Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Velcro Hoodivisions not ideal for Inspire pilots

steve, to be blunt, this is not rocket science, it s a hood, many of us are pros, and are used to using hoods made by many manufactureres on a daily basis. the magnet made it so the back was thick, and didnt fit securly, and the inspire 1 holder could not grasp enough. maybe i have an older model? the angle, while looks good on paper forces the viewer to look at an angle, and push it far forward towards the antenae. the micro suction tabs dont hold, im sure i am using them right, and i clean them. this is not an attack on you or your company, just some blunt feedback from a customer. have you flown an inspire 1 with one of your micro tab hoods on a windy day?

Reactions: CoastalBird
steve, to be blunt, this is not rocket science, it s a hood, many of us are pros, and are used to using hoods made by many manufactureres on a daily basis. the magnet made it so the back was thick, and didnt fit securly, and the inspire 1 holder could not grasp enough. maybe i have an older model? the angle, while looks good on paper forces the viewer to look at an angle, and push it far forward towards the antenae. the micro suction tabs dont hold, im sure i am using them right, and i clean them. this is not an attack on you or your company, just some blunt feedback from a customer. have you flown an inspire 1 with one of your micro tab hoods on a windy day?

That's exactly the problem I was having and described in an earlier post above. Having said that, this has come closer to working than the others I've tried and returned, so far.

This Hoodi may go back, as I am really concerned about that magnet and the RC holder for the iPad Air 2. Will try it tomorrow.

Hi John,

Thanks for the honest and sincere reply.

We ended up starting this company 2.5 years ago when trying to use an iPad on my sailboat. The initial solution caught on and we were first marketing to similar users looking to use their iPads outdoors for various activities. Then the UAV/drone community discovered us and we started receiving positive reviews and comments and discovered that we were being posted on this and similar forums. With greater visibility comes the inevitable criticism on social networks and we are just doing our best to make sure the info about our products is correct and provide responsive and sincere customer service. Plus we actively request any and all suggestions in regards to performance as we continue to develop and refine our shades.

We maintain that we have the best overall solution on the market including price, design and functionality and are proud of our products.
And based on your comment about trying various shades I think it is clear that no other commercial producer of shades is anywhere as close as we are to serving the needs of most users.

We do not know which one you have however the last 2nd and 3rd generation hoods use a magbar and the first generation used larger magnets that actually attached to the top of iPad instead the back edge like a smart cover. We addressed the issue of securing wing tabs in windy situations in a comment above including the availability of velcro type conversion tabs for those with who purchased magnetic shades.

There are many mounts on the market and we sell to more than just DJI users.
We have many users who seem to be very happy with the attachment using the Inspire 1 holder.
If you could please post a pic showing the problem you are having we can better understand your situation.

And respectfully the whole issue of shade angles and blocking glare does come down to science as explained above with the link to our page about the subject. Many people understandably do not intuit the relationship between angle and height and as stated we tested and explored all combinations we could to determine the best solution.

We are aware of the antenna issue but our feedback so far shows that no one has reported any actual reception problems.
We want to be the first to know if there is.

For us the most ongoing and frustrating issue is the issue of the magnets.
iPads have built in magnets and we use the same type magbar that Apple uses on their smart covers.
Again we have no reports that the magnets in the iPad or our shades have interfered in any way and there are pilot comments attesting to that fact.
In spite of this we continue to see posted concerns about the magnets without any actual reports to the contrary.
And again we state that we want to be the first to know if there are any actual documented problems.

I respect that you are a pro as are many other Inspire 1 users.
My background is as an award winning (Clios, Cannes Lions, interactive Emmy nomination and more) professional filmmaker, editor and producer in commercials, TV, movies, documentaries and interactive so I am well aware of the needs of DPs and camera operators and the viewing of playback monitors on location.

I hope this long post helps to clarify who we are, why we posted the above comments on this thread and continue to try to service our customers with sincere goodwill and factual information.

My Sincerest Best to You,
Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: JER
I'm using my hat on an air 2. Works just fine.

Regarding the angle its a necessary evil, I'm still able to view my screen just fine and get over 2km range with the air2 With antennas still pointing at craft.

I have tried many shades and this is the best by far. Is it perfect? No but I'm all ear if someone has found something better.

Last edited:
Thank you blade strike. We are the first to agree that our shades are not the ultimate perfection re Inspire 1 needs. The shade was designed for a variety of uses, not just drone pilots. At the same time we listen and continue to prototype design ideas. We have been through over 40 so far to arrive at the PadHat. Given the market and continued interest in our shades DJI pilots could in the future see a hood designed specifically for them. But this is a ways off at this time as it takes time to perfect, test, manufacture and get it to market.

When I placed my order a few days ago it said in stock (pad hat for iPad air 2). My confirmation receipt however says back ordered. Which is it? I ordered the silver one I think

Regarding the angle its a necessary evil, I'm still able to view my screen just fine and get over 2km range with the air2 With antennas still pointing at craft.

I have tried many shades and this is the best by far. Is it perfect? No but I'm all ear if someone has found something better.

Duct tape over the tabs works well! :)

i ordered the Velcro version for ipad air 2. in my mind the magnets version is not going to be strong enough for lots of motion and what not,(i have not tested the magnetic version just my opinion in buying one.) the velcro is at least fairly locked down, but i will see i get my version on march 3rd and will post a test. hope there is no issues in attachment while using the RC, as they say in this forum that the magnet version is the one to use. hope it works :)

Hi. They both work. With the magnetic version, the iPad mount is a snug fit and holds the magnet bar and iPad securely.
The best we can tell about the Hybrid comment from the person who started this thread is that they did not attach it correctly. Both hoods attach to the iPad and then put in the mount. Let us know what you find out!

Hi. They both work. With the magnetic version, the iPad mount is a snug fit and holds the magnet bar and iPad securely.
The best we can tell about the Hybrid comment from the person who started this thread is that they did not attach it correctly. Both hoods attach to the iPad and then put in the mount. Let us know what you find out!

Hi Steve,
I just received my Padhat hybrid Velcro for ipad air 2? question: is it supposed to go around the whole out side of the ipad or does it cut off the corners of the pad when attached? Or did i receive a mini version? Mine does not wrap the whole ipad and the corners of the pad stick out from the top part.. If so why? also I think i would prefer the Magnetic version as i cant use case with them on the back of the ipad air 2 (case wont fit now when not using padhat) Is there a way to return for the magnetic ipad air 2 version as i think i would prefer that one.( as long as it fits right.)

Hi Steve,
I just received my Padhat hybrid Velcro for ipad air 2? question: is it supposed to go around the whole out side of the ipad or does it cut off the corners of the pad when attached? Or did i receive a mini version? Mine does not wrap the whole ipad and the corners of the pad stick out from the top part.. If so why? also I think i would prefer the Magnetic version as i cant use case with them on the back of the ipad air 2 (case wont fit now when not using padhat) Is there a way to return for the magnetic ipad air 2 version as i think i would prefer that one.( as long as it fits right.)

Hi. We would prefer to handle customer service through our website and not on the forum. Please request your exchange at [email protected]. If you scroll back up this thread and look at the pics you will see that yes, it does wrap over the corners. There are many reasons for this including that the iPad with shade can be carried by either hand. Our recommendation has always been to use the magnetic version, although both versions do work with the Inspire iPad mount. Thanks, Steve.

Hi. We would prefer to handle customer service through our website and not on the forum. Please request your exchange at [email protected]. If you scroll back up this thread and look at the pics you will see that yes, it does wrap over the corners. There are many reasons for this including that the iPad with shade can be carried by either hand. Our recommendation has always been to use the magnetic version, although both versions do work with the Inspire iPad mount. Thanks, Steve.

Also with the magnet it is a snug fit. Attach the hood first. Open mount all the way. Put back of iPad in first under rubber and then push in the the front of iPad to bottom of mount.

Also with the magnet it is a snug fit. Attach the hood first. Open mount all the way. Put back of iPad in first under rubber and then push in the the front of iPad to bottom of mount.
Thanks for the Reply Steve. I am happy with the design Quality, just magnet version would be better for my purpose then the Velcro i guess. i contacted customer service so thank you.

Reactions: Steve CEO

G'day blade strike. Which one do you have? I'm thinking of buying the magnetic one for my Air 2 but I'm concerned about the magnets interfering with the RC.
I'm tipping postage to Melbourne Australia will be expensive.

G'day blade strike. Which one do you have? I'm thinking of buying the magnetic one for my Air 2 but I'm concerned about the magnets interfering with the RC.
I'm tipping postage to Melbourne Australia will be expensive.[/QUO

iPads have built in magnets and we use the same type magbar that Apple uses on their smart covers. We have sold hundreds to Inspire 1 pilots.
There have been no reports that the magnets in the iPad or our shades have interfered in any way and there are pilot comments attesting to that fact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainfraktured