Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New FW 1.8.1.00 Issued 7 Apr 16

It's been a while since I updated my firmware and I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct. If this is correct may I request it or a modified version be made a sticky and as the process changes the sticky can be updated. I ask this because there are any number of things that various people see things differently and see things differently than DJI so having a sticky for firmware updates that's updated as the process changes should make the fumbling and bricking less common.

As per the instructions on page 66 of the Inspire 1 Pro User Manual, and some additional info to avoid confusion, I do the following:

1. Download the firmware update package from the DJI website and copy to a uSD card.

2. With copter and RC off and copter battery at 50% or more put the uSD card with update into camera slot then power up the copter with the RC remaining off -- wait while the camera status LED blinks red and green until it stops blinking at which point update is complete.

3. Verify the copter is updated by checking the confirmation status on the uSD card on the PC/MAC --only after copter update is complete and verified do you proceed to update the RC.

4. Make sure DJI GO app is at latest level -- check first and update as required.

5. Connect the mobile device to RC and make sure it has access to the internet. RC should be at least 50% power level.

6. Download firmware to device as follows:
A. GO App > Camera View > System Status bar > Overall Status
B. Tap 'download the firmware update package'
C. Monitor update via progress bar in GO app -- the RC status LED will link blue during update -- when update complete the LED will blink green.

7. Repeat copter update with each battery to update the battery firmware.

Brian

Add between 3 and 4...Make sure AC is off before attempting to update the RC.

Must admit I'm not convinced a sticky procedure is a good thing. Folks need to learn the vital importance of reading and understanding the manual and the update/release notes. Lessons learned the hard way are remembered especially well. Too much spoon feeding is not always good. Just my opinion.

Add between 3 and 4...Make sure AC is off before attempting to update the RC.

Must admit I'm not convinced a sticky procedure is a good thing. Folks need to learn the vital importance of reading and understanding the manual and the update/release notes. Lessons learned the hard way are remembered especially well. Too much spoon feeding is not always good. Just my opinion.

Well that is a valid point, but we get conflicting information and information that differs from what DJI says. DJI tells us to calibrate the compass anytime you move to a new location but others here say not to do that but to check the MOD values. So, where do you go and who do you listen to? With a sticky you have some consensus before it's changed and the info may well be somewhat different than what DJI says.

To other side of the spoon feeding coin is ambiguity and I'd argue that's a lot worse! I mean it's not like folks here haven't screwed this up now is it...

Brian

Reactions: slim.slamma
Hi @RaptorMan The only time I calibrate my compass is just after a firmware update, this has always worked for me. It was the same when I was flying my P2V. The only time I recalibrated my P2V was when I took it abroad. I know DJI say calibrate every time but I've also heard horror stories about doing it to much.

Updated both my Inspire 1 (X3's) aircraft, RC's and 7 batteries with this firmware. Flights today were good. No issues noted.

I had an issue with one battery during the update. It initially failed, and aircraft was making a noise like a banshee. Found I had to use another battery to restart the Inspire to clear the problem, but on the second attempt the battery upgraded and now reports reports normal.

Just posted a video in that section after the FW update, and also the latest GO app for iOS. Comparing the flights with prior firmware I think the controls are more sensitive now, and I had a little more vertical movement during hovering than I was use too. Also I found the auto landing gear down failed twice, which I never had before so had to operated gear down before landing. Both birds are behaving the same.

The good news is no transmission breaks, or fly aways, and the resulting video images were usable. Battery life span was as expected, and no sudden voltage falls. I will comment on the iOS update in the relevant section.

One further point on making the firmware update procedure a sticky...

The thought behind my recommendation is that the process is somewhat complicated and has changed several times in just the last year, and missing something or doing it in the wrong order can brick your bird so having a checklist should make following the procedure and doing it correctly much more likely. And it's not as though checklists are frowned upon by commercial and military aviation or by NASA. Or maybe they're just being spoon fed!

Brian

Reactions: Ozziepauly
Hi @RaptorMan The only time I calibrate my compass is just after a firmware update, this has always worked for me. It was the same when I was flying my P2V. The only time I recalibrated my P2V was when I took it abroad. I know DJI say calibrate every time but I've also heard horror stories about doing it to much.

I missed your post until now...

Yeah, I was following the guidance DJI provides on compass calibration and was corrected by the Editor for this. The only thing is that without something more precise to tell you when to calibrate the compass you're kind of left thinking you do it once after a firmware update and then only if the MOD values are out. But, out by how much?

Also, here in the States you can have very different values for magnetic declination and I'm not sure that folks living in the much smaller regions like the UK have nearly as much variation in magnetic declination. I haven't moved far enough between flight locations to notice much but I'll be heading about 500 miles south in a few days so hopefully the MOD values will tell me the compass needs calibration if the declination is sufficiently different.

Brian

I missed your post until now...

Yeah, I was following the guidance DJI provides on compass calibration and was corrected by the Editor for this. The only thing is that without something more precise to tell you when to calibrate the compass you're kind of left thinking you do it once after a firmware update and then only if the MOD values are out. But, out by how much?

Also, here in the States you can have very different values for magnetic declination and I'm not sure that folks living in the much smaller regions like the UK have nearly as much variation in magnetic declination. I haven't moved far enough between flight locations to notice much but I'll be heading about 500 miles south in a few days so hopefully the MOD values will tell me the compass needs calibration if the declination is sufficiently different.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Your Mod values will tell you if it's needed but mine have always been good. Please let us know how you get on & if you had to recalibrate your compass. Glad I don't have to do the silly compass dance on every location....

Good luck my friend.

Hi Brian,

Your Mod values will tell you if it's needed but mine have always been good. Please let us know how you get on & if you had to recalibrate your compass. Glad I don't have to do the silly compass dance on every location....

Good luck my friend.

I just did the firmware update process but have not yet done the sticks, IMU or compass calibration. I don't anticipate any issues and had none doing the firmware update. Updated copter/camera and all 8 flight batteries then updated the RC -- no problem.

Actually, I always have issues with RC-Copter communications while inside my apartment as the comm link always shows as poor. I'll take her out tomorrow and do a full post firmware calibration of the sticks, IMU and compass in a place that's away from electrical/magnetic sources that might effect the compass and away from wifi signals that can mess with the comm link. Need to make sure the location is level for the IMU calibration.

Brian

I just did the firmware update process but have not yet done the sticks, IMU or compass calibration. I don't anticipate any issues and had none doing the firmware update. Updated copter/camera and all 8 flight batteries then updated the RC -- no problem.

Actually, I always have issues with RC-Copter communications while inside my apartment as the comm link always shows as poor. I'll take her out tomorrow and do a full post firmware calibration of the sticks, IMU and compass in a place that's away from electrical/magnetic sources that might effect the compass and away from wifi signals that can mess with the comm link. Need to make sure the location is level for the IMU calibration.
Brian

I calibrate my sticks/IMU/gimbal in doors on a flat surface but the only time I take my inspire outside is just to calibrate the compass, then I'm good to go.

I upgraded to the latest firmware a couple of days ago but not had the chance to test because of the weather here in the UK:(

Rain, rain & more rain.... Today was great (weather wise) but I've been at work:eek: that's just tipical so this coming Friday should be the 1st time I test.

I calibrate my sticks/IMU/gimbal in doors on a flat surface but the only time I take my inspire outside is just to calibrate the compass, then I'm good to go.

I upgraded to the latest firmware a couple of days ago but not had the chance to test because of the weather here in the UK:(

Rain, rain & more rain.... Today was great (weather wise) but I've been at work:eek: that's just tipical so this coming Friday should be the 1st time I test.
Tuesday and Wednesday should be beautiful with light winds as well. :)

Tuesday and Wednesday should be beautiful with light winds as well. :)

We do get rain here in Utah, about 20 inches a year, but being the high desert it tends to come in bunches with many days of blue skies in between. Actually, that's also one of the down sides as the constant blue skies can be boring as hell...

I'll be heading south towards Moab and other places even more remote tomorrow and have a list of places to fly. Also bringing my other photo gear (Nikon D800E's, D7200 and about 6 pro lenses). Between my Inspire and it's accessories and my cameras and there accessories and the other things like laptops, phones, clothes and hiking gear my little Ford Focus is going to be packed. Should be a fun 6-9 days.

Brian

Completed the IMU, sticks and compass calibration and all looks good. The MOD values for the IMU were 0.00 and 1.00 while for the compass it dithered between 1485 and 1520 -- so, looking good.

Charging up half of my 8 batteries tonight and will be heading out for my trip tomorrow morning. I was intending to head straight for Moab but it looks like the weather will be a bit dicey on the east side of Utah for a day or two so I'll head west of there.

Getting pretty excited -- I just love driving in the Utah desert...

Brian

Completed the IMU, sticks and compass calibration and all looks good. The MOD values for the IMU were 0.00 and 1.00 while for the compass it dithered between 1485 and 1520 -- so, looking good.

Charging up half of my 8 batteries tonight and will be heading out for my trip tomorrow morning. I was intending to head straight for Moab but it looks like the weather will be a bit dicey on the east side of Utah for a day or two so I'll head west of there.

Getting pretty excited -- I just love driving in the Utah desert...

Brian

Enjoy your trip & flying;)

Updated... all went smooth.
I am glad yours went well.

I purposely held back in upgrading my FW because of some, ugh, past issues.

Well I did the deed again and seriously I need a priest or a voodoo witchdoctor cause this is just scaring the sh*t outta me.

For the 4th or 5th time I upgraded my FW it has been possessed with strange upgrade results.

Just look...

Delete history success.

Upgrading ...
Result: F*ck. You finally upgraded me you wanker.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:06 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: WM610_FW_V01.08.01.00.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Psst OC, Jennifer Lawrence says she is secretly in love with you.

Upgrading ...
Result: Feel the Bern.

Upgrading ...
Result: I feel sorry for people that want the M600. LOL!

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:07 remo-con disconnect======
Upgrading ...
Result: When you get on that bus, you get there.

Upgrading ...
Result: You are such a Sexy Beast Outta Control.

========== 2016.04.18 18:00:51 =====================
Result: Please respond.
The firmware on the SD card is f*cking awesome than the current firmware on the device.

========== 2016.04.18 18:06:41 =====================
Result: Abortion is for you.
Just kidding, but the firmware on the SD card an identical twin or a bastardized version than the current firmware on the device.

Sorry for this but just wanted to pass along that I seriously need an exorcist.

Not only is my Inspire possessed it now appears my Trainer Drone, Phantom 3 Standard, has also been possessed.

I am so screwed. :(

This is what came out of the update...

"========== 2016.01.30 16:09:29 =====================
Packet: P3C_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ... Please hold

========== 2016.01.31 11:57:05 =====================
Upgrading ... Thank you for holding, please enjoy DJI's latest hit, "Dit...Dit...Dit...Dit"

========== 2014.01.01 00:01:03 remo-con disconnect======
Upgrading ... BTW your Inspire told me that Jennifer Lawrence is in love with you. I'd hit it also. ;)

========== 2016.04.18 18:04:59 =====================
Upgrading ...
Result: Good News. Taylor Swift is not pregnant."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu