Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Live Announcement...

I'm curious why DJI support would tell me otherwise.
DJI support also said a case was not included.
Probably their phone people haven't seen them yet and are just going from specs.
They were right on the non-compatible batteries and it seems that the backpack is an optional extra.

@Meta4,

I checked out your photo's, very nice! What lens were you using for the fisheye pix? I love that, were these take on the 2+ with the factory camera?

cheers,
Lesn8r

no paul, luckly im still free to choose, but i wasnt expecting something like this (P3) would happens or at least, so soon, why, someone forced you?

nobody was man...nobody, as I was watching the live thingy my jaw was literally on the floor, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I'm pretty much over it now, I have an Inspire and it's a great platform...yes more features are gonna cost us more money but whatever, is what it is.

Reactions: Highrpm955
To clear up a few misconceptions ..

It's the same app ... nothing else in there, no features you don't have.

No .. it's the same size and fits a P2 case

Check again ... it's the same app. No new features.
POI, GS & Follow Me are only examples of features that might become available if/when SDK developers write them.

The Hyundai doesn't have any features lacking in the Inspire (except cheaper batteries, a lightweight package and a cheaper price). But it does have 90+% of what the Inspire has.

AND, the Phantom will always suffer from having 'prop-in-shot' syndrome. This is actually quite an issue when youre trying to use it in breezy conditions as it leans into the wind quite heavily and the amount of cropping post production to remove those images and flickering will kind of spoil it a bit I think. I can see that a few people are pissed but I'm seeing it as a great way to upgrade my old P2 to something with much more parity to my I1 for much less money.

I'm not trying to justify here, but when you unleash your I1, pull the gears up, twist it around whilst stable as hell, does your audience not gasp at the technology? You gotta admit, it's worth the extra $ to have a rock solid platform like the I1. This is not a toy, this is a piece of goddamn precision equipment. Sure, I'm pissed that they stuffed 90% of the tech in the P3. But show up with a client with an I1, they will be amazed. Show up with a P3, and have this "toy like" object going bbzbbbzbbzbzzzzzz and bouncing all over the place, I know what I would be more impressed with.

AND, the Phantom will always suffer from having 'prop-in-shot' syndrome. This is actually quite an issue when youre trying to use it in breezy conditions as it leans into the wind quite heavily and the amount of cropping post production to remove those images and flickering will kind of spoil it a bit I think. I can see that a few people are pissed but I'm seeing it as a great way to upgrade my old P2 to something with much more parity to my I1 for much less money.
The reduced FOV of the camera is said to remove prop-shot (because it's aimed at reducing fish-eye).

Edit: Apparently with 'aggressive' flying, you'll still get props in the shot, but should at least be reduced compared to P2 in normal operation.

Last edited:

I beg to differ on the prop-in-shot issue. I have a Phantom 2 non-vision with GoPro and gimbal and if you reduce the FOV to "medium" you get no props in shots at all.

It is what it is.

Hopefully DJI will throw us a bone or two at NAB 2015 next week.

Firmware v18 with a bunch of issues fixed, an MFT 4K camera upgrade and handheld gimbal availability would be a nice start.

Last edited:
i think there's far too much complaining going on here, for what was totally obvious. When I chose the Inspire, it was always obvious to me that all the features, app etc, would go to the Phantom. It is obvious business. The phantom is DJI's main line of income I would imagine, and they're not going to overly restrict its development just to keep Inspire owners happy.

All this tech that is in the inspire has come about because of testing and developments on the phantom, so we can't complain.

so the phantom 3 can more or less do anything that an inspire can do. Sure. But not all, and not as well. An experienced operator can get it to do better stuff than a beginner on an Inspire, but then a rally driver could get a Golf GTI round the Nurburgring quicker than I could get a Ferarri round. Does that make the Ferrari crap? No. I'd still rather have the Ferrari. And I'll put up with the rally driver's smugness.

If you look at these kinds of industries it's the same everywhere. can a professional photographer get a better shot with an iphone than I can on my D750. Sure. but I love having my D750 and I can put new lenses on it which will keep me interested.

etc etc etc.

i think there's far too much complaining going on here, for what was totally obvious. When I chose the Inspire, it was always obvious to me that all the features, app etc, would go to the Phantom. It is obvious business. The phantom is DJI's main line of income I would imagine, and they're not going to overly restrict its development just to keep Inspire owners happy.

All this tech that is in the inspire has come about because of testing and developments on the phantom, so we can't complain.

so the phantom 3 can more or less do anything that an inspire can do. Sure. But not all, and not as well. An experienced operator can get it to do better stuff than a beginner on an Inspire, but then a rally driver could get a Golf GTI round the Nurburgring quicker than I could get a Ferarri round. Does that make the Ferrari crap? No. I'd still rather have the Ferrari. And I'll put up with the rally driver's smugness.

If you look at these kinds of industries it's the same everywhere. can a professional photographer get a better shot with an iphone than I can on my D750. Sure. but I love having my D750 and I can put new lenses on it which will keep me interested.

etc etc etc.

No offense, but that's spoken like someone whose got money to toss around more than anything...

Which of course there is nothing wrong with that.

well then you're misinterpreting it. I don't at all, and unlike many people on here I won't be buying a p3 as well.

in fact I think my purchase was possibly far more considered than the people who are complaining. I looked beyond next week and understood that as with any technology purchase, the inspire will soon be replaced with something better. But what I saw in the Inspire appealed to me so I stretched my budged (including selling all my old stuff) and I bought it. I'm happy with it, even now that I see something half the price does most of what my inspire does.

It's a fools game this, and there's no point in complaining when something has come along that is better for less money. Have you ever bought a computer before?!

by the way the ferrari is an analogy. (!)

Reactions: JimPA
We have filmed a lot with our Phantom 2 and got some awesome footage, but nothing beats those compound moves that you get when the camera is operated independant of the uav. That's what makes the Inspire just unbeatable as an aerial video platform at that price point. I've looked at a few other options, but to get all that the Inspire offers, I'd have to spend 2 to 3 times the amount. And now, having an affordable and completely capable Phantom 3 as a backup is great! We might even get a better camera for our Inspires soon, which I would love to have...

I fully understood that the technology used on the Inspire would be passed down to the little brother just like when your are growing up with siblings and passing down hand me down clothes. So you pass some of your clothes down and some of your knowledge gained from experience but you do not give your little brother everything you slowly disburse it.

Reactions: Highrpm955
no paul, luckly im still free to choose, but i wasnt expecting something like this (P3) would happens or at least, so soon, why, someone forced you?

As a adult I am making my own decisions . I didn't ordered inspire the same day it was announced ( to impress anyone; to be first to have it ,or just to have it). I did my research and observation and several months later I made a design to buy one.
There is big number of companies who is racing there products on market ,but as far as I know the DJI in only one to bring new /improved product for lower price

It is sick and poisonous to complain about new product wishing the price was higher or was released much later , only because I spent much more for my product.
I thing by releasing P3 inspire owners will only benefit of it, because demand for inspire will obviously drop and the craft or parts availability will be much easier.
Still I thing the inspire is good deal and I am happy for those who is planing to buy P3; 15 years ago similar craft like P2 was $ 10-15K. How lucky we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard-Inspire
I fully understood that the technology used on the Inspire would be passed down to the little brother just like when your are growing up with siblings and passing down hand me down clothes. So you pass some of your clothes down and some of your knowledge gained from experience but you do not give your little brother everything you slowly disburse it.

i don't really think this analogy has anything to do with what's going on here. The little brother gets the clothes as hand me downs because they're used. if you give him all your clothes too soon before they're not sufficiently used that's the same as buying an Inspire (or a car) and selling it for a loss a few weeks later. not good economics.

i think the analogy is more like getting annoyed because your little bro's clothes (which he bought for less money) appear to be just as cool as yours. But maybe his will wear more quickly, or they're less well built, or a less cool label.

Reactions: Mazz
I thing by releasing P3 inspire owners will only benefit of it, because demand for inspire will obviously drop and the craft or parts availability will be much easier.
Still I thing the inspire is good deal and I am happy for those who is planing to buy P3; 15 years ago similar craft like P2 was $ 10-15K. How lucky we are.
so you think that if fewer people buy the I1, buying the P3 instead that will help us?
if the P3 floods the market and I1 no longer sold as before, there will be little-to-no improvement.
which company will invest tons of money on high-quality products when they are only 5% to 10% of the market?
and even if they did, which is the only way to recover those tons of money when your potential buyers are just a few?
HIGH PRICES

I bet we'll see first P3 + before a major improvement in I1

thats why, my last comment was "the only good thing I see in all of this, is that sharing the same APP (SDK), we will benefit from all the people / companies that will develop addons for P3"

In any case, this is just my own and personal opinion, im not saying it's the only and absolute truth, you are welcome to disagree, but I still have my right to express what I personally think about the announcement, like you, like everyone else, or not?

well then you're misinterpreting it. I don't at all, and unlike many people on here I won't be buying a p3 as well.

in fact I think my purchase was possibly far more considered than the people who are complaining. I looked beyond next week and understood that as with any technology purchase, the inspire will soon be replaced with something better. But what I saw in the Inspire appealed to me so I stretched my budged (including selling all my old stuff) and I bought it. I'm happy with it, even now that I see something half the price does most of what my inspire does.

It's a fools game this, and there's no point in complaining when something has come along that is better for less money. Have you ever bought a computer before?!

by the way the ferrari is an analogy. (!)

That's a bold statement to make. Yes I agree completely with you. Which is why I think DJI pretty much wrote off the Inspire. Did you happen to notice we didn't even get a firmware update before this announcement not that I'm in dire need of it after this awesome app update we got. On top of that the arguments people are making for the inspire are outstanding, the handheld gimbal, the newer camera (which we don't even know if it is in the works or will be for that matter) I mean it's a little extreme because anything that they do (if anything, I mean what would be the point if p3 sales skyrocket and i1 sales completely pitfall) is going to cost us more money, which is understandable. Like I said, my guess is they wrote it off, they are focused on the i2 at this point and making that the next dream machine and the probably have been since the launch of the i1.

The problem isn't with current owners, we've already given them our money. The question is for future owners....Why should I buy an Inspire 1 over a Phantom 3? Which is a very challenging question to answer. Any Inspire owner will defend it to the bitter end but the bottom line is odds are you are talking to a bank account, not a person. Even given the faults a p3 has over an i1 isn't enough (in my opinion) to warrant the higher cost, the p3 can be purchased faster as the owner doesn't have to save as long, and I have no doubts that you'll be able to capture just as amazing footage with it (even with it's faults) as you could with an i1. Cause like you said give a photographer a iphone and he'll take a stellar image, give a amateur an iphone and you get whatever you get.

It's one thing to hand to down little by little features and is/was to be expected. There was a lot that I was expecting to see from the p3, but by no means was I expecting to see 90% of our technology passed down. But it is what it is, and now it's just a waiting game to see what they do or don't do for the Inspire 1. Hopefully I'm wrong about everything I said.

@skylabimaging
I'm sorry, but I just don't see anything wrong with your statements at all...and that depresses me.
I'll still support my Inspire all the way...but there's no way I can support a company with this marketing strategy and blatant lack of product and customer support.

...Come here 3DR...your stuff looks great as well!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc