Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where to from here?

Reaction score
Bought the Phantom 3 standard. Then the Phantom 4 pro+. Finally the Inspire 2. My interest is thermal imaging. Now I can't even buy a camera for the Inspire 2. My props are loose and I'm not sure I would want to put a $10,000 camera on it if I even could. I have looked at the posts regarding the LP adapters and T-Motor props and I find myself confused as to what to buy for another $300 to just make this bird safe. I thought about the Matrice line. The 100 doesn't seem like the best choice and after researching the 600 there seems to be a lot of problems there as well. DJI sure seems as if they don't care about you after they have your money. The 200 is so new we don't even have a price let alone a shipping date. Sometime in the second Quarter. After all I have seen with DJI I am gun shy to spend any more money on their products unless they have been thoroughly tested and rated. The Matrice 600 pro may be an adequate choice however.......I feel a kinship to all the people DJI screwed on the 600. The only other choice I can see at this point would possibly be the Yuneec 520? Again, not released yet so we're still waiting. So, I ask again, Where to from here?

What thermal camera do you have (or are you looking at) - what thermal imaging are you looking at - do you need live stop temp for example, are you looking at wide area such as solar farms for overlaying a thermal layer, etc - what are you trying to achieve ?

I'll try and answer both reply's here. First just sheer ignorance. I thought being so new that the thermal camera just had not been released as I didn't know originally that the xt would not work. Second I would like to do Solar, and tower work. Both cell and wind turbine. I would also like to do commercial roof inspection. I would need radiometric to compile thorough reports with. I'm thinking Flir

You'd be better off waiting for the Matrice 200 in that case - to allow XT and visual camera at the same time.

The I2 will be fine for general inspection for images and video, however for radiometric, either buy an Inspire 1 and the XT or wait for the M200.

The I2 for your thermal requirement even with external flir will not work - i have tao2 640 radiometric, and am building a custom uav for this, and keeping the i2 for mapping.

Reactions: Thatius Dudeson
Do you have a problem with loose props with your I2?
A slight rattle on my original blades which was rectified by a little bit of andres toilet roll stuffed in the end and it flew fine. Unfortunately for me, i had issues with a firmware glitch with mapping which took me off-line for a while.

I then purchased the amazing adapters and t-motor carbon fibre blades which look amazing quality, however i stripped the screws so currently have it being repairs by a dealer (hopefully i wont need 3 new motors).

Once i get it back, ill try it but all indications suggest that the new blades will work very well - and a number of members on here have done so with great effect. There is also a number of members on here who say the best blades are the ones that come with it- so its your choice as to how you feel.

I took the view that £4-5k worth of UAV supported by cheap plastic blades made for a weak point, but thats my view.

Depending on whether you already have the thermal camera or not and all the associated software and permissions, etc a cheap Inspire 1 would be a good workaround for the moment, and wait for the M200, or concentrate on visual inspections of turbines, and roofs etc and stick with the I2 for the mo.

Reactions: Thatius Dudeson
You'd be better off waiting for the Matrice 200 in that case - to allow XT and visual camera at the same time.

The I2 will be fine for general inspection for images and video, however for radiometric, either buy an Inspire 1 and the XT or wait for the M200.

The I2 for your thermal requirement even with external flir will not work - i have tao2 640 radiometric, and am building a custom uav for this, and keeping the i2 for mapping.
"The I2 for your thermal requirement even with external flir will not work"
Statements such as these drive me bonkers. Can you offer specific details from your experience why "it will not work."

"The I2 for your thermal requirement even with external flir will not work"
Statements such as these drive me bonkers. Can you offer specific details from your experience why "it will not work."
there is no direct interface between the flir and the dji - which means there is no means of getting flight data into flir to allow exif info and geotags - so there is no way of getting stitching files to line up to overlay on to any geographic system for layer over base maps.

The flir would only be able to be attached by a 3rd party gimbal / 3d printed part, which would then need its own power supply, flight controller, GPS, video transmission for spot radiomatetics, the cost of which would be wholly outweighed - either buy the i1 or wait for m200 or look at spending £15000+ on a custom solution.

If you read any of my posts on here i think you'll find I give enough insight, experience and knowledge to qualify my statements.

That good enough for you!

there is no direct interface between the flir and the dji - which means there is no means of getting flight data into flir to allow exif info and geotags - so there is no way of getting stitching files to line up to overlay on to any geographic system for layer over base maps.

The flir would only be able to be attached by a 3rd party gimbal / 3d printed part, which would then need its own power supply, flight controller, GPS, video transmission for spot radiomatetics, the cost of which would be wholly outweighed - either buy the i1 or wait for m200 or look at spending £15000+ on a custom solution.

If you read any of my posts on here i think you'll find I give enough insight, experience and knowledge to qualify my statements.

That good enough for you!
We already knew that. Sounded like you knew of other issues besides interconnectivity (obviously) . Relax, I wasn't questioning your qualifications, just asking for "inside baseball" information

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen