Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

If you are trying to place two points right on top of each other to execute a vertical boom, you might consider using Waypoint Mode with a Vertical Waypoint action instead.
This might be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try.

If you really want to you Zip Line, your choices are to just move the Point B marker by dragging it on the map (so as to not alter the altitude), or use the Set Point B button, realizing that you will then have to adjust the altitude after it records the aircraft position.

So basically Fly to Point A (set it), Raise altitude only a few feet (set point b), Then manually adjust slider to desired altitude then Set Point B altitude again?

You would think so but I guess if you don't actually fly to the point it doesn't register.
Not sure I understand this. When you tap Set Point A|B, yes, it registers both location and the altitude of the aircraft for that point. If the altitude of the aircraft is below the min altitude setting, it will bound it.

Not sure I understand this. When you tap Set Point A|B, yes, it registers both location and the altitude of the aircraft for that point. If the altitude of the aircraft is below the min altitude setting, it will bound it.

What I want to accomplish.
A vertical zip line (from point A to point B - straight up), from 20' to 120'

How I tried to accomplish it.
1) Flew to desingated location
2) Zip Line | Basic
3) Set Point A | 20 ft
Did not move the aircraft
4) Changed the Point B altitude to 120 ft and hit Set Point B

Problem was; Point B altitude would not register the 120ft, it would revert back to 20ft. The "location" of Point A didn't change, I only wanted to change the altitude and label it as Point B (to create my vertical zip line) but I wasn't able to do that. Now of course I could (in theory) raise the AC to the desired altitude and then hit Set Point B however that would be no different than just adjusting the altitude slider in the app; you would think.

As you talk about the zip line, i made some tests with it and noticed something strange.

Point A: 20m
Point B: 400m away, 150m

Bird starts at point A on 20m height and launches to point B. The bird reaches very quickly point B but hasn't the correct height so it climbes ~20m while on position. Same behaviour on the way back, it starts at Point B ~150m and flies back to A, was to quick on the spot and descents the last ~10-15m.

You can see the whole thing at (from 0:00 to ~1:23)

PS: as i saw it after i almost wrote the post, this thread is about the BETA but i'm using the lastest official IOS version. If you think this post should not be posted here, please delete, it was not my intention to highjack the discussion..

Chris

Problem was; Point B altitude would not register the 120ft, it would revert back to 20ft. The "location" of Point A didn't change, I only wanted to change the altitude and label it as Point B (to create my vertical zip line) but I wasn't able to do that. Now of course I could (in theory) raise the AC to the desired altitude and then hit Set Point B however that would be no different than just adjusting the altitude slider in the app; you would think.
It reverts back to 20 ft because tapping Set Point B records both the location and the altitude. This was explained in the first response. Adjusting the slider by itself won't work because you need to record the location, otherwise point B will stay wherever it currently is. You either need to drag point B on the Map on top of A, or fly the aircraft to the desired altitude before tapping set point B.

Bird starts at point A on 20m height and launches to point B. The bird reaches very quickly point B but hasn't the correct height so it climbes ~20m while on position. Same behaviour on the way back, it starts at Point B ~150m and flies back to A, was to quick on the spot and descents the last ~10-15m
This is behaving exactly as designed. Per the discussion in flight school on the intro to Zip Line:
If Point A and Point B are at different altitudes, Autopilot will attempt to follow a straight line in three dimensions within the limitation of the max vertical speed of the aircraft. If the horizontal and vertical distance between the points does not allow a completely straight line, Autopilot will finish the vertical movement when it reaches the target Point.

As you talk about the zip line, i made some tests with it and noticed something strange.

Point A: 20m
Point B: 400m away, 150m

Bird starts at point A on 20m height and launches to point B. The bird reaches very quickly point B but hasn't the correct height so it climbes ~20m while on position. Same behaviour on the way back, it starts at Point B ~150m and flies back to A, was to quick on the spot and descents the last ~10-15m.

You can see the whole thing at (from 0:00 to ~1:23)

PS: as i saw it after i almost wrote the post, this thread is about the BETA but i'm using the lastest official IOS version. If you think this post should not be posted here, please delete, it was not my intention to highjack the discussion..

Chris

In the Flight School it states that the copter may not make a smooth transition between Points and may make up the difference at one end or the other and so your flight path should stay clear.

This is behaving exactly as designed. Per the discussion in flight school on the intro to Zip Line:
If Point A and Point B are at different altitudes, Autopilot will attempt to follow a straight line in three dimensions within the limitation of the max vertical speed of the aircraft. If the horizontal and vertical distance between the points does not allow a completely straight line, Autopilot will finish the vertical movement when it reaches the target Point.

Meh.. If you can read you're at a clear advantage.. :)

Thanks!

To cover a little bit my shame: I love Autopilot! Great tool! Great support! Thanks for your work!

Chris

It reverts back to 20 ft because tapping Set Point B records both the location and the altitude. This was explained in the first response. Adjusting the slider by itself won't work because you need to record the location, otherwise point B will stay wherever it currently is. You either need to drag point B on the Map on top of A, or fly the aircraft to the desired altitude before tapping set point B.

May I ask if there is an indication (for planning sake) of how much distance is covered between raises in altitude are applied? For instance if I wanted to travel 150m (zipline A to B) and increase my altitude along the zipline from 10m to 60m. How can I know if 150m is enough distance to complete the altitude adjustment smoothly at say 8.1mph or it is kind of the luck of the draw?

Last edited:
May I ask if there is an indication (for planning sake) of how much distance is covered between raises in altitude are applied? For instance if I wanted to travel 150m (zipline A to B) and increase my altitude along the zipline from 10m to 60m. How can I know if 150m is enough time complete the altitude adjustment smoothly at say 8.1mph or it is kind of the luck of the draw?
I would add to this question: Instead of making a final altitude adjustment at the end, why doesn't zip line slow the speed between the two points so that it does not need to make this final altitude adjustment?

May I ask if there is an indication (for planning sake) of how much distance is covered between raises in altitude are applied? For instance if I wanted to travel 150m (zipline A to B) and increase my altitude along the zipline from 10m to 60m. How can I know if 150m is enough distance to complete the altitude adjustment smoothly at say 8.1mph or it is kind of the luck of the draw?
There is no indication right now, but you could manually compute it by checking the performance specs of your aircraft (max ascent / descent rate) if it was very critical. Granted, it would be nice if it had a warning, but this doesn't exist right now.

Instead of making a final altitude adjustment at the end, why doesn't zip line slow the speed between the two points so that it does not need to make this final altitude adjustment?
No reason, other than it requires more code and it isn't a top priority relative to the rest of the features on the roadmap given the way most people use Zip Line (i.e. it never gets close to the max vertical speed limit).

Reactions: Joel Zieve
@Autoflight Logic

I appreciate all your help.

Can you tell me what I'm doing incorrectly? I tried both methods suggested to create and fly a vertical zipline mission. I first created the zipline mission than pulled point b to the same position and point a. I went out and flew the mission and it was a failure. I tried recording the screen but didn't save it. I created a waypoint mission and below is video. Again I ask, what am I doing incorrectly.

Hello,

Today I just need a little help from pro users.
I planned a Waypoint flight at home to save time on the location.
Once there I knew that I need to adjust the heights to be used properly. Now my question:
How do you fix the correct heights for the waypoints and focus triggers whilst flying the first time your path?

Thanks
Patou

Hello,

Today I just need a little help from pro users.
I planned a Waypoint flight at home to save time on the location.
Once there I knew that I need to adjust the heights to be used properly. Now my question:
How do you fix the correct heights for the waypoints and focus triggers whilst flying the first time your path?

Thanks
Patou

Hit the folder button and save flight, it will ask If you want to update current flight mission.

(at least I think that's what you're asking)

Or tap the first waypoint, a small box will say tap again to edit, edit the altitude, hit next and do it for all the waypoints that need adjustment and then save/update mission.

Hit the folder button and save flight, it will ask If you want to update current flight mission.

(at least I think that's what you're asking)

Or tap the first waypoint, a small box will say tap again to edit, edit the altitude, hit next and do it for all the waypoints that need adjustment and then save/update mission.
Thanks DodgeP, but no...that's not exactly what I want to know.
Imagine you fly uphill for about 2 miles and you want to follow the relief at maybe 30 feets AGL with the pre planned waypoints. You need to adjust and record the heights instantly all the time.
Or say it like that:
I like to launch the waypoint flight and adjust the height with the left joystick and hit the C1button to record every single waypoint.

Sorry for my lack of English but I hope you will understand...

Thanks DodgeP, but no...that's not exactly what I want to know.
Imagine you fly uphill for about 2 miles and you want to follow the relief at maybe 30 feets AGL with the pre planned waypoints. You need to adjust and record the heights instantly all the time.
Or say it like that:
I like to launch the waypoint flight and adjust the height with the left joystick and hit the C1button to record every single waypoint.

Sorry for my lack of English but I hope you will understand...

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. With the DJI App you have to fly the mission and set each waypoint when you get to it. The DJI App will record the waypoint and it's altitude. There is no way (that I know of), to setup waypoints before flying by only using the DJI App.

With the Autoflight App you can set all of your waypoints and have different altitudes for each waypoint prior to ever having the aircraft leave the ground. So if you fly 500ft to a waypoint and want the altitude to be 100ft then fly somewhere else 300ft away but want that altitude to be 30ft, you can.

Patou,

I'm also flying in a mountain area. Although it's nice to plan the mission from home, I've found it's easier (on the nerves) to fly a slow practice mission, setting the waypoints and camera position as you fly along, using the aircraft position for your waypoints. Then, I land, save the mission, change batteries, take off again and engage the mission. I've been getting my best video using this method. If the earth were flat, it would be easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu