Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Wanting to get the inspire 2 next month but worried about bugs still.

Reaction score
Hello everyone new to this Forum and posted something similar to what I'm asking now over at the DJI Forum but not to many responses. Anyways i'm coming from a Q5004k and wanting to step into the inspire club but with the x4s as that's what my budget says lol. A couple of questions. Also this is just for home use I dont plan on making money on it.

1. The x4s can you record video to the ssd if you have one installed? Would like to have the x5s but there is so much more you have to get along with it to make full use of it. SSD SSD reader licenses etc.

2. I hear there are multiple apps you can use to fly the inspire 2 what one is best to use after a couple months of the stock version under my belt.

3. Are there still a lot of cases of people falling out of the size for no reason? ( I personal have never had anything like this happen to me are lose control of my q500 ever. ) Guess i'm lucky.

4. Is there an insurance company out there that will cover you for fly aways? Or crashing. 3500 flying away will put a big hurt on my wallet. lol. And never crashed before Knock on wood. Broke propellers before.

5. Firmware updates? I heard bad things about it. People having problems when its released. I fill that i've waited long enough and a lot less people are having problems because of that.

6. Do you guys know of any reviews on this bird with the x4s. Everyone is reviewing it with the x5s. Not everyone has 1800 just for the camera. Sorry just a little frustrated about it lol.

7. Seems a lot of people only report the bad things about crashing falling out of the sky etc. Are there people who hasn't had problems from day one? Just worried about spending 3 grand this and have to send it back and DJI keeps it for months on it.

8. What software should I use to edit video? I have a pretty powerfully pc. alienware intel i6 overclocked to 4 Ghz and 1070 nvidia. So I dont think i'll be hurting in that department when editing videos.

9. Also do they ever put the inspires on sale?

Well, thanks in advance for reading my post hope I get more answers then what I did on DJI site.

1. I'm looking at the X5S so I can't help your there. I may hold off on the license and SSD part for a while and add it later down the line once I'm comfortable with it not being a lemon.

2. Litchi and Autopilot come to mind. Litchi has a pretty good following and works on both Android and Apple devices. Autopilot is more complex in operation and only works on the Apple gear. Best to watch all the Youtube videos to decide.

Personally, you couldn't get me into using an Android device with DJI gear again. Too many issues that appear online seem to make it the least reliable OS for GO 4 which you'll need. The Apple gear is a lot easier to connect up to the controller, imho. I'd guess the Android to Apple problems are 9:1 odds.

3. Stuff happens like some of the violent shake apart videos, and some battery or power issues. DJI quality is very questionable at times. Someone on here has quite a few of them and some took updates and others would not. They all seem to have their individual quirks. I had 3 P4's and they all operated somewhat differently someplace.

4. Some say State Farm has gear coverage, but I don't know about a fly-away should it happen. DJI's own insurance seems to get mixed reviews too. I have a lot of commercial photo gear on my policy through a local broker as well as my general liability of $5 million needed for some movie sets I work on. I may add the I2 at some point to the policy when I get one. Talk to some of your local agents and see what they have and say. My damage deductible is $1K and I think most I2 repairs have been less than that so I'd get stuck paying it anyway even without insurance. You may need the liability part sooner or later the way the laws are going just to fly them.

5. Might do the firmware immediately when you first buy it and see if it takes or not. Electronic gear often fails within the first few hours so exercise that. If it's a lemon, maybe you can exchange it immediately (Hopefully with your local dealer.). Mail order might be slow with any issues given DJI's questionable quality control problems, and some dealers who have questionable return policies as well. After that, might pay to leave it alone if it works.

6. Don't know about the X4S. I want the ability to upgrade and need better lens change-outs.

7. There are surely some out there with no problems someplace. Should you get a bad one, then DJI may be throwing salt into the wound with their refurb process where your refurb will look less pristine than the one you sent in, and then a long wait on service too. I don't like their current service system and policy at all and prefer to buy one out of a "local shop" where I can return it the same day for another "new one" and not deal with their service should I get a DOA battery, crooked sensor, bad landing gear, bad prop mounts, or one that refuses to update the software or firmware. Check on your seller's return/exchange and/or their money-back policy too. If DJI put out a quality product, I might buy online but not until they do. My past experience with them isn't too good so I too am very leery of DJI overall, but they are about the only game in techy-town unless you want to triple the cost in another brand and hobble it together as a DIY project (i.e. Freefly Alta 6 or 8, etc.).

8. Maybe when they come out with the Inspire 2 Version 2 like they did with the Inspire 1 Version 1 the I2 might drop a bit to unload them as with the P4 to P4P change. They may make some refurbs available around then too (but I wouldn't touch one!). That may happen at the end of 2017 as the Inspire 1 took one year before the I1-V2 appeared.

Good luck...and it is really luck too with them too! Go over it thoroughly and don't let it sit too long before you check it all out. My second defective DJI drone I almost missed the return date by two days before I found a bug in its sensor and the need to return it.

My two cents, fwiw.

1. I'm looking at the X5S so I can't help your there. I may hold off on the license and SSD part for a while and add it later down the line once I'm comfortable with it not being a lemon.

2. Litchi and Autopilot come to mind. Litchi has a pretty good following and works on both Android and Apple devices. Autopilot is more complex in operation and only works on the Apple gear. Best to watch all the Youtube videos to decide.

Personally, you couldn't get me into using an Android device with DJI gear again. Too many issues that appear online seem to make it the least reliable OS for GO 4 which you'll need. The Apple gear is a lot easier to connect up to the controller, imho. I'd guess the Android to Apple problems are 9:1 odds.

3. Stuff happens like some of the violent shake apart videos, and some battery or power issues. DJI quality is very questionable at times. Someone on here has quite a few of them and some took updates and others would not. They all seem to have their individual quirks. I had 3 P4's and they all operated somewhat differently someplace.

4. Some say State Farm has gear coverage, but I don't know about a fly-away should it happen. DJI's own insurance seems to get mixed reviews too. I have a lot of commercial photo gear on my policy through a local broker as well as my general liability of $5 million needed for some movie sets I work on. I may add the I2 at some point to the policy when I get one. Talk to some of your local agents and see what they have and say. My damage deductible is $1K and I think most I2 repairs have been less than that so I'd get stuck paying it anyway even without insurance. You may need the liability part sooner or later the way the laws are going just to fly them.

5. Might do the firmware immediately when you first buy it and see if it takes or not. Electronic gear often fails within the first few hours so exercise that. If it's a lemon, maybe you can exchange it immediately (Hopefully with your local dealer.). Mail order might be slow with any issues given DJI's questionable quality control problems, and some dealers who have questionable return policies as well. After that, might pay to leave it alone if it works.

6. Don't know about the X4S. I want the ability to upgrade and need better lens change-outs.

7. There are surely some out there with no problems someplace. Should you get a bad one, then DJI may be throwing salt into the wound with their refurb process where your refurb will look less pristine than the one you sent in, and then a long wait on service too. I don't like their current service system and policy at all and prefer to buy one out of a "local shop" where I can return it the same day for another "new one" and not deal with their service should I get a DOA battery, crooked sensor, bad landing gear, bad prop mounts, or one that refuses to update the software or firmware. Check on your seller's return/exchange and/or their money-back policy too. If DJI put out a quality product, I might buy online but not until they do. My past experience with them isn't too good so I too am very leery of DJI overall, but they are about the only game in techy-town unless you want to triple the cost in another brand and hobble it together as a DIY project (i.e. Freefly Alta 6 or 8, etc.).

8. Maybe when they come out with the Inspire 2 Version 2 like they did with the Inspire 1 Version 1 the I2 might drop a bit to unload them as with the P4 to P4P change. They may make some refurbs available around then too (but I wouldn't touch one!). That may happen at the end of 2017 as the Inspire 1 took one year before the I1-V2 appeared.

Good luck...and it is really luck too with them too! Go over it thoroughly and don't let it sit too long before you check it all out. My second defective DJI drone I almost missed the return date by two days before I found a bug in its sensor and the need to return it.

My two cents, fwiw.
What sensor did you almost miss? Wondering? There is a retailer i found thats been around for years over 20 that has a 2 month return policy if I found something wrong so no dealing with dji. At least for the first 60 days lol. And i'm not a big fan of apple. Is there anyone out there using android that can chime in on what to get? I have a note 4 as of now. But Would be welling to get a tablet if need be.

See answers is green.

1. The x4s can you record video to the ssd if you have one installed? Would like to have the x5s but there is so much more you have to get along with it to make full use of it. SSD SSD reader licenses etc.

No, the X4S can only record to the Micro SD.

2. I hear there are multiple apps you can use to fly the inspire 2 what one is best to use after a couple months of the stock version under my belt.

Autopilot is a great option but isn't receiving a whole lot of love for Inspire 2 compatibility. Litchi is becoming increasingly popular.

3. Are there still a lot of cases of people falling out of the size for no reason? ( I personal have never had anything like this happen to me are lose control of my q500 ever. ) Guess i'm lucky.

Definitely very rare. The nature of forums are they include a lot more the negatives and problems. If you're happy with something you're not always going to go write about your great experience (not saying this doesn't happen but you definitely see more of the negative reported).

4. Is there an insurance company out there that will cover you for fly aways? Or crashing. 3500 flying away will put a big hurt on my wallet. lol. And never crashed before Knock on wood. Broke propellers before.

Your best bet is to go with DJI Care Refresh and/or a company that specializes in UAV insurance like Transport Risk.

5. Firmware updates? I heard bad things about it. People having problems when its released. I fill that i've waited long enough and a lot less people are having problems because of that.

Some firmware updates cause issues, others provide fixes to issues. I would say that the more recent firmware updates are curing most issues and out of all of the units being cured of issues there are a handful that come down with a bug/issue from a FW update.

6. Do you guys know of any reviews on this bird with the x4s. Everyone is reviewing it with the x5s. Not everyone has 1800 just for the camera. Sorry just a little frustrated about it lol.

Nothing comes to mind that I know of. There definitely are plenty of I2 owners with the X4S here on the forum so maybe more of those owners will chime in.

7. Seems a lot of people only report the bad things about crashing falling out of the sky etc. Are there people who hasn't had problems from day one? Just worried about spending 3 grand this and have to send it back and DJI keeps it for months on it.

Most definitely. As mentioned in the answer to question 3, you see a lot more the negative reported. We've definitely heard from dozens of I2 owners that have had close to zero or very little issues with their I2 since day one.

8. What software should I use to edit video? I have a pretty powerfully pc. alienware intel i6 overclocked to 4 Ghz and 1070 nvidia. So I dont think i'll be hurting in that department when editing videos.

All depends on how much you want to get into it. For recreational purposes or commercial use? The progression for a Mac user typically is iMovie -> Final Cut Pro -> Adobe Premiere. If you have experience in the Adobe environment I would recommend jumping right into Premiere.

9. Also do they ever put the inspires on sale?

Not until a new model/version Inspire comes around typically. With the I1 it was released in November and if I recall correctly it did not receive a price drop until the following September.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out. We'd be happy to further assist you with your Inspire 2 setup.

-Dan

@392hemi : Looks like you are getting lots of good answers here. I would second most everything Dan @ Advexure said above.

As for your editing, it looks like you have a PC and not a Mac so Adobe Premiere is a great place to get started. If you want to try something else, you can look into Davinci Resolve from www.blackmagicdesign.com - its a fantastic color program and a good editor. If you are new to editing, head over to www.lynda.com and browse all the video editing training there. Its a subscription service but there courses are excellent and there is tons on video editing, color correction, etc.

As for the X4S, we were involved in a big review of the Inspire 2, Inspire 1, M600, P4 Pro, etc and we did use the X4S some. We also keep a dealer demo of it and could certainly help get you any additional info you would like to see on it.

Let me know if we can help in any other way.

What sensor did you almost miss? Wondering? There is a retailer i found thats been around for years over 20 that has a 2 month return policy if I found something wrong so no dealing with dji. At least for the first 60 days lol. And i'm not a big fan of apple. Is there anyone out there using android that can chime in on what to get? I have a note 4 as of now. But Would be welling to get a tablet if need be.

Sensor was tilted where one side of the frame was a lot sharper than the other. It had to go.

I had the same thoughts about Apple too and resisted, but after dealing with all the Android devices and wasting money on them and dealing with their multitudes of issues of broken video feeds and now unable to connect often at times to GO and shutting down in flight, no more Android here. DJI is even having issues reported within their P4 Pro + screen now too which is Android based and locked to prevent outside software from influencing it. Generally, too much background stuff is allowed on Android to run and it takes over the processor and GO needs a lot too, so the Android overheats and the video begins to break up or disconnects or shuts down needing a reboot in flight. Wait until you have an ad popup while in GO saying to pay your bill or get a free Starbucks coffee or something similar. Why the app makers are allowed to get so deep into the device with ads and access to contacts, camera, etc. is bad overall. At least Apple controls what is allowed to run and you can see them by pressing the Home button a couple of times and swipe and shut them down. With Android you have to hunt for them to close, and maybe root the device so it is a clean OS and not so bloated as each manufacture adds their own stuff to the OS where Apple doesn't. Battery lasts far longer to in the Apple, imhe, but it is using less resources too. With the Air 2 I can plug it in and run GO without an issue, but Android is a mess to connect now and crashes often and has been that way for a year. DJI seems to discount Android problems and like I said prior, that system seems to always be behind online problem reports. You can save a buck with Android, but you may end up with a pile of them over one working iPad Air 2+cellular model too. Cry once rather than multiple times.

I'm curious as to who gives you a 60 day return policy? Best Buy has 30 days if you are an Elite member (I think? Otherwise it's 15 days.) and are the easiest I've dealt with on replacing bad gear for new, and they have taken a lot of DJI gear back according to the assistant at the customer service counter. I asked her about the Apple iPad Air 2+Cellular I planned to buy there to replace my "breaking up GO video devices running Android that I wasted money on" and she said very little Apple stuff comes back verses DJI. Samsung had that bad recall for burning devices they dealt with, but Apple did have a under performing 6s battery too.

On editing software, I believe Adobe Premier is now subscription-based so you'll pay for it forever and will stop working once you stop paying. I have the old non-subscription Photoshop CS6 still running now for three years rather than paying them for Cloud-based Photoshop CC forever. Not that much changes in editing land other than camera profiles which have ways around that. My DSL isn't so fast either being remote so I can't do Cloud software as it takes hours to come down the line. Resolve 14 is free and is both Windows and Apple based, although complex, until you want the HD codec stuff and special effects and you can use it forever rather than renting it. Final Cut is only Apple so far.

Good luck!

Make sure you have money for refresh for the aircraft and camera. Or hold off till you have to pay to get better tech support"what a joke" . I'm on my third defected one an know several others that returned there's a received new ones with issues. There quality control is non existent. My personal experience.

Make sure you have money for refresh for the aircraft and camera. Or hold off till you have to pay to get better tech support"what a joke" . I'm on my third defected one an know several others that returned there's a received new ones with issues. There quality control is non existent. My personal experience.
What went wrong with it?

I personally do not know anyone who have had a defective unit. Living in Los Angeles, there are a lot of operators out here. Never buy into all the Internet forum hype.

Reactions: Advexure
I have had a Q500 for a year before purchasing my I 2. I love the I2. I do use it professionally for topographic mapping with an Engineering firm. Surveyor sets ground control. I go fly.
I have to honest. I haven't flown the Q since I got the I2.
I have not had one issue w the I2, or the Q for that matter. Pray you get a good one. But get one.

I have had a Q500 for a year before purchasing my I 2. I love the I2. I do use it professionally for topographic mapping with an Engineering firm. Surveyor sets ground control. I go fly.
I have to honest. I haven't flown the Q since I got the I2.
I have not had one issue w the I2, or the Q for that matter. Pray you get a good one. But get one.
what control software are you using for the Inspire missions ?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Never buy into all the Internet forum hype.

100% true. The primary existence of forums is to be a place to for people to share their problems and obtain help from others, with that being said you will naturally see a bit more of the negative and not so much of the positive, except for @iBW2 above, thanks for sharing your positive vibes ;) Overall for fiscal 2017 the Inspire 2 and Mavic have seen a very small defect rate. Yes, there have been a few issues, primarily the dreaded rattling propeller issue which has been frustrating to see after DJI had similar Inspire propeller issues at the launch of the Inspire 1 two years. You would think they would have learned their lesson the first go around.

Without a doubt, share your negative and not so ideal experiences but if you've had positive experiences with Inspire 2 come out of your shell and share your positive feedback as well :D

Enjoy your new I2, @392hemi, and safe and happy flying! :cool:

what control software are you using for the Inspire missions ?

Drone Deploy for faster flights in lower wind and Dji Go Pro for much slower flights in higher winds. Go pro at 200 feet AGL only goes at 5mph. Great for smaller jobs. DD for larger jobs.
The last 5 missions I didn't touch the control sticks. I'm going to try out Map Pilots newer linear flight planning. We do a lot of sewer/water and streets cape stuff.

Well drone should be here today. And called state farm to insure it. Very happy to hear that my almost 4 grand drone will be covered for only 60 bucks a year i dont see why anyone shouldn't get this on the inspire2. I know i dont have an extra 3 grand laying around. Its pretty much almost a tank of gas to be covered. For us hobbyist anyway.

Yes it is for hobbyists. As I dont ever plan on trying to make money with it just for fun and personal use filming pics etc.

Reactions: Phil DeVore

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanV875