Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

i really hope i did not get dumped... have issues with getting the iphone cleaned and running... newbee... :(

I felt uneasy about shifting from the pilot app to your program. Those of us used to using the pilot app will find that using your program is quite the transition.
In understand your sentiment. The issue is that the DJI Pilot app, and all the other apps that use it's look and feel are addressing a completely different usage pattern: stationary operator who is manually flying the aircraft. The Autopilot usage pattern is focused on both moving operators, and autonomous flight modes. This shift has many implications, some more subtle than others, that necessitate a re-imagining of the interface, and what is important. For example, in cases where you are flying the aircraft yourself, instrument readings such as altitude and speed are very high priority, but in the case of Autopilot, knowing what the computer is doing is even higher priority.

I will say that over time people will become more accustomed to the "Autopilot way", but we also plan to release video tutorials closer to release which will take the edge off the learning curve. This is, after all, still the beta phase, so we appreciate your patience.

I'd like to see a button that can make the FPV large enough to fill the screen.
You can turn off in-line controls in the settings which will devote more space to the video preview:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/aut...gs-flight-dashboard-inline-controls-preferred

Again, we chose the default for this to be enabled because most people want to use Autopilot for the autonomous capabilities, not as a replacement for the DJI Pilot app. In this case having the controls inline is incredibly useful.

I'd like to see an all in one solution. Any thoughts?

Also, waypoints. When?
There are a few pitfalls to trying to be everything to everyone.
1) You can end up making too many compromises on what truly sets you apart from the competition.
2) We are a lean start-up company and simply don't have the luxury to spend a bunch of resources to duplicate the functionality of the Pilot app at this time
3) Waypoint mode is related to #2 in that we have to make tough choices on what we prioritize first. Waypoint mode is a complicated feature to implement, and not everyone even agrees on exactly how it should operate. What I can say is that the more popular our app is, and the more people that buy it, the more likely it is that we will be able to continue pumping out awesome features for you guys.

In understand your sentiment. The issue is that the DJI Pilot app, and all the other apps that use it's look and feel are addressing a completely different usage pattern: stationary operator who is manually flying the aircraft. The Autopilot usage pattern is focused on both moving operators, and autonomous flight modes. This shift has many implications, some more subtle than others, that necessitate a re-imagining of the interface, and what is important. For example, in cases where you are flying the aircraft yourself, instrument readings such as altitude and speed are very high priority, but in the case of Autopilot, knowing what the computer is doing is even higher priority.

I will say that over time people will become more accustomed to the "Autopilot way", but we also plan to release video tutorials closer to release which will take the edge off the learning curve. This is, after all, still the beta phase, so we appreciate your patience.

You can turn off in-line controls in the settings which will devote more space to the video preview:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/aut...gs-flight-dashboard-inline-controls-preferred

Again, we chose the default for this to be enabled because most people want to use Autopilot for the autonomous capabilities, not as a replacement for the DJI Pilot app. In this case having the controls inline is incredibly useful.

There are a few pitfalls to trying to be everything to everyone.
1) You can end up making too many compromises on what truly sets you apart from the competition.
2) We are a lean start-up company and simply don't have the luxury to spend a bunch of resources to duplicate the functionality of the Pilot app at this time
3) Waypoint mode is related to #2 in that we have to make tough choices on what we prioritize first. Waypoint mode is a complicated feature to implement, and not everyone even agrees on exactly how it should operate. What I can say is that the more popular our app is, and the more people that buy it, the more likely it is that we will be able to continue pumping out awesome features for you guys.
once i get this friken iphone running and your app going you got me as a costumer :D

Yeah, I think if it's enabled and IOC appears to off, it automatically enables IOC when you toggle F on the remote. I unfortunately lost my time window to test things. I'll try again.
We were unable to reproduce the issue. We only get error 201 when IOC is enabled, not Multiple Flight Mode.

We were unable to reproduce the issue. We only get error 201 when IOC is enabled, not Multiple Flight Mode.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but did you try it on a phantom 3. I'm absolutely certain the IOC was off. If you enable multiple flight, the IOC will automatically change to on position when you flip the switch to F. Please verify on the phantom 3.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but did you try it on a phantom 3. I'm absolutely certain the IOC was off. If you enable multiple flight, the IOC will automatically change to on position when you flip the switch to F. Please verify on the phantom 3.
Works fine on the P3 as well.

Some observations( and issues) after a number of flights with Autoflight: when attempting to take off in any of the modes I most often get the message that it's below the Hard Deck by 23 feet and therefore will not engage. However, if I manually lift off and reach an altitude of 23 ft. or more Autoflight kicks in and the modes work. Sometimes Autoflight will lift off automatically( as I believe it is supposed to) but it it seems random. Second example: I'm down at the SF Bay in Albany Ca, and when I set home point it has me located at my home ( 1 1/2 miles away) and the craft at my flying point.Or if I set it to track it has me located about 960 ft away -on the freeway- and me once again at the flying point.I have recalibrated the compass and IMU at the fly point but no difference. IOC was off and so was multiple flight mode.
But overall I think Autoflight Logic has provided us with a very promising program.

Yes that is my experience too. I only had IOC disabled and it worked fine. It does not become re-enabled when the RC mode switch is set to F as someone suggested.

I will give away my beta tester place - I am on hollyday and will not become a good tester.

Yeah. Sadly I had to do the same and give up my beta tester place -- couldn't meet the two day test deadline owing to work commitments. Apart from which the weather was awful over the weekend.

it's below the Hard Deck by 23 feet and therefore will not engage.
The message is a warning only should not prevent Autopilot from engaging. If it happens while Autopilot is engaged, the flight control loop will discontinue all lateral movement and apply throttle until the aircraft ascends above the minimum altitude as a safety precaution.

We haven't heard any other users reporting this issue (preventing engage), so can you confirm and send steps to reproduce? As a side note, you should expect to see the warning every time you engage if you engage while on the ground as ground level is always below the minimum altitude. The message should change to Normal Flight once the minimum altitude is achieved.

Second example: I'm down at the SF Bay in Albany Ca, and when I set home point it has me located at my home ( 1 1/2 miles away) and the craft at my flying point.Or if I set it to track it has me located about 960 ft away -on the freeway- and me once again at the flying point.
Are you using a device that doesn't have GPS? If so, I believe this discussion applies:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#ff3c3583

Possible Enhancement for Intercept & Mimic Modes -

Jim,
Maybe this is already in the works but since the IOS device is tied to the RC and its travel is limited to the length of the 8 pin cable, are you working on maybe a Bluetooth (BT) paired link between the IOS device and a device the subject could carry? Though BT is limited to no more than 30 FT, that will be a lot farther than a physical cord. As I'm thinking about this, another even better way to connect might be for those that have an IOS phone with the personal hotspot feature enabled set up hot-spot WiFi sharing with this other device (that way you'll know they are communicating via WIfi and IP) so it could send its data (i.e. gps location, bearing, etc) back to the IOS device that's attached to the RC controller. If this works you might be able to enhance the Follow Mode as well so that the AC tracks the subject as the pilot remains stationary.

Is this something the team is working on?

Doug
aka
Knightowl

Ok, so is it best to report on here for, everyone else to see as well, and join in on if they have similar problems or issues? Or do you prefer we just email you? I've had two huge projects that have had me tied up. However, I did get to test it twice. I engaged after being in the air both times. I've got to learn the entire thing because it is honestly very confusion and I've got thousands of hours flying jets for UPS. Last night I found a local baseball park all light up. So, I tried the orbit mode but it made an oval not a circle for some reason. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. lol I also thought when we did the zip line we could pick a focal point of the camera as the Inspire flies by.

For example: I want to start in a say a hover using the DJI app over the side line of an American Football field (not soccer) at the goal line facing down the side line at say 100 feet agl. Then take a deep breath (just kidding) shut off the DJI app. Open the AutoLogic (AL) app and switch to F mode. I'd like to set the location where the inspire is hovering as Point A and set it to fly to Point B which would literally be the other end of the football field at the opposite goal line making the drone just fly down the sideline. I'd like to have two options.
1- tell AL to focus the camera on the 50 yard line dead center of the field. So, it flies straight down the sideline and as it is passing the 50 yard line the camera just view would be straight down the 50 yard line and continue to turn back as the drone flies down the sideline.
2- This is almost the same thing. The drone would fly perfectly straight down the side line but I'd be able to manually control the cameras position and adjust the pitch and yaw of the camera/gimbel during the flight based on what I want to capture on the field. Say, a player is running down the field. I'd like to be able to track or follow him with the camera as the camera goes down the side line. If he cuts right or left I can pitch the gimbel up as gets farther from the sideline I'm on or pitch down and almost appear right above him as he is running down the sideline by manually moving the gimbal down. Then once he is tackled, be able to to turn the camera myself to keep it locked on him as the drone keeps moving down the side line at 100 feet agl.
This is probably already possible but I don't know as I've not had the chance to go through this in detail. However, this afternoon is AutoLogic day.

I wish there was a definition page that matched a video to show the difference. For example, if you are in Orbit mode under the "Center" section on top, have a video that might explain what "Device", "RC" and "POI" exactly mean and what the result of selecting them would do. Do the same thing down at "Focus Strategy" or "Focus Subject".

Do we have to set the camera settings in the DJI app, or is there a place I can't find to change the ISO and shutter speed in the AL app or just touch the screen in "auto" mode to let the camera auto its exposure. In the DJI app, we can touch the screen in a dark area and that will brighten that area up by auto adjusting the exposure.

Last question: I noticed that when I was in the AL app I couldn't swap the gimbel from being able to pitch and then yaw. Normally, I we can push the button on the RC that changes the wheel setting from pitch to yaw. Am I missing something?

Sorry this is long but I wanted to throw out some of this. I'll be the first to say, I have not personally had the time to get into the manual in detail yet. So, some of my questions may already be covered once I get into the detail today. This is a great product and I'm beyond excited to finally have the time to do that.

Great work Auto Logic!!!

Reactions: Eric Rose
Sorry- one last question about waypoints. I know it would appear a daunting task to program. However, would it be fairly easy to just add a Point C and Point D to the Zip line? I think even if you could just add 2 more locations that would be a start in the right direction while you ramp up to sell it. You could also include the term "Waypoints" in the initial marketing to help sales without being dishonest like DJI was to everyone who bought the Inspire when they said Ground Station would be included.

missing supporrto multilingual software goes ' simplified too chaotic accommodation on one page , for example,
first page selection drone
second page selection mode ' of automatic flight
third page of the settings mode ' selected flight .
the mode ' waypoints more ' simplified with more ' points available at least 10 selectable points .
For the rest I have not encountered serious flaws aside some time the room takes up the landing gear during braking , good job keep it up good

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu