Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

new beta just got pushed out - waypoint mode is pretty intense! you need a master course on this thing - sooo many options.. have no clue what I'm doing!

Figured it out and I'm loving it! In my opinion it can not be better implemented with all that functionality!

Two minor things:
  1. With waypoints on the map and switching to another marker size, the waypoint markers are gone. They're coming back by switching to another mode and then back to waypoint mode.
  2. If I switch the marker size to a smaller one in settings, the info boxes of the markers are getting smaller too. I'd like to set up my initial path with large markers and switch to smaller ones later on but I'd prefer to have large info boxes / larger text sizes. Perhaps it's possible to enable that with a separate switch in settings in a later version?

Last edited:
Looks awesome!!

1) I would like ability to see params of all Waypoints at once. So for example right now where you have the waypoints in the list i would like to be able to expand that list so that I could change altitude and speed of each one more quickly and also that would give me the reference of the prev and next waypoints without having to switch back and forth.

2) It would be nice to be able to expand and collapse each section so that the map could be closer to the section that i am working on to see the effects of the changes i am making.

3) A clear all button would be nice (perhaps under the save and load button).

4) Would you be able to explain the differences between the Mission Types and also under Focus Strategy the difference between Triggers and Subject

Figured it out and I'm loving it! In my opinion it can not be better implemented with all that functionality!
Thanks!

With waypoints on the map and switching to another marker size, the waypoint markers are gone. They're coming back by switching to another mode and then back to waypoint mode.
Thanks for reporting this. It will be corrected in the next version.

Perhaps it's possible to enable that with a separate switch in settings in a later version?
Definitely open to adding this setting.

Reactions: skyscope
1) I would like ability to see params of all Waypoints at once. So for example right now where you have the waypoints in the list i would like to be able to expand that list so that I could change altitude and speed of each one more quickly and also that would give me the reference of the prev and next waypoints without having to switch back and forth.
You want to be able to edit all the waypoint altitudes and speeds on one long scrolling window, or you want just see them all in a list and still have to tap in to them to edit?

It would be nice to be able to expand and collapse each section so that the map could be closer to the section that i am working on to see the effects of the changes i am making.
The only setting that really affects what the map looks like is the End Point, which just closes or opens the loop.

A clear all button would be nice (perhaps under the save and load button).
This can be accomplished in two ways currently:
  1. Tapping Restore Defaults in the same menu as Save / Load Flight plan
  2. Tapping the Reference Point, and then tapping it again for more options

Would you be able to explain the differences between the Mission Types and also under Focus Strategy the difference between Triggers and Subject
Since we haven't updated Flight School yet:
  1. Mission Types
    1. Patrol - Autopilot flies back and forth a set number of times, or continues the loop a set number of times if the End Point is set to the First Waypoint. When the limit is reached it executes the mission completion action (hover or RTH).
    2. Joystick - If you press Up on the Right Joystick Autopilot will fly forward through the waypoints, and vice versa if you press Down.
    3. Mark - Autopilot will fly the waypoints up until the Mark point. On closed loop courses, it will choose fly in the direction that results in the least distance travelled.
  2. Focus Strategies
    1. Triggers - Allows you to place one or more "triggers" at various points on the path which can then define a Focus Strategy for that part of the path (until the next trigger). Triggers can be linked (interpolation) if the strategies are the same
    2. All others - Essentially allow you to choose one Focus Strategy for the entire path. Using 1 trigger would result in the same behavior.

You want to be able to edit all the waypoint altitudes and speeds on one long scrolling window, or you want just see them all in a list and still have to tap in to them to edit?

The only setting that really affects what the map looks like is the End Point, which just closes or opens the loop.

This can be accomplished in two ways currently:
  1. Tapping Restore Defaults in the same menu as Save / Load Flight plan
  2. Tapping the Reference Point, and then tapping it again for more options

Since we haven't updated Flight School yet:
  1. Mission Types
    1. Patrol - Autopilot flies back and forth a set number of times, or continues the loop a set number of times if the End Point is set to the First Waypoint. When the limit is reached it executes the mission completion action (hover or RTH).
    2. Joystick - If you press Up on the Right Joystick Autopilot will fly forward through the waypoints, and vice versa if you press Down.
    3. Mark - Autopilot will fly the waypoints up until the Mark point. On closed loop courses, it will choose fly in the direction that results in the least distance travelled.
  2. Focus Strategies
    1. Triggers - Allows you to place one or more "triggers" at various points on the path which can then define a Focus Strategy for that part of the path (until the next trigger). Triggers can be linked (interpolation) if the strategies are the same
    2. All others - Essentially allow you to choose one Focus Strategy for the entire path. Using 1 trigger would result in the same behavior.

man, the waypoint mode in this app is so far and advance above everything else.. it's hard to wrap your head around all the options and possibilities.... great work

completely off topic- would love it if you guys can work your magic to do this sort of tracking:

Reactions: Ascender
Love to see a Preview option for waypoints. Could apply to other modes as well. With all the options it's good to be able to check that the flight will execute like you think it will

No, how do I get to that?
Look for the orange magnifying glass marker.

On a different note, many people have been asking how Autopilot can do what it does, especially relative to the other offerings out there, and the answer is: we use our own Flight Controller. While this affords us many benefits that simply aren't possible otherwise, the primary limitation is that if the drone loses connection it will automatically RTH (if that is what you have set in the GO app) as this is not a normal "SDK Waypoint Mission". We don't consider lost-connection missions safe anyway, so this is something we are okay with, but it is something you should be aware of.

As far as the benefits of this decision, here is an overview of what is possible:
  • Waypoints defined relative to a reference point which allows transforms, “follow” type behavior, and even moving entire paths to other locations via search
  • Multiple Waypoint input methods, including:
    • Direct on map input via long press gestures, insert / append markers, and segment splitting
    • Drawing with drawing markers, with the ability to insert / append new paths to the existing path
    • Aircraft position (DJI GO style), including the gimbal position (think key frames)
  • Real-time modification of the path while flying
  • Waypoint carry-over settings from default or previous waypoints
  • Multiple Mission Types including patrol, mark, joystick
  • Multiple Focus Strategies, including Triggers which allows arbitrary Strategies at any point on the path, not just at Waypoints
  • Triggers can be linked (interpolated)
  • Smooth pathing with true Bezier curves (not just rounded corners)
  • Path Inspection for extremely precise mission planning from a movement and camera perspective
  • Sharing flight plans

On a different note, many people have been asking how Autopilot can do what it does, especially relative to the other offerings out there, and the answer is: we use our own Flight Controller. While this affords us many benefits that simply aren't possible otherwise, the primary limitation is that if the drone loses connection it will automatically RTH (if that is what you have set in the GO app) as this is not a normal "SDK Waypoint Mission". We don't consider lost-connection missions safe anyway, so this is something we are okay with, but it is something you should be aware of.

As far as the benefits of this decision, here is an overview of what is possible:
  • Waypoints defined relative to a reference point which allows transforms, “follow” type behavior, and even moving entire paths to other locations via search
    • Direct on map input via long press gestures, insert / append markers, and segment splitting
    • Drawing with drawing markers, with the ability to insert / append new paths to the existing path
    • Aircraft position (DJI GO style), including the gimbal position (think key frames)
  • Multiple Focus Strategies, including Triggers which allows arbitrary Strategies at any point on the path, not just at Waypoints
  • Path Inspection for extremely precise mission planning from a movement and camera perspective
  • Sharing flight plans

I think it's a great advantage frankly. Other apps simply calling the SDK for higher level waypoint functionality can never accomplish what you guys have done.

WRT Path Inspector, having played with it a bit now I think it's very valuable. The RTH line is an especially nice touch, to clearly see the flight path that would happen should a RTH be invoked.

I didn't realize initially that you can drag the inspector icon around in real time. That's great.

But I think there is a real need to just "play the flight", which would involve animating the Path Inspector along the flight path.

Speed could be selectable at 1X, 2X, 4X or 8X.

• Sharing flight plans
Can the gimbal angle be shown in the path inspector? Thanks

Requests/Suggestion:

1. Gimbal angle shown in path inspector
2. Allow changing waypoint reference by clicking the "waypoint reference" icon then clicking "tap for options". Currently, have to go to inline controls to change reference.
3. Allow waypoint speed to be tied to operator movement when waypoint reference is set to operator. so if operator isn't moving, the aircraft will wait. when operator moves, aircraft will proceed along waypoints.

Last edited:
Can the gimbal angle be shown in the path inspector? Thanks
It is shown for direction strategy triggers.

Can you describe how to do the follow type behavior? I'm guessing by somehow tying the Waypoint reference to the operator but I can't seem to figure out how.
Select advanced controls and change the Reference from POI to Operator.

path inspector doesn't seem to correctly calculate time for vertical type (ascending) waypoints?

I set 2 WP very close together but at different height - ie, 10 ft to 300ft - it is not able to correctly calculate the time it takes to get to 2nd waypoint. always "0:00"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu