Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this battery, I wonder if it meets the specifications for coplar in TB48.

Capacity: 5200mAh
Configuration: 6S1P / 22.2V / 6Celulas
Constant discharge: 10C
Peak descargaDischarge (10sec): 20C
Weight: 643g
Size: 142 x 49 x 43mm
bateria-lipo-5200mah-6s-222v-multistar-drone-dji-hexa-5000-752311-MLB20514547700_122015-O.jpg

What do you think?

Hey damon, I haven't read the full thread, but I look back at your 30 minute picture. It says 97% does the Inspire know when to return to home/land due to low battery? How does it know the capacity?

Other than the battery mod, do you have to do something with the inspire? how do you mount the plate to the inspire?

Also how does it handle with the big *** batteries flying wise.

Thanks man - congrats on your 30 mins!

The aircraft only knows about the main battery and it's voltage and temp. What it sees is a battery that is draining curiously slowly but otherwise shrugs it off. The strain on the main battery is vastly reduced since the aux batteries are helping supply the needed current.

When the main (remember the internal sensors are inside the main DJI battery, not on the total parallel virtual battery) gets to a voltage level that sets the low voltage alarm off, the aircraft acts accordingly. It's as if the external batteries aren't there. So the % main battery level is what the aircraft sees for voltage meter, not the "virtual" battery made up of main + aux batteries.

Translation: the aux batteries only help, never hurt. Kinda like Googles mantra "do no evil". But that's another story.

No mod is made to the Inspire. No aircraft were harmed in the making of this thread :). It's just a battery mod. Pop in an unmodified battery any time and Frank Wang himself wouldn't know anything is different.

Handling wise, it's a bit more sedate but you don't want to strap a "big *** battery" under the Inspire. Just some helpers of the just right variety in terms of C, capacity and weight. I've spent upward of $1000 in lipos to find the sweet spot for an X3-toting rig and it's all documented in this thread. But I'll save you the 4 months and $1,000 bill to find out: it's 2 X 2700 ThunderPower 6S 25C's weighing in at 351g each. Best so far anyway, >30 min flight time to 10%. Still going to try a few more but that's a very nice combo.

Go too big and heavy (I've tried it all, including dual-TB48's, dual-TB47's, etc etc) and you just end up with a big fat heavy bird that flies like a drunken cow.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the delay responding, gotta keep my day job to pay for the experiments :)

Reactions: Vincentlub
I just attached a single 37000mah Aux Battery to the bottom, with one lead to my Inspire battery, got around 25 minutes with X3, but tested my battery EOS Sentry 3 and said it still had 30% left. Has anyone tried connecting the negative lead in the battery before the circuit board? Has anyone successfully drained a single battery setup uniformly?

Scared the Fukuoka out of me there..I didn't know if that was a typo or if you really strapped a 37,000mah battery to the inspire! That would weigh about 30lbs, which would be a very bad idea. :)

Yeah with a low C aux battery you will end up with something like 30% unused in the aux with 10% in main. It's wasteful as they don't drain efficiently, and the DJI battery logic seems to get in the way somehow. It's why two TB4X don't work worth a poop, only small increase in flight time and a disproportionate % of unused power left in the aux battery.

Try a higher C aux, (20C-25C minimum) with a more closely matched capacity with the main for more flight time. But watch the weight.

Last edited:
I found this battery, I wonder if it meets the specifications for coplar in TB48.

Capacity: 5200mAh
Configuration: 6S1P / 22.2V / 6Celulas
Constant discharge: 10C
Peak descargaDischarge (10sec): 20C
Weight: 643g
Size: 142 x 49 x 43mm
bateria-lipo-5200mah-6s-222v-multistar-drone-dji-hexa-5000-752311-MLB20514547700_122015-O.jpg

What do you think?

See my note above on using low C externals. I've given up on the Multistar and DJI's since they leave too much power on the table and are very inefficient.

The aircraft only knows about the main battery and it's voltage and temp. What it sees is a battery that is draining curiously slowly but otherwise shrugs it off. The strain on the main battery is vastly reduced since the aux batteries are helping supply the needed current.

When the main (remember the internal sensors are inside the main DJI battery, not on the total parallel virtual battery) gets to a voltage level that sets the low voltage alarm off, the aircraft acts accordingly. It's as if the external batteries aren't there. So the % main battery level is what the aircraft sees for voltage meter, not the "virtual" battery made up of main + aux batteries.

Translation: the aux batteries only help, never hurt. Kinda like Googles mantra "do no evil". But that's another story.

No mod is made to the Inspire. No aircraft were harmed in the making of this thread :). It's just a battery mod. Pop in an unmodified battery any time and Frank Wang himself wouldn't know anything is different.

Handling wise, it's a bit more sedate but you don't want to strap a "big *** battery" under the Inspire. Just some helpers of the just right variety in terms of C, capacity and weight. I've spent upward of $1000 in lipos to find the sweet spot for an X3-toting rig and it's all documented in this thread. But I'll save you the 4 months and $1,000 bill to find out: it's 2 X 2700 ThunderPower 6S 25C's weighing in at 351g each. Best so far anyway, >30 min flight time to 10%. Still going to try a few more but that's a very nice combo.

Go too big and heavy (I've tried it all, including dual-TB48's, dual-TB47's, etc etc) and you just end up with a big fat heavy bird that flies like a drunken cow.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the delay responding, gotta keep my day job to pay for the experiments :)

Hey damo thanks for that - if the inspire only knows about the main battery, do the other batteries get depleted first then the main. Is it possible the aux batteries will run out of juice and become dangerously low that it ruins the aux batteries?

Hey damo thanks for that - if the inspire only knows about the main battery, do the other batteries get depleted first then the main. Is it possible the aux batteries will run out of juice and become dangerously low that it ruins the aux batteries?

They drain together so yes if capacities aren't roughly matched you can end up depleting externals to empty.

So the soldering on the battery connects the + and - wires to connectors of your choice (I use XT60) out side the main battery.

Then the extra LiPo's connect to the connectors coming from the DJI battery you added. Hope that helps.

Ask away, we're friendlies here :)

View attachment 5958
Thank you Damon for your clerafication . So I have to connect 4 wires (2 positives and 2 negatives comes from the 2700's to the charg bus inside the inspire bat, tell me please if it's right. In final will be 3 wires come out from each connection in the inspire bat?

Thank you Damon for your clerafication . So I have to connect 4 wires (2 positives and 2 negatives comes from the 2700's to the charg bus inside the inspire bat, tell me please if it's right. In final will be 3 wires come out from each connection in the inspire bat?

Two out each side. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454156124.748961.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454156296.471856.jpg

Well, I think it showed me, I am very inexperienced on the subject, I apologize and correct me if I'm wrong, but my intention is to put an extra load 1.354g made a spreadsheet for flight time prediction, but I am concerned about this extra charge.

Capacity
: 3000mAh
Voltage: 6S1P / 6 Cell / 22.2V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst
Weight: 447g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 153x46x35mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH (Need Change to XT60)
Discharge Plug: 4mm bullet-connector

turnigy-nano-tech-3000mah-6s-2550c-lipo-pack-bateria-13897-MLB2902046172_072012-O.jpg

And once A6000 Sony and lens, weighing in at 460g

Total payload ~ 1.354g

upload_2016-1-30_12-7-33.png

Well, I think it showed me, I am very inexperienced on the subject, I apologize and correct me if I'm wrong, but my intention is to put an extra load 1.354g made a spreadsheet for flight time prediction, but I am concerned about this extra charge.

Capacity
: 3000mAh
Voltage: 6S1P / 6 Cell / 22.2V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 50C Burst
Weight: 447g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 153x46x35mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH (Need Change to XT60)
Discharge Plug: 4mm bullet-connector

turnigy-nano-tech-3000mah-6s-2550c-lipo-pack-bateria-13897-MLB2902046172_072012-O.jpg

And once A6000 Sony and lens, weighing in at 460g

Total payload ~ 1.354g

View attachment 6063

I think that all looks reasonable. 1.3kg is but on the heavy side. There are lighter batteries in the 3000mah range, but those seem reasonable.

Let me also say hats off to you for putting together a tracking sheet and working on a prediction model. Welcome to the edge! It's fun here, you'll learn a lot and the reward for persistence can be finding the perfect sweet spot for your particular rig.

Please keep us posted on your results!

I'm aiming to test a set of 2800's today that Richard Adelburg loaned me. I'll post results back here when complete.

Thanks, but I see from picture that 3 black wire comes from one point this ok, but the reds are not connected to the same poin am I right ?
You are also seeing the red and black wires of the actual battery. When you open the battery you will see the Positive and Negative larger are of the battery that has been soldered at the factory. You can add the positive and negative to the required areas. I only used one set of positive and negative and use a Y spliter for the batteries that are connected to the main battery. I took that photo to show you what your seeing. The yellow are the extra XT60 connectors that come out of the battery to add the extra packs. The orange are from the factory and connect the battery to the cells of the battery. They are in the photo, but only to show you the area you must solder the Pos and negative to.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454156296.471856.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454156296.471856.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: slim.slamma
Link not working for me, but that sounds about right. X3 or X5? Like I said the low c Multistars and DJI batteries leave close to 35% on the table with main down to 10%.

with x5 damon

will have to work on posting vids but of flying now

Thanks, but I see from picture that 3 black wire comes from one point this ok, but the reds are not connected to the same poin am I right ?

This is from the How To PDF posted on page 1 of this thread. Hopefully this will help.

Note: if you are connecting one 6S or two 3S's (via series harness), you only need one set of wires coming out of the battery.

If connecting two 6S's (my personal preference due to the Inspire's unique design and the ability to more easily mount and balance them), you can plug one in on either side of the modified battery OR connect the 2 X 6S external batteries via parallel harness first, then plug into one side of the modified battery.

Hope that helps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454165426.671680.jpg

Note I've updated the main page if this thread with some info. Please review and let me know if I should add anything else there.

Scared the Fukuoka out of me there..I didn't know if that was a typo or if you really strapped a 37,000mah battery to the inspire! That would weigh about 30lbs, which would be a very bad idea. :)

Yeah with a low C aux battery you will end up with something like 30% unused in the aux with 10% in main. It's wasteful as they don't drain efficiently, and the DJI battery logic seems to get in the way somehow. It's why two TB4X don't work worth a poop, only small increase in flight time and a disproportionate % of unused power left in the aux battery.

Try a higher C aux, (20C-25C minimum) with a more closely matched capacity with the main for more flight time. But watch the weight.

I corrected that, 3700. MaxAmps says True 100C rating, I think I'm going to go with the two Thunder Powers like you have done. Thank you for all the research you have done, so far spent $200 on this battery which still works, not as good as your setup though.

Reactions: damoncooper
Ok upping the ante!

I've decided to go for the gold and try the Thunder Power LiHV's. Special charger required. This ain't cheap. But let's see if it gets me towards 35mins flight time....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454171398.754148.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454170297.246708.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu