Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Zip Line didn't really do what it's supposed to do.
James - thanks again for taking the time to provide valuable, detailed feedback. It is exactly these kinds of conversations and interactions that will make Autopilot awesome for everyone!

To address your specific point about Zip Line in your video, my guess is that you never dragged the position slider to 100% (all the way to Point B) - so the aircraft was just hovering around Point A. Granted, this is a little bit different than how the 3DR Solo thinks about things (it has a "play" button), but more on that point later.

I think you really need a youtube video showing the set up of each mode explaining the sliders and mods and how they affect the mode.
We totally agree, and video tutorials will be coming. The issue right now is that phase 1 of the beta is focused on exposing all the possible functionality that is in the code so that testers can exercise it to it's fullest potential with all combinations of the settings. Phase 2 of the beta will be focused on incorporating feedback from users like you into what we are calling a "beginner interface". The problem with making the video tutorials now (which are very time consuming to produce), is that the interface and functionality is almost 100% guaranteed to change, which means all that work will have to be redone. In reality we just don't have the bandwidth to do that in addition to all the code changes and marketing.

I can tell you you're pretty safe to scrap the portrait orientation as the way it's used is exclusively landscape
We have had just as many, if not more people tell us that they absolutely love portrait mode, and the fact that you can view maps and video side-by-side on the Flight Dashboard. This is the kind of thing I was referring to when I was asking for suggestions. We are walking a tightrope of trying to make everyone happy in all cases, which isn't possible. Many times you may not realize that just because you don't see a need for something on your particular device, other people find it extremely useful.

Not helping in the situation was the default map mode set to standard which is just street maps.
You can change the default map type in the settings.

Why does't point A have a map pointer selection?
It does, both on the Mode Controls page (by tapping POI) and on the Flight Dashboard (by toggling the content to Map).

How many times are device and RC separated?
The device and RC are never separate (they have to be connected). The reason you are given a choice is because your device may not have GPS (wifi iPad for example) but the RC does, and iOS gives developers no way to know that (thanks Apple).

Tutorial just brings up the wordy manual which definitely needs to be read multiple times.
This is where I get a little confused. Previously you say that the interface lacks explanations, but then you say the tutorial is too detailed? Definitely open to suggestions on making the tutorials easier to understand, but at the end of the day a picture says a thousand words, and that is the point of video tutorials, as we already agreed on.

As I said I was very impressed and excited with the Focus mode
Glad you enjoyed Focus mode so much - we definitely love that one too. Probably the most fun mode for people that still want to be "the pilot" :)

Reactions: kode
I found using my iphone 6+ for altitude makes altitude reading way off by about a 100 feet sitting on the ground. If i use the gps for altitude it is much better. Anyone have this issue?
I was trying out the hover mode where I noticed the altitude way off when using barometer.

I want to say that I was very pleased with the orbit after I used the gps for altitude.
Another thing that seems to be is when I select POI for the mark position and then I hit the button for marking it where the machine is (after I fly it to that position and altitude) it then seems to add the altitude to that from the altitude slider after you engage. I would think where you mark it should be where it goes and stays altitude and all.

Last edited:
I found using my iphone 6+ for altitude makes altitude reading way off by about a 100 feet sitting on the ground. If i use the gps for altitude it is much better. Anyone have this issue?
I was trying out the hover mode where I noticed the altitude way off when using barometer.
Yes, I've found the reading to be off for the barometer as well. I just kept selecting it though as I wasn't sure how important that step was. Apparently it's really important. Good thing I kept my finger on the Flight Mode switch.

James - thanks again for taking the time to provide valuable, detailed feedback. It is exactly these kinds of conversations and interactions that will make Autopilot awesome for everyone!
To address your specific point about Zip Line in your video, my guess is that you never dragged the position slider to 100% (all the way to Point B) - so the aircraft was just hovering around Point A. Granted, this is a little bit different than how the 3DR Solo thinks about things (it has a "play" button), but more on that point later.
We totally agree, and video tutorials will be coming. The issue right now is that phase 1 of the beta is focused on exposing all the possible functionality that is in the code so that testers can exercise it to it's fullest potential with all combinations of the settings. Phase 2 of the beta will be focused on incorporating feedback from users like you into what we are calling a "beginner interface". The problem with making the video tutorials now (which are very time consuming to produce), is that the interface and functionality is almost 100% guaranteed to change, which means all that work will have to be redone. In reality we just don't have the bandwidth to do that in addition to all the code changes and marketing.
We have had just as many, if not more people tell us that they absolutely love portrait mode, and the fact that you can view maps and video side-by-side on the Flight Dashboard. This is the kind of thing I was referring to when I was asking for suggestions. We are walking a tightrope of trying to make everyone happy in all cases, which isn't possible. Many times you may not realize that just because you don't see a need for something on your particular device, other people find it extremely useful.
You can change the default map type in the settings.
It does, both on the Mode Controls page (by tapping POI) and on the Flight Dashboard (by toggling the content to Map).
The device and RC are never separate (they have to be connected). The reason you are given a choice is because your device may not have GPS (wifi iPad for example) but the RC does, and iOS gives developers no way to know that (thanks Apple).
This is where I get a little confused. Previously you say that the interface lacks explanations, but then you say the tutorial is too detailed? Definitely open to suggestions on making the tutorials easier to understand, but at the end of the day a picture says a thousand words, and that is the point of video tutorials, as we already agreed on.
Glad you enjoyed Focus mode so much - we definitely love that one too. Probably the most fun mode for people that still want to be "the pilot" :)
Thanks for the response. I think with the manual / tutorial I'd like a step by step guide rather than just the blanket explanation of each setting/mod point with no regard to getting from A to B.
I'm glad the interface isn't final though I'd love to know who uses it in portrait. I might try that next time but I've never seen anyone use that orientation. Maybe yours is the first?
Zip Line will get a thorough working over next flight even if it takes 3 batteries.
The manual reads through each setting and mod change but doesn't have any real world guides or examples. It reads like a technical manual where it should just say... set this, then do this, then set this, adjust this then go. Agree those video tutorials will be welcomed.

How safe is it to switch modes while in the air, or even switch back to the DJI Pilot App to change setting?

Thanks for the response. I think with the manual / tutorial I'd like a step by step guide rather than just the blanket explanation of each setting/mod point with no regard to getting from A to B.
I'm glad the interface isn't final though I'd love to know who uses it in portrait. I might try that next time but I've never seen anyone use that orientation. Maybe yours is the first?
Zip Line will get a thorough working over next flight even if it takes 3 batteries.
The manual reads through each setting and mod change but doesn't have any real world guides or examples. It reads like a technical manual where it should just say... set this, then do this, then set this, adjust this then go. Agree those video tutorials will be welcomed.

How safe is it to switch modes while in the air, or even switch back to the DJI Pilot App to change setting?
I found you can switch over to the pilot app as long as you disengage the autoflight app then close the app and open the Pilot app and it hooks right up. If you don't disengage in autopilot and just close the autopilot the DJI Pilot will not get a signal. Not sure on changing modes part while live but I think you disengage then change mode you would be ok.

I found you can switch over to the pilot app as long as you disengage the autoflight app then close the app and open the Pilot app and it hooks right up. If you don't disengage in autopilot and just close the autopilot the DJI Pilot will not get a signal. Not sure on changing modes part while live but I think you disengage then change mode you would be ok.
Thanks, I was changing modes while flying and didn't really have any problems. It didn't crash on me but I can see how that may be a problem if the app crashes without disengaging.
That step before each mode where you select the barometer or whatever seems important but I practically just dismissed it selecting previous setting.

Video is sped up x2

Here is a video using the follow mode. Everything worked great. I was adjusting some of the controls the first minute or so but they were all responsive and worked as intended. I do wish the video feedback was better than it is, other than that I have no complaints this far. Will test more modes later today.

I noticed a distinct "S" flight pattern at several points....is this something we can correct using settings?

I have read the Flight School material and believe I'm following proper procedures but am having a problem with Engagement. I keep getting message that I'm below the 23ft deck and therefore no engagement.I thought when in Autopilot the craft would automatically ascend to proper altitude and then execute the operation ( eg. Zip line) you chose. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
chip

Good Day I installed the App and the orbit mode works flawlessly. BUT, the app needs to be explained via video it is very heavy with settings. Until then am reading the Flight School instructions over n over until I get full understanding. It's very detailed so it's a tad bit of info to digest. Am uploading the orbit video, I'll supply the link shortly.

Reactions: kode and Dogemaster
Hi. Been following this thread for a while. Really excited. Travelling through USA in Sept. Hopefully Autopilot will be ready by then. Rough estimate of eta of full release? Happy to beta test if spots still available.

Here are a couple videos I shot today using the autopilot app. The app works great, there was a couple of little things like the S pattern on the follow me mode and on the orbital mode the drone seemed to have a little issue sometimes with keeping us in the center of the frame. I'm still trying to figure out how to get better cable cam shots. Overall the app is awesome!

Good Day I installed the App and the orbit mode works flawlessly. BUT, the app needs to be explained via video it is very heavy with settings. Until then am reading the Flight School instructions over n over until I get full understanding. It's very detailed so it's a tad bit of info to digest. Am uploading the orbit video, I'll supply the link shortly.
Settings is a good thing, then there is more you can do. I think people need to just take some time to learn what the settings are doing by reading and practicing.

Reactions: Hammer_DE
I only had an hour this morning to try it out due to other obligations. The wind finally calmed down enough. Unfortunately early this afternoon, the rain and wind will be back until Thursday.

I couldn't get past the error201 message. Realise now that I should have set IOC to off in the Pilot App first.....stupid, I knew that.
See if tonight gives a few moments to fly although the forecast is not good.

Going back and forth between flight school and experience, it's clear what a powerful app this is. Certainly worth the wait. Thanks Autologc.

Flight school talks about setting a POI while engaged. I believe you can set this POI on the map before engagement, which seems far preferable, esp with a hybrid map, than doing it on the fly while engaged. Come to think of it, Flight school could use sections on specific preflight planning for each mode.

Flew 4 batteries worth yesterday. Very powerful app but as others have said, the UI is not always intuitive for a newbie. My biggest challenge was I did not have network connectivity so I could not check flight school. Spent most of each flight trying to reverse engineer everything.

I would like to see the documentation being available offline in the app. I may try to save Flight School as a pdf as an interim solution.

I am still trying to trust the aircraft while not under my direct control. Very nerve wrecking when do don't know what to expect. More worried about the firmware than the app.

Reactions: damoncooper
had a chance to try out a little the software today. did not have much time as weather was so so and I had difficulty in finding a quiet tree free isolated spot to test the way I originally wanted:
focus mode really works well and is almost perfect
follow mode also works quite well , but need to try out more to see how to set (for example for the inspire to fly in front of you and film you coming ..) all together seems solid nice software which once refined will be perfect.
Interface can however be improved (made more user friendly) but I am sure with the input from everybody and some thinking it will also be improved !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizamartin8033