wait until the "manufacturer" send a new stock. That could be 7 weeks from now because of CNY.

They don't admit there is any tolerance issues which I'm sure would cause them major embracement and requests for new sets of props FOC from all current owners.

I strongly advise if you have any noise from the props that you register a request for replacement, this will bring the size of the problem to their attention

Reactions: Raphael Dahan
Thank you.. that is good to know..

by the way.. I didn't catch this in an earlier post but are we sure that the tolerance issue is in the prop and not the quick release?

You may have a good point as both prop and quick release are both involved in tolerance that is closed when the quick release is rotated. I made my conclusion that even if i changed the quick release for the spare provided it made no difference to which prop made the noise.
My simple fix was simply raising the hight of the blade and the quick release then was under more pressure hence a tighter fit and no noise even if the prop was out of tolerance.

I think this is for DJI to decide and will contact them get their decision

thanks for the input

You may have a good point as both prop and quick release are both involved in tolerance that is closed when the quick release is rotated. I made my conclusion that even if i changed the quick release for the spare provided it made no difference to which prop made the noise.
My simple fix was simply raising the hight of the blade and the quick release then was under more pressure hence a tighter fit and no noise even if the prop was out of tolerance.

I think this is for DJI to decide and will contact them get their decision

thanks for the input

just had an email that this was an issue on the I1 and the screws caused the issue being too tight or uneven tightness, i tried on mine with no change. maybe you could try with yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu