Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

not sure how to supply any feedback with regards to the features - so I'll add a few here ...

Hover - nothing too fancy seems to work just fine and does what it says on the tin - even managed were well todays strong winds

Follow - works quite good as well - however it seems like there is a significant delay detecting the movement, especially when taking smaller turns - but generally very well

Orbit - works very well again - but seems to have difficulties keeping up when object is in motion to keep the object in focus - especially while walking unpredictable paths it seems to have it difficulties not sure how frequent the update polling of the device/center is - might need quicker polling - seems to work better counterclockwise than clockwise

Zip line - works fine but seems to have slight difficulties with angled climb outs (point a 10m - point b 45m) - seemed a bit to struggle when needing to counteract winds

Mimic - I think this is the most difficult - though it seems to work just fine I believe you need to be able to set an angle offset if you were using the tablet on the remote - otherwise it will receive backward elevator and I would think this isnt too difficult to implement - apart from that worked very well

unfortunately I didnt get a chance to test the intercept mode ...

another improvement to the app that I would prefer is offline cached maps - go to location or even prepare in advance - cache the required maps and when onsite no need for 3/4G to reduce possible interference or lag due to bad cell coverage - same applies to a local option of the flight school or tutorials - in app or via in app .pdf option

with regards to stability though - I had a few app crashes when switching control modes

I used the latest version (25) which I have installed this morning on iPad Mini2/iOS 8.4

I just walked the dog while the I1 followed us :) it really feels like having a flying robot around.
This is a lot of fun and I'm starting to see all kinds of possibilities for use. It just took a while to trust my bird entirely to an app. Only a mental thing. I'm over that now.
To prove that, tomorrow I'll try follow mode and orbit mode from my console boat, at various speeds. Can't wait!

One thing:
you can change distance and altitude settings instantly while flying, great.
However, I don't like the sliders in that respect. They are too picky. I wanted to change from 15 to 20 meters (just trying it out) and it jumped to 40 meters (I blame my thick fingers), sending my bird instantly at high speed in the direction and close proximity of my neighbours wall. It felt like I only just managed to flip the switch and disengage quickly enough, although there was still plenty of room left....but still scary, my heart skipped a beat or two.

I would like to suggest (if at all possible) to change the sliders to wheels with a virtual gear ratio of 1:2. That way, very precise real time adjustments can be made, much safer in my view.

And another:
Could the flight log from DJI Pilot somehow be updated with the AutoPilot flights? As it is now, we loose flight history every time we're not using DJI Pilot.

However, I don't like the sliders in that respect. They are too picky. I wanted to change from 15 to 20 meters (just trying it out) and it jumped to 40 meters (I blame my thick fingers), sending my bird instantly at high speed in the direction and close proximity of my neighbours wall.
Did you see the + and - buttons on each end of the slider? These can be used to add or subtract 1 meter (or 1 foot if Imperial units is selected).

Could the flight log from DJI Pilot somehow be updated with the AutoPilot flights? As it is now, we loose flight history every time we're not using DJI Pilot.
We will ask DJI about that, but my guess is the SDK doesn't support it.

Did you see the + and - buttons on each end of the slider? These can be used to add or subtract 1 meter (or 1 foot if Imperial units is selected)..
I suppose that would work better. However, on my ipad the + on the distance slider does nothing when I tap it. The - works. On the altitude slider both buttons work as they should.

Last edited:
I suppose that would work better. However, on my ipad the + on the distance slider does nothing when I tap it. The - works. On the altitude slider both buttons work as they should.
In all modes, basic to advanced, some + buttons just don't work. Unless it's my pad.

In all modes, basic to advanced, some + buttons just don't work. Unless it's my pad.
Can you say which ones specifically? They all use the same code so it is hard to believe. Are you sure you haven't reached the end of the range? The buttons grey out and become disabled if you are already at the min or max value.

Can you say which ones specifically? They all use the same code so it is hard to believe. Are you sure you haven't reached the end of the range? The buttons grey out and become disabled if you are already at the min or max value.

In Follow and Orbit, the distance slider + button does nothing in any mode.
At least on my 2 ipads.

Tried it yourself on your ipad?

I just tested orbit again today. I could not get the camera to stay where I wanted it on the vertical plane. It kept going up. I had to hold the roll button down to keep it focused. Is something set wrong? height was 100 feet. Distance was around 350.

This video is in two parts. The first is zip line. Why does it swirl at the first and move the camera around. Also, on zip line. It doesn't gain altitude from 26 feet to 250 feet in a linear way. you can see it stair steps.

The second part of the video shows how the orbit does not keep center POI. (center was selected over the title on the building) It's off to the left of the CCW rotation. And I find this a problem with orbit. The center wont stay in the middle third of the video. I set the phantom over my POI and set aircraft as the center and then executed.

Also watch the camera bob up and down. That's me trying to lower the camera. It won't stay down, it pops back up. During the later part of the orbit, the video is down but I'm holding the rotating camera button constantly down to maintain. Why is this?

As you can see, the title on the building, which I selected as center POI, is not in the center of the frames. It's off to the left. And this has been my experience with orbit. It does not keep center where I select it to be. And it also waves. Don't know how to explain it but it's not smooth. It goes, the camera corrects and then it moves again. Camera seems to lag behind. Let me know if there are settings I need to change.

Last edited:
I just tested orbit again today. I could not get the camera to stay where I wanted it on the vertical plane. It kept going up. I had to hold the roll button down to keep it focused. Is something set wrong? height was 100 feet. Distance was around 350.

This video is in two parts. The first is zip line. Why does it swirl at the first and move the camera around. Also, on zip line. It doesn't gain altitude from 26 feet to 250 feet in a linear way. you can see it stair steps.

The second part of the video shows how the orbit does not keep center POI. (center was selected over the title on the building) It's off to the left of the CCW rotation. And I find this a problem with orbit. The center wont stay in the middle third of the video. I set the phantom over my POI and set aircraft as the center and then executed.

Also watch the camera bob up and down. That's me trying to lower the camera. It won't stay down, it pops back up. During the later part of the orbit, the video is down but I'm holding the rotating camera button constantly down to maintain. Why is this?

As you can see, the title on the building, which I selected as center POI, is not in the center of the frames. It's off to the left. And this has been my experience with orbit. It does not keep center where I select it to be. And it also waves. Don't know how to explain it but it's not smooth. It goes, the camera corrects and then it moves again. Camera seems to lag behind. Let me know if there are settings I need to change.

The video is private, can't play it.

Can you say which ones specifically? They all use the same code so it is hard to believe.
Oh, I thought I had dreamed yesterday but if someone else has the issue... let me check.

Yep. Follow mode, set advanced, Leader: operator/course, the + button at the right of the Distance slider won't work when in landscape orientation. Same in Intercept.

I think the exact bug description is "when 2 sliders happen to be placed side by side in landscape mode the + button of the right one doesn't work".

Reactions: James Munro
Yes, same for the iPhone... they work in portrait but the far right + button stops working when rotated to landscape.

I just tested orbit again today. I could not get the camera to stay where I wanted it on the vertical plane.
Please email the flight telemetry logs to support.

Yes, same for the iPhone... they work in portrait but the far right + button stops working when rotated to landscape.
Found the issue. When the interface switches to 2-up controls (side by side), it happens. Thanks for finding the bug - I believe this is the first real bug that has been found. Kudos to lake_flyer.

Reactions: lake_flyer
Reporting a flyaway on my 28th orbit flight. Set all parameters including altitude of 190 feet to clear trees around me by a large margin which I've tested in previous flights. Orbit radius of 2500 feet the largest I've done, but not by much, and well within Inspire range. Engaged and watched aircraft go to target on the map. Map continued to show image of drone but screen went to black and white image of last transmission from drone and light turned red on RC. I expected the drone to return to it's starting point, but it's gone. With a radius of 2500 feet around center of orbit, I'm not even sure where to start looking. There's clearly risk to this new tool.Flight logs recovered and sent to AF support mailbox.

Last edited:
Successful flights here, I haven't tried Follow yet as there's way too many hills and mountains where I was testing. The firmware required seems to be good too. Similar to the old .17 toilet bowling included but have yet to have any of the old "compass error" dropping back into atti which I experienced quite a few times. Loving it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainfraktured