Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

If I remember correctly testflight users can install the app on up to 10 devices. Some of the beta testers might share their testflight account details if they have some more devices left under their account. Could get a few more testers :)

One tip:

If you go into DJI GO after your Autopilot session, you can download your Autopilot video's to your device and have some fun (if you like) with the Director and sharing stuff, or just to get a quick idea of the results, while still in the field. Downloading takes some time though, during which you have the good opportunity to review the flight have the after flight beers and sigs and whatever.

At least you have a backup (up to 1080p) in case the SD gets corrupted after removal, like mine did last week.

One tip:

If you go into DJI GO after your Autopilot session, you can download your Autopilot video's to your device and have some fun (if you like) with the Director and sharing stuff, or just to get a quick idea of the results, while still in the field. Downloading takes some time though, during which you have the good opportunity to review the flight have the after flight beers and sigs and whatever.

At least you have a backup (up to 1080p) in case the SD gets corrupted after removal, like mine did last week.
Would you mind oulining the process of getting the vids to dji go.

Is there any way to pit the flight logs into the DJi go app too?

Press the play button in the camera view screen. In the left bottom corner click on the icon and you see the clips you shot. There you can choose to download.
Unfortunately the function doesn't work as it should because of the Beta firmware were on. But once the official sdk firmware is out, we should be able to use it to full extend. I find Go to be unstable with the beta firmware.......

Jim, would it be possible to make the map available without the settings in the way in all modes (orbit,follow,focus etc...) i am using an iphone 6 and when going into a mode i scroll the map sometimes even though i am aiming for the settings...
i am thinking of a scroll down menu or similar to distingush one from the other but still have fast access... that is in landscape, not in portrait.
if the upper part could be put away or the buttons be on the map halfway seethrough but selectable that would make things (for me) easier since i have all on one look and when in zipline for eg. i can drag my point and choose the settings without having to leave the screen and then go to my dashboard...

similar to the inspire forum when you use it on your phone in landscape and write a comment the top scrolls up for you to see the box where you write in...

for the drag and drop of the points in orbit mode for instance the mark is xactly under my finger and i can not really make out what i have marked... is or will there be a way where you maybe make a line or a "hover" point next to the marker so i /one can see where he/she is putting it... (i am thinking of an icon like there is already but when you tap on it and it lifts you have a point with a line a bit shifted to the marker so you can see where you put it and when you let go it goes to th point the other end was that you chose)...

just a thought, i don't want to make sound like a "i want to have please" out of it because i do not know if it is possible and if yes how many months you will have to program what i am thinking of... if it is, great if you can make it, double great :)

i hope my jibberish is understandable...
cheers

Last edited:
So is it OK to run the new DJI Go with our beta firmware? It seems to work fine but just thought I would ask.
I know now that I wished I still had DJI Pilot......sigh. It looks like I'm stuck with the sudden crashes, camera not starting (have to run Autopilot first to get the camera awake, close that, start Go, do the checks. calibrations, settings, exit Go and start Autopilot again, only to find out that I missed a setting, shut down Autopilot, start up Go, do whatever is needed, shut down, etc.....

The workflow is very inefficient, unless you follow a very tight checklist for the camera settings, apart from the usual checklists. But while flying, you need to be able to change camera settings, even from manual to auto, colour settings, white balance, because the situation changes. I'm used to see the histogram, and sometimes I want to switch overexposure warning on or off. I want to be able to use the spot metering like in Go (with the finger press on the subject), for when I'm shooting in auto exposure. I want to lock exposure when needed, etc.....If I decide to shoot photos, while filming, I want to have full manual control and be creative with the settings.

Now IF Go would work flawlessly it would be, well, somewhat workable, maybe. But switching in and out Go right now, makes things very unstable, I had to reboot my iPad regularly. During all that rebooting and app switching, hanging, time I have no info, while the bird flies over water, still flying it's program autonomously. I don't want to disengage because that stops the camera and ruins the shot all together. But for safety reasons I do it anyway, naturally.

But even disengaged, hovering above water, only LOS, no telemetry, not good. I want to bring it in and land it immediately when that happens. No happy flying that way.

Even with the new official firmware, Go is not stable so I read from various forum members.
With Pilot it was pretty solid and switching in and out if apps was never a problem, although I still don't like it.

I can only hope we can get an app with all these nice features, including all the basic setting and calibration stuff that Go offers, all in one interface. The need to switch in and out of apps on a smartphone or tablet is a bit of a turn off for me, to be honest.

Only the gimbal reset still doesn't work. It did only one time out of the more than 10 times I tried the same sequence I mentioned before in earlier posts.
We are going to add a gimbal reset button to the next build to see if that works for you.

Jim, would it be possible to make the map available without the settings in the way in all modes (orbit,follow,focus etc...) i am using an iphone 6 and when going into a mode i scroll the map sometimes even though i am aiming for the settings...
The app is set to leave 200 points of screen at the top of the map as the area to tap and drag on to get back to the settings. We are open to changing this around, in addition to the other points you have about dragging the map markers, but it may have to be a 2.1 thing.

I can only hope we can get an app with all these nice features, including all the basic setting and calibration stuff that Go offers, all in one interface. The need to switch in and out of apps on a smartphone or tablet is a bit of a turn off for me, to be honest.
At the end of the day we are committed to getting to this stuff, it is just a question of getting something out that people can buy now (which satisfies 80-90% of use cases), vs delaying the release for more pro-level stuff like fine grained camera adjustments. At some point we have to just release it and then keep doing revisions to add the 10-20% use-case stuff.

Any likely release dates for autopilot 2? Or is the DJI sdk release still the limiting factor?

Build 28 is out, will get out tomorrow and test it, good work Guys :)
I noticed in Build #26 you could use the sticks to manually maneuver the gimbal independently of the craft. Can't seem to do it in Build 27. Is it no longer there or am I missing a step or two?
Thanks,
Chip

Any likely release dates for autopilot 2? Or is the DJI sdk release still the limiting factor?
Still waiting on DJI to release the SDK.

I noticed in Build #26 you could use the sticks to manually maneuver the gimbal independently of the craft. Can't seem to do it in Build 27. Is it no longer there or am I missing a step or two?
Thanks,
Chip
It is still there. You need to select Intermediate or Advanced, and then Focus Strategy Joystick.

Reactions: damoncooper
A few ideas for future updates:

- Preview Mode: preview the engage sequence and flight using maps (or Google Earth would be sweet, adding an FPV preview option).

- Option (on by default) to keep input parameters within smooth cinematic limits, preventing for example, stair stepping in Zip Line mode etc.

- Tighter integration with DJI GO (mostly in DJI's court) but akin to the launching of FaceBook Messenger from the main FB iOS app and back with a button

- Ability to create & share flight macros with other pilots. A super smooth rising corkscrew around a POI for example, or other sweet moves. Social media integration could be good here too. (And good for raising awareness of the app)

- Flight Trainer Mode: guides during flight (aka glide scope overlay on camera view and flight guideline in map view) to help pilots hone their skills and learn to do perfect moves like autopilot does

- Cinematic Trainer Mode - as above but for camera operation to help train camera operators with live camera movement guides on how to execute the best shots

A few ideas for future updates:

- Preview Mode: preview the engage sequence and flight using maps (or Google Earth would be sweet, adding an FPV preview option).

- Option (on by default) to keep input parameters within smooth cinematic limits, preventing for example, stair stepping in Zip Line mode etc.

- Tighter integration with DJI GO (mostly in DJI's court) but akin to the launching of FaceBook Messenger from the main FB iOS app and back with a button

- Ability to create & share flight macros with other pilots. A super smooth rising corkscrew around a POI for example, or other sweet moves. Social media integration could be good here too. (And good for raising awareness of the app)

- Flight Trainer Mode: guides during flight (aka glide scope overlay on camera view and flight guideline in map view) to help pilots hone their skills and learn to do perfect moves like autopilot does

- Cinematic Trainer Mode - as above but for camera operation to help train camera operators with live camera movement guides on how to execute the best shots
I have some other ideas: How about a lite version and a full version?
Lite version without all the social media crap and without the editing stuff.Just an app for flying and controlling the camera and Inspire.
Full version everything you just mentioned.

Oh man am I kicking myself for updating everything with the new firmware. Please please please DJI, help a brother out! I was hopeful to be able to roll back to SDK but no go. Glad I didn't brick it trying. It makes some strange sounds.

Fast descent when changing altitude in Orbit Mode? The descent is vey harsh if the altitude is changed whilst flying in orbit mode. Is the any way to make it descend more gently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow DJI is really dragging their feet on SDK release. To a non beta tester waiting in the wings, Autopilot 2 seems so close and yet so far. I Bought P3P one month ago. Still on original 1.1.9 firmware and it works well. Therefore can still beta test autopilot 2 but no slot left. Don't won't to upgrade to DJI 1.3.2 firmware 'just in case'. Kinda stuck. Come on DJI. Come on Autopilot. Let's make the autopilot 2 release happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu