Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The power of perseverance :)

Reaction score
I was given a DJI 15mm lens a while ago, which, together with it's X5 camera had been for a little trip in the sea.

Predictably, trying the lens on my Olympus PEN EPM1 test mule didn't do much - just a black screen on the display, but at least it didn't complain about the lens (I have a smashed Olympus 12mm which the camera does NOT like at all)

Given the lens is essentially a Panasonic 15mm ASPH lens (maybe without the Leica optics), I contacted the UK repair centre for Panasonic. Unfortunately they're take was that being DJI-branded, there were no servicable parts inside and that a salt-water dunking would be terminal anyway.

I was curious to see inside it and there was nothing to lose so I dissected as much as I could, taking photos along the way so I could get it back together again. The rear lens element was cleaned and I brushed clean all of the electronics with 99.9% isopropanol, then popped it back on the camera.

Surprisingly I now got an image onscreen! None of the focusing worked and the dirty central lens made for a really murky shot but it was progress of a sort.

It got me to thinking - for drone work, if I could set the aperture wide open and the focus to infinity, it'd work pretty well. Certainly better than scrapping it.

I had another go at disassembling it and after a lot of head scratching (and using much more force than was comfortable) I managed to disassemble the front of the lens too. This provided the necessary access to the focusing lens and diaphragm so I was able to clean the rest of the lenses and gave the motors an isopropanol bath.

It all went back together again and back on the camera to see whether i could now get a clear image. Not only was the image nice and clear, the autofocusing had popped back into life.

All in all a better result than I could possibly have hoped for.A methodical approach, some perseverance and a healthy dollop of luck can get you a long way!

Last edited:
I was given a DJI 15mm lens a while ago, which, together with it's X5 camera had been for a little trip in the sea.

Predictably, trying the lens on my Olympus PEN EPM1 test mule didn't do much - just a black screen on the display, but at least it didn't complain about the lens (I have a smashed Olympus 12mm which the camera does NOT like at all)

Given the lens is essentially a Panasonic 15mm ASPH lens (maybe without the Leica optics), I contacted the UK repair centre for Panasonic. Unfortunately they're take was that being DJI-branded, there were no servicable parts inside and that a salt-water dunking would be terminal anyway.

I was curious to see inside it and there was nothing to lose so I dissected as much as I could, taking photos along the way so I could get it back together again. The rear lens element was cleaned and I brushed clean all of the electronics with 99% acetone, then popped it back on the camera.

Surprisingly I now got an image onscreen! None of the focusing worked and the dirty central lens made for a really murky shot but it was progress of a sort.

It got me to thinking - for drone work, if I could set the aperture wide open and the focus to infinity, it'd work pretty well. Certainly better than scrapping it.

I had another go at disassembling it and after a lot of head scratching (and using much more force than was comfortable) I managed to disassemble the front of the lens too. This provided the necessary access to the focusing lens and diaphragm so I was able to clean the rest of the lenses and gave the motors and acetone bath.

It all went back together again and back on the camera to see whether i could now get a clear image. Not only was the image nice and clear, the autofocusing had popped back into life.

All in all a better result than I could possibly have hoped for.A methodical approach, some perseverance and a healthy dollop of luck can get you a long way!
Good news.......for now but don't be too surprised if the salt water gets you in the end. :(
Salt water corrosion starts from the second it gets a dunking and on electronic/optics doesn't really ever stop.
I admire your perseverance but time will tell if it is still serviceable after a few months......
Good luck.

Thanks Ed., it's a good point you make. Truthfully, I'm not expecting it to last but I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo