Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

Thanks @jborden. Will stay tuned for when you receive yours. Cheers.
I haven't test flown yet, just bench tested, but balanced the 14-42 nicely with 15.9g (at the mid-point roughly 27mm). This was done with a 37-46mm step up ring, 46mm UV/ND filter and then 3D printed balance weight. No complaints from the gimbal and no noise at all...

14-42a.jpg 14-42x.jpg

Attachments

• 14-42b.jpg
    14-42b.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 2nd2non
If anyone is interested in purchasing the firecrest ND filters, you can get a great price (50% off) ordering from their web site.

Promotions

The filters are top notch, highest quality and lightweight (~6g). Good weight for easy balancing most supported I2 lenses.
Not sure the sale will last, but I'm stocking up.

Reactions: SMD
The 14-42mm lens looks very good until you zoom past 50%, then you lose light and get lot of distortion, or is there something I don't see.

Check the latest firmware. It's supposed to fix this. I haven't upgraded yet

That would be great since I plan to use this lens for most of my filming, (I'll get more in the future but this will be my starter) Also I noticed that the Olympus version of the lens, now not compatible? Does not have that distortion (Skip to 1:16)

A couple of questions in case anyone here knows the answers.
1) Has anyone tried the Panasonic Leica H-X025 25mm/f1.4?
It looks to be within the weight capabilities and the reason I ask is because I and a friend are both having lots of issues with the Oly 25/1.8 and left-side blur for stills. I know the Panny is $$$, but would be worth it to rid myself of the soft side problem.
2) What are the issues for lens support. Is it simply a balancing issue or are there also software issues?
Thanks!

Where do I get balancing rings? Everyone keeps talking how important they are yet not a single person posted a link to get them

Many of the rings are interchangeable. Select the lens type and it will select a compatible one.
dc40a44b7a8401b0c71639ec41f53f34.jpg

I have the X5S with the stock 15mm lens and just purchased the 6-pack set of the PolarPro ND and PL filters. Do I need to add a balance ring or something to compensate for adding an ND? If so, I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to balance the weight. Also, I notice that the stock camera is already slightly front-heavy when the unit is not powered on, but I assume it's in the range of normal since that's how it came from DJI? Thanks for any insight, guys!

Last edited:
I have the X5S with the stock 15mm lens and just purchased the 6-pack set of the PolarPro ND and PL filters. Do I need to add a balance ring or something to compensate for adding an ND? If so, I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to balance the weight. Also, I notice that the stock camera is already slightly front-heavy when the unit is not powered on, but I assume it's in the range of normal since that's how it came from DJI? Thanks for any insight, guys!
Nope, leave the balance ring on and add filter... you can't stack those anyway, and the 6 pack goes pretty dark.

Depending on the weight of the filter, you may not need to add in the balance ring again.

For example, the firecrest filters are around 7-8g, which is close enough to the weight of the balance ring to not need it adding back in when using the filter. Worth Checking the weight if the polar pro filters.

@Pauly49 The polar pro filters are 6-7g each. Since the DJI balance guide suggests a filter OR balance ring at 10g, you should be pretty close if not a little light on the front end. I don't have the 15mm so can share my results. I'm curious how it looks with the hood. Take a picture and share

I just received a new balance ring, so updating this thread for balancing the 14-42 lenses.

Olympus 14-42
- balance for barrel fully extended (14&42)
- Sensei pro 37-46mm
- DJI 10g balance ring
- Firecrest IRND filter (0.9 or 1.2)

Panasonic LUMIX 14-42
- balance for barrel fully extended (14&42)
- Sensei pro 37-46mm
- DJI 10g balance ring
- Firecrest IRND filter (0.9 or 1.2)

61dc6c444f2a5689d94b54a50e912c8d.jpg
b3ee31c6cc9dfb1c633f1c857954205a.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game