Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Playing with Cruise, I have a couple questions...

1) Can the hard deck/minimum altitude be lowered? It seems to be about 23 feet. If I can adjust that, where's the setting?
2) Using joystick mode for altitude, the rate of climb (I didn't try decent) is must slower compared to using the GO app. Max stick up is much slower in cruise mode. Sorry, I don't have specific numbers for you. Is this climb rate adjustable?

Thanks!

Sounds pretty cool. I assume this will also give us the capability to have someone carrying a smartphone to be the follow target?
Yes, this is one of the many use cases that will become possible.

Can the hard deck/minimum altitude be lowered? It seems to be about 23 feet. If I can adjust that, where's the setting?
Minimum Altitude Movement Parameter

Using joystick mode for altitude, the rate of climb (I didn't try decent) is must slower compared to using the GO app. Max stick up is much slower in cruise mode. Sorry, I don't have specific numbers for you. Is this climb rate adjustable?
When you put the stick all the way up, we just ask the SDK to apply maximum up thrust, so it sounds like it may be an SDK limitation. We will ask DJI.

Reactions: Joel Zieve
With features like Airspace and Waypoint Mode on the horizon, we want to make another big announcement about Autopilot relative to pricing.

The TLDR version
No more in-app upgrades and base price increasing to $29.99.

The full explanation
As many of you know, Autopilot is currently priced at $19.99 with five additional Modes offered as in-app upgrades for $4.99 each, for a total of $44.94. We chose to price Autopilot in this way because we are a software start-up without the ability to offset the cost of developing new features by making margins on hardware sales, and we wanted to ensure that new feature development would be sustainable.

We realize there are several downsides to this pricing model, such as:
  • It can create a barrier to entry on using some of the best features of Autopilot, and in the end we want the maximum amount of people to be able to enjoy the best of what Autopilot has to offer
  • It can create a sense that we are trying to nickel-and-dime, or even mislead users - neither of which are true, but the perception may still be there
  • The actual in-app purchase workflow can be annoying, especially if you bought the app intending to buy all the in-app upgrades from the start or you are attempting to activate a mode in the field when you don’t have an internet connection
Having said that, it is worth noting that in the same way we listen to the community and implement new features based on feedback, we are willing to listen to feedback on pricing and make changes when appropriate. Additionally, we now have two quarters of revenue history to inform our decision, which greatly increases our confidence in making a pricing change that is both beneficial to the community, and sustainable* for us.

Here is the new plan:
  • Airspace and Waypoint were originally going to cost $9.99 each, bringing the all-in cost of Autopilot to $64.92. Instead we are going to offer both of these features for free.
  • All existing in-app upgrades will go away and every feature in Autopilot will be included with a purchase of the base app.
  • The base price of the app will increase to $29.99 (less than half of the $64.92 listed above)
We believe there are many benefits to this new plan, with the two most important being:
  • It allows us to thank our existing users for believing in Autopilot and being early adopters (you don’t have to pay anything more to get the latest features)
  • It negates all of the downsides listed above with the in-app upgrades
* On the sustainability of the new plan: we have noticed that new sales of Autopilot continue at a steady pace, in large part due to the community spreading the word (and we thank you for that), and also because DJI continues to sell new hardware. As long as both of these conditions continue, we feel comfortable that sales from new users will offset our ongoing R&D costs and we want existing users to receive the benefit of that.

For all of this functionality, and the service you provide, this is a great price! Thanks for taking care of your existing customers by offering all future upgrades at no extra charge.

With features like Airspace and Waypoint Mode on the horizon, we want to make another big announcement about Autopilot relative to pricing.

The TLDR version

The TLDR version

When is the new pricing model becoming effective?
If I have an existing basic package with no in app purchases, what will happen when the new pricing model starts?
Thanks.

The TLDR version

The full explanation
As many of you know, Autopilot is currently priced at $19.99 with five additional Modes offered as in-app upgrades for $4.99 each, for a total of $44.94. We chose to price Autopilot in this way because we are a software start-up without the ability to offset the cost of developing new features by making margins on hardware sales, and we wanted to ensure that new feature development would be sustainable.

We realize there are several downsides to this pricing model, such as:
  • It can create a barrier to entry on using some of the best features of Autopilot, and in the end we want the maximum amount of people to be able to enjoy the best of what Autopilot has to offer
  • It can create a sense that we are trying to nickel-and-dime, or even mislead users - neither of which are true, but the perception may still be there
  • The actual in-app purchase workflow can be annoying, especially if you bought the app intending to buy all the in-app upgrades from the start or you are attempting to activate a mode in the field when you don’t have an internet connection
Having said that, it is worth noting that in the same way we listen to the community and implement new features based on feedback, we are willing to listen to feedback on pricing and make changes when appropriate. Additionally, we now have two quarters of revenue history to inform our decision, which greatly increases our confidence in making a pricing change that is both beneficial to the community, and sustainable* for us.

Here is the new plan:
  • Airspace and Waypoint were originally going to cost $9.99 each, bringing the all-in cost of Autopilot to $64.92. Instead we are going to offer both of these features for free.
  • All existing in-app upgrades will go away and every feature in Autopilot will be included with a purchase of the base app.
  • The base price of the app will increase to $29.99 (less than half of the $64.92 listed above)
We believe there are many benefits to this new plan, with the two most important being:
  • It allows us to thank our existing users for believing in Autopilot and being early adopters (you don’t have to pay anything more to get the latest features)
  • It negates all of the downsides listed above with the in-app upgrades
* On the sustainability of the new plan: we have noticed that new sales of Autopilot continue at a steady pace, in large part due to the community spreading the word (and we thank you for that), and also because DJI continues to sell new hardware. As long as both of these conditions continue, we feel comfortable that sales from new users will offset our ongoing R&D costs and we want existing users to receive the benefit of that.
I wish DJI would adopt your stance on customer appreciation/retention.

Reactions: 1vertol
Great to see things moving forward so well. I finally got to trying out the app yesterday. I've got an Inspire 1 (1.4 firmware) with an Ipad Air2 (IOS 9.1) all running the latest firmware revisions.

I did 2.5 hours of testing including the focus mode, follow, orbit, target and zip line. All worked very well - just need a little practice to et the best out of it. I'll try cruise next time and I'm looking forward to the new Airspace.

Keep up the great work guys!

2.2 beta is about to drop. Here is the full changelog.
Note: Google Maps and Saved Flight Plans are still slated for 2.2, but we want to get the beta started now.

Hi, with airspace, what is the max distance in peer-to-peer mode?

any tips on how to get game center mode working? I can't find the iphone from the ipad (both devices logged onto gamecenter under the same apple ID- do they need different apple ID/gamecenter nickname?)

Hi, with airspace, what is the max distance in peer-to-peer mode?
It is the range of an ad-hoc wifi network between the two devices.

any tips on how to get game center mode working? I can't find the iphone from the ipad (both devices logged onto gamecenter under the same apple ID- do they need different apple ID/gamecenter nickname?)
It has to be separate Apple IDs, and our testing shows that it doesn't find nearby devices so you have to be "friends" first. When you combine this with the disconnect issue, we are probably going to have to pull the game center functionality and just go peer to peer until we can get our own server implemented (not for v2.2).

It is the range of an ad-hoc wifi network between the two devices.

It has to be separate Apple IDs, and our testing shows that it doesn't find nearby devices so you have to be "friends" first. When you combine this with the disconnect issue, we are probably going to have to pull the game center functionality and just go peer to peer until we can get our own server implemented (not for v2.2).
yes, separate id worked for me - it's too bad game center doesn't work well... great idea.. ad hoc would be rather distant-limited for follow-me
'

yes, separate id worked for me - it's too bad game center doesn't work well... great idea.. ad hoc would be rather distant-limited for follow-me
'
Did it disconnect after a certain amount of time?

Finally have my second Inspire to start using AutoFlight. Didn't want to update firmware on older Inspire or to new Go App. Should I install the previous SDK FW as suggested here a while back or the newest DJI FW?
Production firmware is fine.

I did test Airspace today. Works nice, had a lot of fun.
What does CALIBRATE mean after connected?

I did test Airspace today. Works nice, had a lot of fun.
What does CALIBRATE mean after connected?
When you select an airspace object to follow or focus on, it needs to know the altitude. By default it assumes it is at ground level, but if the airspace object can change altitude and not be at ground level, you need to calibrate the altitude with your aircraft's altitude so Autopilot knows the relative altitude for all the trigonometry to work.

I have question about Mimic mode.
Always when I engage mimic Inspire flies away and I have to switch to P. I am not able to find "center" position. What am I doing wrong?

I am used to use the DJI app and Autopilot Telemetry is quite small font and for me sometimes difficult to find the right detail. Is it possible to choose set of your own telemetry details and make it larger?

I have question about Mimic mode.
Always when I engage mimic Inspire flies away and I have to switch to P. I am not able to find "center" position. What am I doing wrong?
You have to hold the device flat (back to the ground).

I am used to use the DJI app and Autopilot Telemetry is quite small font and for me sometimes difficult to find the right detail. Is it possible to choose set of your own telemetry details and make it larger?
You can change the level of detail in the settings, but not which items show up in each detail level. The only way to make the font larger right now would be to change your system font size.

We are about to release the next beta build including saved Flight Plans. You can save Flight Plans on your device (locally), or register an account with us (free, only requires a valid email address) and sync Flight Plans between devices. Enjoy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour