Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sun shade for iPad

As you can clearly see in the video of the product above, 90 degree shades do not block glare and reflection on the display. Only the PadHat blocks glare and reflection for UAV pilots. That is why 100s of pilots, pro and amateur, use HoodiVision shades.

Posted earlier on this thread:

We received this unsolicited from Jim Bonnardel, owner of DIY Drones.com and the president of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego:

"I wanted to comment on the perfect angle of the PadHat.

There are a few guys showing up at the field with other brand shades, as well as home made ones.

Everyone complains about the glare and reflection. With the other shades, at a 90 degree angle, the screens are a perfect mirror showing the pilot their own reflection.

Hoodivision shades have that perfect angle that completely eliminates that. As soon as I show them my shades, they realize that the PadHat is the best out there."

We thank Jim for his impartial and factual observation.

A 90 degree straight shade would need to be 20-24" high to block glare and reflection like a PadHat shade.

I have to disagree about the Hoodivision. First, it's angle forces you to tilt your tablet down to within about 15-20 degrees of parallel with the back of the transmitter so that the tablet is touching the antenna. Second the Hoodivision attachment method is either Velcro patches that you glue onto your tablet, or some kind of sticky rubber that doesn't really work.

The Hoodivision isn't a bad product in general, but it isn't satisfactory for the geometry of the Inspire transmitter.

Hi. Thanks for your comment.

The necessary angle to block glare and reflection is not determined by us. It is determined by the physics of light and glare reflection. That is why the other hoods do not block glare and reflection. In fact they are mostly useless.

We did not design the Inspire transmitter and its fixed angle mount.

The antenna reach and signal is not affected.

The optional velcro tabs do not "glue" on. The pre-attached adhesive is non-destructive and the tabs are easily removed.

The "sticky rubber" referred to is actually NanoStik, a nano suction material with 1000s of nano suction cups. For non-pilot users such as going to the beach, public privacy, reading in bed, etc. it is the perfect solution. The nano suction material is easily cleaned with scotch tape to restore "stickiness".

We are designing a pro model designed specifically for UAV pilots but it takes months to design, test and manufacture for release to the public.

The PadHat shade is currently the best selling solution on the market for UAV pilots with 100s sold, less than a 2% return rate and we constantly receive unsolicited thanks from very pleased pilots, pro and amateur.

I understand, and as I mentioned, it isn't a bad product - it just isn't well suited to the Inspire transmitter.

You are certainly right about the tabs being easy to remove, they fell off just fine.

Thank you for stating "it isn't a bad product."

The fact still remains that we have the only solution for UAV pilots that actually blocks glare and reflection.

If properly applied the first time as shown here in our in our instructions, the velcro hook tabs stay firmly attached.

Perhaps you have an earlier model and and inadvertently applied the loop pieces to the surface.

We were discovered en masse by UAV pilots in February and have listened to and worked closely with pilots. After extensive testing and discussion with pilots we devised a wing tab connection specifically to address pilots' needs.

If you have an earlier model that does not have wing tabs with a loop velcro top, contact [email protected] and she will send you a loop velcro top conversion packet with new hook velcro pieces included.

Last edited:
mine are working fine and cost 0.00

Attachments

• hood2.jpg
    hood2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 28
  • hood 3.jpg
    hood 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 27
OK, so I ordered a HoodiVision PadHat mini. Websites said it would take 25 days to be delivered from the US to the UK.

Well, it arrived within 7 days! No customs charges either! The first win!

Now lets move onto the PadHat itself. Firstly, its light, very light in fact. Its also very easy to put onto the iPad Mini, takes about 30 seconds, if that.

I did try using the nanostik tabs, but in all honesty I dont think they are ideally suited to this application. They are fairly easily disturbed and do come away easily in my opinion.

Not ideal, but also not much of a problem as the PadHat comes supplied with self adhesive velcro type pads that adhere to the back of the iPad. I was a bit sceptical of putting the pads onto my iPad, one because I didn't really want to put them on the iPad, but when I use the iPad for different tasks other than flying the Inspire, its in its Smart case, so kind of negates worrying about putting them on there for me as they are always covered when in the case.

That also leads me onto another worry I had, would the velcro type pads be too thick to prevent the iPad from seating in its case properly? The answer is no, the iPad sits in its case absolutely fine with the pads in place.

So for me personally, the nanostik tabs are not ideal, but the addition of the velcro pads are a winner and hold the PadHat securely to the iPad, there is no way a gust of wind will cause you any issues.

I did not notice any issues with the magnet in the PadHat causing any interference, bird flew perfectly normal and no video drop outs or any such things.

Now for the actual sun blocking capabilities of the PadHat. Yes, it does block the suns glare and it does a very good job of it. Not only that, but I can no longer see the reflection of my ugly mug staring back at me putting me off my shot!

The angle of the PadHat for me is ideal, yes, you do have to have the iPad pushed all the way back if you want a clear view of the iPad screen. I can understand why that might be an issues for some people, but for me its ideal. Also, touching the screen to navigate menu's are unhindered by the sunshade.

I have some pictures below, these were taken in bright mid day sunlight, you can clearly see how the PadHat blocks the sun completely from the iPads screen.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this sunshade, its very well made and does what its supposed to do.

Again, I can see how the angle of the shade could cause issues for some pilots, and I think if HoodiVision made a version with a little more thought aimed at pilots, they would tick all the boxes with a product meant for pilots. As do remember, this was not designed to be used solely buy Inspire pilots! But what would make it even better is some type of adjustment towards the end of the hood to allow pilots to get that perfect angle which suits them.

Some pictures below, also added a couple of pictures taken today, and yes, I was using the PadHat to block those sun rays!

XnFBqn1.jpg

EwNEzo4.jpg

8Ut5U38.jpg

LjYrWaY.jpg

4GLQ8qj.jpg

Wx13YZY.jpg

OK, so I ordered a HoodiVision PadHat mini. Websites said it would take 25 days to be delivered from the US to the UK.

Well, it arrived within 7 days! No customs charges either! The first win!

Now lets move onto the PadHat itself. Firstly, its light, very light in fact. Its also very easy to put onto the iPad Mini, takes about 30 seconds, if that.

I did try using the nanostik tabs, but in all honesty I dont think they are ideally suited to this application. They are fairly easily disturbed and do come away easily in my opinion.

Not ideal, but also not much of a problem as the PadHat comes supplied with self adhesive velcro type pads that adhere to the back of the iPad. I was a bit sceptical of putting the pads onto my iPad, one because I didn't really want to put them on the iPad, but when I use the iPad for different tasks other than flying the Inspire, its in its Smart case, so kind of negates worrying about putting them on there for me as they are always covered when in the case.

That also leads me onto another worry I had, would the velcro type pads be too thick to prevent the iPad from seating in its case properly? The answer is no, the iPad sits in its case absolutely fine with the pads in place.

So for me personally, the nanostik tabs are not ideal, but the addition of the velcro pads are a winner and hold the PadHat securely to the iPad, there is no way a gust of wind will cause you any issues.

I did not notice any issues with the magnet in the PadHat causing any interference, bird flew perfectly normal and no video drop outs or any such things.

Now for the actual sun blocking capabilities of the PadHat. Yes, it does block the suns glare and it does a very good job of it. Not only that, but I can no longer see the reflection of my ugly mug staring back at me putting me off my shot!

The angle of the PadHat for me is ideal, yes, you do have to have the iPad pushed all the way back if you want a clear view of the iPad screen. I can understand why that might be an issues for some people, but for me its ideal. Also, touching the screen to navigate menu's are unhindered by the sunshade.

I have some pictures below, these were taken in bright mid day sunlight, you can clearly see how the PadHat blocks the sun completely from the iPads screen.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this sunshade, its very well made and does what its supposed to do.

Again, I can see how the angle of the shade could cause issues for some pilots, and I think if HoodiVision made a version with a little more thought aimed at pilots, they would tick all the boxes with a product meant for pilots. As do remember, this was not designed to be used solely buy Inspire pilots! But what would make it even better is some type of adjustment towards the end of the hood to allow pilots to get that perfect angle which suits them.

Some pictures below, also added a couple of pictures taken today, and yes, I was using the PadHat to block those sun rays!

XnFBqn1.jpg

EwNEzo4.jpg

8Ut5U38.jpg

LjYrWaY.jpg

4GLQ8qj.jpg

Wx13YZY.jpg
Hello. Thanks for the thorough and honest review.

The velcro top wing tab came after conversing with and seeing how pilots use the shade. We are every interested in pilot experience and finding solutions for their needs. We are working on solutions for the fixed angle Inspire 1 issue. We are also prototyping a professional shade model with adjustable angle that has a hood length extension so that it actually works. It will have firm sides and higher/deeper back end for hand access to the display. It means added weight but we are experimenting with lightweight materials. That does come with higher production costs so we will need to test the waters to see if the final price point is compatible with the market. We hope to start testing with pilots by the end of summer and hopefully sooner.

FYI we just received a tweet with photo from the PadHat in action in Chernobyl Russia on a documentary shoot. Here it is on our Facebook page.

Thanks again and happy flying.
The HoodiVision Team

Reactions: TR1PL3D
Nice review. I notice your antenna positioning in your 4th photo. If you position your transmitter antenna so that they are are positioned as recommended on page 29 of the DJI User manual how does the PadHat fit?

All of your other comments are spot on. Good quality, poor fit: mountings that fall off. A side view would show clearly how the angles work regarding the antenna, and the viewing angle.

Nice review. I notice your antenna positioning in your 4th photo. If you position your transmitter antenna so that they are are positioned as recommended on page 29 of the DJI User manual how does the PadHat fit?

All of your other comments are spot on. Good quality, poor fit: mountings that fall off. A side view would show clearly how the angles work regarding the antenna, and the viewing angle.
We must take issue with you claiming the posted review says something about "poor fit" and "mountings that fall off". It neither states nor implies either. In fact he clearly states he is very pleased with the performance of the shade and the attachment "the velcro pads are a winner and hold the PadHat securely to the iPad, there is no way a gust of wind will cause you any issues".

If your position is the NanoStik wing tabs are "mountings that fall off" that completely ignores the fact that we addressed that issue for pilots with the loop velcro wing tab top that the reviewer explains and endorses in detail.

The shade is deliberately designed to sit mostly on the surface of the iPad for port access. It is by design tapered opening wider in the front so that the rear corners and edges of the iPad are exposed so that the iPad can easily be carried with one or both hands without having to grab the front edge of the tablet. This may not be an issue for pilots but for others it is a well thought out solution based on testing and feedback from "civilian" users who also rave about the convenience and grip of the NanoStik wing tabs.

We explained in a response to you on this thread about the new velcro top tabs that he endorsed in the review and we offered to send you a conversion packet free of charge but you did not take us up on it. While we understand what DJI recommends for antenna positioning, as we and many others have pointed out, including the reviewer you are responding to, there have been no reported problems with signal strength and reach. Perhaps you could explain your agenda to us so we can understand why in our honest opinion you seem intent on misrepresenting our product in a public forum.

Again we would like to offer you the loop velcro wing tab conversion packet to see if that solves your attachment issue as the reviewer clearly states the solution works. [email protected] We also encourage honest and constructive comments by pilots so we can research and incorporate valid solutions in future models.

Our shades are being used on professional shoots all over the world including Chernobyl Russia, Iceland, Peru, Oman, Hawaii, etc. We have been approached by one of the world's major aeronautics manufacturers to design a custom shade for their drone controller because as engineers and PadHat owners they know that our design is based on science and factual experience. They will include a shade with each controller they sell to their professional clientele. In fact if one of our current models had fit their new controller, they would be using and including a PadHat with their professional drone system.

I must say that I love mine and the velcro tabs make all the difference in the world. The viewing angle isnt ideal but ideal would be based on comfort NOT function. Functionally, it is the exact angle needed to block light/glare.

Reactions: HoodiVision
Hij, do you think it would alsof fit a Nexus 9 inch?
Hello Rob, we checked out the dimensions of the Nexus 9 which are very close to the iPad Air but not quite as deep. The bezels also appear to be of similar dimensions. Based on that the PadHat Hybrid should work for the Nexus 9. The wings will hang past the edge just a bit but the wing tabs should still grab the left and right bezels. Please see the mounting instructions for the PadHat Hybrid here to be sure it is right for your needs.

We have a 30 day unconditional guarantee so if you want to test it out it would be a win-win for both. Please be advised that because we have free shipping in the US we cannot afford to also subsidize return shipping.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

I don't usually have the antennas pointing out to the side like that, I usually have them parallel to each other and facing upwards, vertically to the sky as possible. As I said, I had no problems with signal degradation.

I will take a side shot of the PadHat installed so you can see the orientation of the antennas.

I must say that I never said that the sunshade fits poorly, in fact on the contrary, the shade fits very well on the iPad, everything is accessible and the screen is fully accessible by hand.

My only issue, if you could even call it that is the nanostik tabs, they are not suitable for our use. But the velcro pads resolve this, so for me there is no problem.

Finally, please do not take my words and reconstruct them to support your own argument. What I have written is an honest review on the product, and I am very pleased with it.

Reactions: HoodiVision
Hello. Thanks for the thorough and honest review.

The velcro top wing tab came after conversing with and seeing how pilots use the shade. We are every interested in pilot experience and finding solutions for their needs. We are working on solutions for the fixed angle Inspire 1 issue. We are also prototyping a professional shade model with adjustable angle that has a hood length extension so that it actually works. It will have firm sides and higher/deeper back end for hand access to the display. It means added weight but we are experimenting with lightweight materials. That does come with higher production costs so we will need to test the waters to see if the final price point is compatible with the market. We hope to start testing with pilots by the end of summer and hopefully sooner.

FYI we just received a tweet with photo from the PadHat in action in Chernobyl Russia on a documentary shoot. Here it is on our Facebook page.

Thanks again and happy flying.
The HoodiVision Team

I would be very interested to see a different version designed specially for Inspire users. If you require any overseas testers, please bare me in mind.

As it stands, the PadHat I now have does exactly what I purchased for and I am very happy with it. Well done on producing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac