Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 just for hobby?

SSD's? Not unless you buy the ProRes or raw video licenses.

Hobby flying... Inspire 2, x4s, enough battery pairs for however long you want to fly for, a couple of microSD cards and you're set. You don't even need buy spare props as there are two full sets included right out of the box :)

Maybe add a tablet screen sunshade, and a landing pad to keep everything tidy and stop mud/dust/plants getting sucked in & blasted around at take off or landing.

Then if you really like it & get the bug... then buy the x5s and a couple of extra lenses.

I'd say it depends on what your hobby is...if you just like flying and don't care about filming, there may be other models that suit your needs and are cheaper, but if your hobby is aerial video then I think the I2 is a great option if you can afford it.

The X4S camera is also fine to start with, but if you don't want interchangeable lenses, RAW/ProRes, etc. then you may want to check out the Phantom 4 Pro and other models to see if they do what you want for a lot less money.

I much prefer the I2/X5S with a range of lenses, SSD, second controller, etc. shooting in ProRes and RAW, but if that's not you then I wouldn't necessarily start with the I2.

+1 for the above comments from the other forum members. The interchangeable lens option on the Inspire 2 is going to be something that you will find the most interesting - especially compared to shooting very wide angle for all your shots with the X4S. If you are considering it for purely a flying hobby that is one thing, but if you also enjoy photography you may end up thinking real hard about the X5S. We can even do it with no lens to save you about $500 and then you can pick the lenses that are best for you.

If you are buying it because you just want to spend time in the air flying, Shawn is correct that you could also consider the P4 Pro or P4 Pro+ - or even the P4 Advanced (which eliminates a few of the obstacle avoidance sensors).

If you want to chat about some possible options and combos, please let me know. We would love to assist you picking out your flying platform and camera. Flight time, battery investment and the ability to fly as a 2 person team would also be some things we would want to talk to you about.

Thanks!

Michael

Reactions: deltalimatango
Thanks everyone for the input. I already have the P4P and a Mavic and am hooked on the hobby. Was just looking to go a step up....

If you want to go a step up in a big way, get the X5S and the ProRes plus an SSD. Your videos will be amazing and the editing is much easier than RAW. There is a learning curve. Once you learn how to do it you might be able to sell some of your videos once you get the Remote Pilot Cert and help pay for your equipment. Some of us started off as a hobby, and now make money after we turned our hobby into a small business. We have lots of choices.

Once you learn how to do it you might be able to sell some of your videos once you get the Remote Pilot Cert and help pay for your equipment. Some of us started off as a hobby, and now make money after we turned our hobby into a small business. We have lots of choices.

Also just like SanCap mentioned above, some of us started off as a hobby and now make money on as a small business.

YES, no ifs and or butts.You have a choice of several supported lenses that help to make your videos stand out using different lenses for different scenes you want to capture.

It's also worth mentioning that it has a larger sensor which is better in low light, it has a bit higher dynamic range and it's a requirement for using an SSD to shoot RAW and ProRes which are far superior formats for serious work, although I don't know how much any of that matters to the OP.

I know plenty of folks with Inspire 1's and 2's that are using their aircrafts for hobby enjoyment. I am definitely going to recommend the X5S over the X4S. I can recall at least a half dozen occurrences in the past few months guys flying for hobby were coming right back to upgrade to the X5S. You'll become hooked and look to bring your imaging to the next step and will be happy you chose the X5S with the larger sensor over the X4S.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions, our team is happy to help :)

Reactions: PatrickP
Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I thought I would post here...

I am looking at getting the I2 just for hobby flying. Are there others in this group that have done the same? If so what package did you end up going with?

Thanks in advance,

S

Honestly, I love my i2 after upgrading from the p4, But i would recommend if the purchase is not a hurry to wait for a new revision. i was bit by the red prop rattle issue since feb, and neither the dealer nor DJI has made any meaningful effort to resolve it :( what if it was something serious..... I suspect nearly every i2 has the red prop rattle issue if they are not using aftermarket props. i digress. i expect better when spending 5K+. i dont want to go on a long winded rant. if you want details PM me.

Last edited:
Hey Patrick,
I've seen some of the Red Prop issues on You Tube. Having had my P4P for only 5 weeks and then had to send it into DJI and dealing with the support idiots I can understand your frustrations. My Mavic is also giving me issues but I have held off on sending it in so far. I love the DJI birds but the sorry excuse for support and their crappy software updates are a joke. Having said that I love the hobby (only been flying drones since mid Feb) and the video and pictures I am getting are wicked cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeganSugde