Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Z3 vs Lens Options for X5

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some professional advice and hopefully someone here can help me out.

I'm looking to buy an Inspire 1 and will be mainly using it for mapping, 3D modeling and Inspections and I would also like to do professional videography and photography.

The Z3 camera looks great because of it's optical zoom (for inspection reasons), but I hear the X5 will produce better images and videos. Is this correct?

If I get the X5, would I be able to add an optical zoom lens to the camera that would work just as well as the Z3 or better? If so, what lens would you recommend?

I guess I'm look for the best of both words. If any of you know of better options please let me as I'm just starting out and looking to by smartly.

Reactions: ChrisG333
Hello,

I'm looking for some professional advice and hopefully someone here can help me out.

I too am in the same boat. I have an Inspire 1 2.0 but I'm looking to upgrade for the same reasons. I figured I may just buy the z3 and x5 both eventually. From what I've read the z3 does a great job for inspections and if you're doing something more aesthetically (weddings, social events) then the x5 is what you want. Im sure someone will give some good info.

I'm looking to buy an Inspire 1 and will be mainly using it for mapping, 3D modeling and Inspections and I would also like to do professional videography and photography.

The Z3 camera looks great because of it's optical zoom (for inspection reasons), but I hear the X5 will produce better images and videos. Is this correct?

If I get the X5, would I be able to add an optical zoom lens to the camera that would work just as well as the Z3 or better? If so, what lens would you recommend?

I guess I'm look for the best of both words. If any of you know of better options please let me as I'm just starting out and looking to by smartly.

X5 14-42 all the way. I've heard problems with green screen on z3 firmware might have fixed it but not sure

X5 with 14-42 (focal equivalent of 28-84) and add the focus wheel to your remote controller to essentially create a very easy to use zoom (can also be done in the Go App). Its the same focus wheel you are seeing on the Osmo and the new Inspire 2.

If you need help putting together any of the pieces or want to talk it through just let me know.

Ive used the olympus 45mm however it gets very shaky sometimes, not sure why. Works perfect on the osmo, not so good on the drone

Having had the Z3, experienced all of its laggy problems, and subsequently returned it I am now a firm supporter of the Olympus range of lenses. I have the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm primes together with the 14-42 zoom. Apart from the rather firm fit on the X5 I have no complaints re it's use and image quality.

Would I go back to the Z3? Not a chance. DJI have attempted to correct the issues with the latest firmware upgrade but I understand that there are still problems and I would still miss the micro 4/3 quality of the X5 camera.

Reactions: DigitalDrone
Having had the Z3, experienced all of its laggy problems, and subsequently returned it I am now a firm supporter of the Olympus range of lenses. I have the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm primes together with the 14-42 zoom. Apart from the rather firm fit on the X5 I have no complaints re it's use and image quality.

Would I go back to the Z3? Not a chance. DJI have attempted to correct the issues with the latest firmware upgrade but I understand that there are still problems and I would still miss the micro 4/3 quality of the X5 camera.

Thanks for the info. From the vids I've seen with the 14-42 lens, the video quality doesn't look so great, where as videos with the 45mm look nice. Any reasons for this?

Have you seen the gimbal that Drone Expert sells for the Sony WX500? Whats your thoughts on this and what do you think of using this camera compared to the X5 with 14-42 lens? Is it worth the extra money? What gets me is that the gimbal costs way more then the camera.

Thanks!

X5 with 14-42 (focal equivalent of 28-84) and add the focus wheel to your remote controller to essentially create a very easy to use zoom (can also be done in the Go App). Its the same focus wheel you are seeing on the Osmo and the new Inspire 2.

If you need help putting together any of the pieces or want to talk it through just let me know.

Thank you for your advice and I will definatly hit you up on you offer.

Thanks for the info. From the vids I've seen with the 14-42 lens, the video quality doesn't look so great, where as videos with the 45mm look nice. Any reasons for this?

Prime lenses are normally sharper and more contrasty then zooms.

Hi,

Do you think the zoom lens would give more than enough of a quality video for inspection type work to deliver to a client? How would only using a high focal prime lens work out for inspection videos vs a zoom?

Hi,

Do you think the zoom lens would give more than enough of a quality video for inspection type work to deliver to a client? How would only using a high focal prime lens work out for inspection videos vs a zoom?
Flying very close with a prime lens is always better for the quality. Zooms are a compromis, like a Swiss army knife is. But zoom gives you distance and safety.
We only use the zoom to be able to keep enough distance where needed.

The Z3 is fine for inspection pictures. Filming zoomed is a challenge. Every movement of the craft is multiplied by the zoom factor.

Reactions: ChrisG333
Flying very close with a prime lens is always better for the quality. Zooms are a compromis, like a Swiss army knife is. But zoom gives you distance and safety.
We only use the zoom to be able to keep enough distance.
Thanks for the info. How do you handle the shakiness with the zoom lens? Can you cut it out or edit it in post?

Thanks for the info. How do you handle the shakiness with the zoom lens? Can you cut it out or edit it in post?
Yep the shakiness is the problem. I tried the highest frame rate possible in 1080p and slowed down in post. Works for static subjects.

Yep the shakiness is the problem. I tried the highest frame rate possible in 1080p and slowed down in post. Works for static subjects.
Well thats fine then. I'll be mostly using the zoom for roofs and towers. Any added benefit to just using a high focal prime instead of a zoom lens?

In my book, safety is a total must. Quality, incredibly important of course, but it always comes second after safety. Zoom means more safety for inspections. A picture with the best possible prime single length lens is always better. But you need to fly close enough to the subject or crop in post (there goes the prime quality).

For me a zoom is a must have for inspection, not always maybe, but I want to be able to avoid the need and pressure to fly very close.

A zoom also can safe flying time. Multiple focal length options while hovering on the same spot. With a single length lens you have to fly toward and from the subject to get a close up and an overview.

A zoom also can safe flying time. Multiple focal length options while hovering on the same spot. With a single length lens you have to fly toward and from the subject to get a close up and an overview.
What focal length prime and what zoom lens would you recommend I buy that would be necessary for inspections? Does flying slower help a bit with the shakiness?

Thanks again for your advice.

What focal length prime and what zoom lens would you recommend I buy that would be necessary for inspections? Does flying slower help a bit with the shakiness?

Thanks again for your advice.
I'm using the Z3. But I'm sure many here can tell you a lot about the advantages of the changeable lenses with the X5. There's also a zoom for the X5. But it comes at a much higher price. And you need extra stuff to make it zoomable while flying. Much better results are to expected in the hands of an expert with an X5 then the Z3 though.
But the price performance of the Z3 is awesome.

Of course flying dead slow in Atti helps a lot. It's the GPS modes that makes it shaky most of the times. Hover and let it drift a little with the wind to have a smoother result in video. For photos a fast shutter speed overcomes the shakiness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74