Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X4S vs. X5S

I have been a photographer for over 40 years and I found tools don't make you better. you have to better your skills. if you have to ask about the difference between the two cameras you're not ready for that particular camera yet. With the price difference of the two cameras being such a widespread, if you went with the x4s you could purchase Mavric pro and battery for the price of the x5s. If your skill level surpasses that of the X4s, get the 5s, I got my inspired 2 in February with the x4s and have made 7k. And I fly my Mavric everyday to work on my flying skill.

Hi Bigrich007
I agree 100%. I don't believe myself or the OP would be able to tell the difference between identical photos taken with the x4s and with the x5s given good lighting conditions. Even when pixel peeping. (I still use a D2x in my studio with a Novatron light kit.) The difference is the manual control capability of the x5s to be able to get better nightshots, shallow depth of field shots, and the use of various lenses with various focal lengths. Then add on top of this all the potential video capabilities. Holly cow!!!! So that being said....... if all you are interested in is still photos, taken with adequate lighting, without shallow depth of field, and up to 4K video, then the x4s is the one for you. I do use a D800 to take photos of the local symphony. The D2x can't handle the dark at all.
Point here is that with good even light ing most cameras work well.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Hi Bigrich007
I agree 100%. I don't believe myself or the OP would be able to tell the difference between identical photos taken with the x4s and with the x5s given good lighting conditions. Even when pixel peeping. (I still use a D2x in my studio with a Novatron light kit.) The difference is the manual control capability of the x5s to be able to get better nightshots, shallow depth of field shots, and the use of various lenses with various focal lengths. Then add on top of this all the potential video capabilities. Holly cow!!!! So that being said....... if all you are interested in is still photos, taken with adequate lighting, without shallow depth of field, and up to 4K video, then the x4s is the one for you. I do use a D800 to take photos of the local symphony. The D2x can't handle the dark at all.
Point here is that with good even light ing most cameras work well.

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner. I agree completely. As I understand it, the X4S is more video oriented while the X5S excels in still photography because of lens interchangeability. I love to fly and shoot at night and I feel the X5S gives me the tools I need to accomplish this.

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner. I agree completely. As I understand it, the X4S is more video oriented while the X5S excels in still photography because of lens interchangeability. I love to fly and shoot at night and I feel the X5S gives me the tools I need to accomplish this.

well not exactly true. The X4S is a good fixed lens camera but it doesnt match the X5S which has more dynamic range, better color depth and more data rate, along with the ability to shoot a true raw and ProRes. The X4S is a still a H.264 compressed image that limits what you can recover in post. The X5S is the Video oriented camera. The X4S is a value oriented camera

Reactions: deltalimatango
well not exactly true. The X4S is a good fixed lens camera but it doesnt match the X5S which has more dynamic range, better color depth and more data rate, along with the ability to shoot a true raw and ProRes. The X4S is a still a H.264 compressed image that limits what you can recover in post. The X5S is the Video oriented camera. The X4S is a value oriented camera

Thanks for the correction and I can see your point a bit more objectively. Yes, the X4S is a value oriented camera that does great work but lacks in some of the features for the X5S. Either way, I don't think you can go very wrong by owning either or both.

we moved from the Phantom 4 to Inspire 1 with X5 and now the I2 with X5S using the 12mm olympus (mainly) for stills for mapping, scene imagery and surveys, and we find the definition and quality on the X5S miles better than anything previously - obviously, Im only talking still during the day, but for us, it was well worth it. Saying that, I am looking for an X4S to supplement the system to allow for lower quality but longer flights for larger areas - but again thats my choice. If you have the funds for the X5S and you want control, different lenses, the larger sensor, then go for it! Like others have said you wont be disappointed. Look for used, I paid less than £1000 for my X5S, there are some around. Ask on here - thats what I did!

I agree....bluelight.support
I will be looking for an x4s for the same reasons you use one. Over 3/4 of my work is mapping for Engineering. To photogrammetry software, 20mp is 20mp. The minisicule difference in pixel pitch between the cameras is negligible. Again, given good even lighting, the x4s is excellent for mapping.......... plus more flight time. Note: The new to be out soon Matrice 200etc will come with a slightly larger battery option that is supposed to fit the I2. I will be purchasing a pair as soon as they come out. Hope to get at least 7 more min of flight. God only knows........

I have been a photographer for over 40 years and I found tools don't make you better. you have to better your skills. if you have to ask about the difference between the two cameras you're not ready for that particular camera yet. With the price difference of the two cameras being such a widespread, if you went with the x4s you could purchase Mavric pro and battery for the price of the x5s. If your skill level surpasses that of the X4s, get the 5s, I got my inspired 2 in February with the x4s and have made 7k. And I fly my Mavric everyday to work on my flying skill.

I am my in my infancy when it comes to photography admittedly. That being said I am taking a photogrammetry course and have learned a bit about apperture settings, white balance (which can not be turned off on the p4p only customized), pixel distribution, skeleton calculations, feature aggregation to find center points and the like. I have a phantom 4 pro now and while I have some control over the image (raw file of course) I am working on perfecting my technique to acquire the most accurate portrayal of reality possible (not pretty, precise). I am simply wondering if there are marked differences in the x4s and x5s versus the phantom 4 pro camera that would result in finer more precise 3D point clouds. Currently flat walls and pavement result in a (for lack of a better term) "bumpy" 3D surface. Any advice from an expert such as yourself would be greatly appreciated.

I am my in my infancy when it comes to photography admittedly. That being said I am taking a photogrammetry course and have learned a bit about apperture settings, white balance (which can not be turned off on the p4p only customized), pixel distribution, skeleton calculations, feature aggregation to find center points and the like. I have a phantom 4 pro now and while I have some control over the image (raw file of course) I am working on perfecting my technique to acquire the most accurate portrayal of reality possible (not pretty, precise). I am simply wondering if there are marked differences in the x4s and x5s versus the phantom 4 pro camera that would result in finer more precise 3D point clouds. Currently flat walls and pavement result in a (for lack of a better term) "bumpy" 3D surface. Any advice from an expert such as yourself would be greatly appreciated.

The flat walls being bumpy is from the curved field distortion of the X4S lens. Going to the X5S opens up your range of lens and with you you can get a few that give exceptional results

The flat walls being bumpy is from the curved field distortion of the X4S lens. Going to the X5S opens up your range of lens and with you you can get a few that give exceptional results

I took these with the phantom 4 pro but I assume the same applies. Do you do photogrammetry? If so can you recommend an appropriate lense?

Last edited:
Check out this YouTube video
this may help. I am an old school nature photographer Patience and a eye for composition. x5s is a better camera and has wider range and latitude. putting the I2 in the right spot in the sky to caught a sunset or eagles fishing sometimes takes days. The perfect shoot will look better on the s5x if you do it with the s4x no one can tell Google Ansel Adams

Well.... Afterall, I've ordered the DJI Inspire 2 with X5S today. I'm still in Africa so can pick it up in June. Since hard weeks ahead. I have my other Mavic here, one at home too. And the Inspire.
Yuneec H520 with infrared is next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineC